it must stop

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Oct 21, 2017.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

I've seen the first few episodes of the new porridge series. I have one thing to say to the BBC,. Please, for the love of god, stop calling this awful junk 'porridge' . Stop grossly offending us true fans of the original and disgracing its name. If you've absolutely got to release this kinda pish then call it something else, anything else, but not porridge. This is truly the effect of pissing on a programmes grave, and a massively sacred one at that. The only reason I can think of is that the bbc has finally given up on the idea of ever producing another good sitcom, and has now simply turned to the idea of commissioning new shows that are vaguely connected to its classics, in order to garner an ounce of credibility

Ant E likes this.
  2. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    No idea what Porridge is but I put it down to the suits in charge. Got to be safe anymore. The tried and true will rule out. Hollywood is the same. Reboot after remake after another insipid take on the same old ideas. That's what happens when the "creative" process is governed by the Boardroom and the accountants instead of by true artists.

3. neilold

It's one of Britain's best loved and revered sitcoms

4. Radio Pluto

Radio Pluto First Technician

It really is, for all it's '70s kitsch at times, the writing is arguably Ronnie Barker's best and you take him away and all you've got is another smegging remake that is utterly devoid of everything that made the original work well and be remembered.

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I don't think Ronnie Barker wrote Porridge.

I caught the end of an episode of the new series yesterday and actually found bits quite funny. Not enough to make an effort to watch more, but I certainly was not as offended by it as others seem to be. It was just an okay sit-com.

6. Radio Pluto

Christ, you're right, I just associate the man with the role and the writing so much. You'd think I'd know better because I love Steptoe and Dad's Army.

I'm handing in my '70s era BBC pass with bum groping privileges.

It would be a relatively harmless sit-com if it didn't trade off the Porridge name, the BBC are shameless for letting it happen.

7. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Correct Ronnie Barker did not write Porrigge, the writers were Dick Clement and Ian la Frenais who are also responsible for writing this new 2017 version.
    To be honest I think the problem is with the casting of the characters not the scripts. The bloke playing Fletch is just terrible as are some of the other actors.

8. Radio Pluto

The actors and scripts could be solid and there's still the consequences of pandering to nostalgia, it's lazy and a slap in the face to a public who want to see original comedy, good or not so good.

9. neilold

I didn't realise it was Clement and la frenais who did the new version to, well they've certainly lost credit in my eyes

10. neilold

I am actually even more upset now I know it was them that have reached this level

11. sundayforsammy

The jokes are still there, the writing isn't that bad to be honest, the delivery is so so so bad that the program is just awful. This hasn't made a good transition to 2017 just as other classic comedies of that era have failed dismally, I'm thinking of how cringe worthy and bad the new "Open all Hours" is.

Paul Taylor likes this.
  12. Radio Pluto

Just wait until Another Foot in the Grave appears.

13. sundayforsammy

If I remember correctly The BBC made some different one off's of old commedies, Steptoe, Goodnight Sweetheart, Till death us do part, Young Hyacynth, Are you being served and Hancocks half hour, they were all diabolical with the possible exception of Goodnight Sweetheart which was still new enough to really just be another episode carried on.

If any of these should have been picked for a full series it really should have been Goodnight Sweetheart the others should have all stayed in the BBC vaults of comedy, including Porridge.

14. neilold

Amen, oit'd be an odd one foot in the grave since victor is stone dead thanks to Mrs John thaw

15. sundayforsammy

Both feet in the Grave

16. Radio Pluto

I wonder if Margaret is still alive.

17. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

I may die for this.... but I think the original Porridge sucked too

18. Radio Pluto

The contrast between the studio video look and the 16mm exterior footage is on a whole other level when it comes to Porridge.

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I never liked the original either, but then I never gave it much of a chance.

Ant E likes this.
  20. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    Well, I only watched the first episode (on BritBox) and I wasn't really all that impressed either. But then I am pretty hard to please with my comedies. I didn't care for OUR "great stupendous " ones either. Three's Company, which is considered a "classic" here left me cold for example. I do like Friends and the Big Bang Theory and the animated comedies...... South Park, American Dad, Family Guy, the Simpsons and the greatest funniest animated show of all time , Futurama though. Oh, and Scrubs! I like the British comedies at least as much , if not more than "ours", Fawlty Towers, Are you Being Served, Last of the Summer Wine (I think was/is the name) and yes, distain me if you will but SOME Benny Hill and of course my favorite series of all Red Dwarf.