It's not easy 'pc'

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Feb 6, 2018.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

So. I have being asked to describe political correctness. Not one to ever ignore a request ;-) here we go

Political correctness, in my eyes. Is political and social posturing, that treats both political and social politics as not just an idealogy, but as a kind of trump card to maintain a rigid orthodoxy that, unusually, claims to be subversive to. This can cover such things as race, class, political allegiance etc.

These, usually, very contrived outrages are an attempt to silence the views and opinions of others, usually because said person disagrees with them.

Of course, differrent people have different views on what is and isn't pc, and what is and isn't offensive. However the argument isn't pretty much a standard running pattern going along the lines of

You're pc

No your picking on minorities who's rights I'm trying to protect

No your trying to put there rights above mine

But surely all rights are Equal

This type of disagreement can, and usually does, go back and forth indefinitely

I hope this clears things up for you all, and is seen for the sensible attempt to answer the question it is

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

See I wouldn’t say ALL of that is PC. The only thing I find annoying is when people get offended on other people’s behalf I.e. people wanting to stop using certain phrases in case it offends someone of a different race or religion or gender. This is usually carried out by white, middle class people. Example:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...deau-urges-woman-uses-mankind-say-peoplekind/

On the other hand, it works both ways. Not calling someone with mental health problems a “loony” or a “freak” is being PC but it’s also being respectful and having good manners. I wouldn’t want to be called that, so why call others it?

However, the tabloids (particularly those of the right wing persuasion) feast and gorge upon this type of smeg and sometimes distort the truth to wind people umm like you @neilold up!!!

I would suggest if you see something reported that you consider “PC” - google or read up on the facts as it’s not always true. Councils banning Christmas through fear of offended Muslims is usually a shower smege designed to stir up anger.

A perfect example of something similar would be that Stephen Lawrence photo which was a load of old smege bricks and totally untrue!!!!!

3. neilold

But what you may consider pc I may not and vice versa. Also facts are a funny thing, maybe the Stephen Lawrence thing was a bad example though

4. Ant E

Although refreshing for you to actually answer a question!!!!! :roll::roll:

5. neilold

I virtually never trust facts, certainly not on the web, you can tur anything to say anything. That why even I, who you may consider to be outrageously right wing, don't drown the forum with supposed numbers

6. Ant E

No that’s true. But that falls largely down to culture and upbringing and class.

You used the phrase “ragheads” to describe muslims. Now I wouldn’t use that phrase, and I imagine when Jed bollocked you for it you thought he was PC?! It was rude and some might argue bigoted and ignorant. I think if you asked the average Muslim if they want to be referred by that term they resoundingly would say no... so is that really being “PC” to accept that? Or simply just not being a twat?!

7. neilold

Well it may take me awhile, but we usually get there! though , to be fair, I have mentioned what I wrote above several times before on
    the old forum

8. Ant E

I probably trust news sites like the bbc more than Britain first!! I’d even trust Fox News over Britain first!!!

Abe and Nikki the Great like this.
  9. neilold

I suppose it depends on whether you find the term offensive, and whether you think you should change your language to simply appease others

10. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

11. neilold

Britain first may be many things, but you cannot call it tripe simply because you disagree with it. Okay it may present things a certain way, but you may as well just say the guardian and the Huffington post are tripe to

12. neilold

I know about the honey?????

13. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

You've hit upon a very good point there @Ant E . There's a point that crosses the line of good manners and way too many, especially on the right of the political spectrum, who just won't adhere to that line. You don't have to be PC is have a little compassion and a little bit of tact.

14. Ant E

But surely that’s contradicting the point you were making with your “stickman” analogy?!?!

Everyone is different. I just don’t buy the fact that we, as two white males, have it particularly tough when it comes to just being a bit more “polite” in our daily speech.

I think there is more of an issue in this country with social class than race. If we helped kids from working class areas, regardless of race, to have the same
    Opportunities as middle class people the country would be a lot more tolerant. I’m CERTAIN of that.

As it stands, thanks to people like Britain first, working class men from very poor areas who may not have had a decent start in life blame all their issues out on “foreigners” because 1. They are told a lot of lies by tabloids and 2. Because it’s easy.

15. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Now Neil, that's more than just a little scary. Facts are facts no matter WHERE they are accessed. True online, you may have to double check them, but you can still find the truth out there. Too many "alternative" facts are a big reason why people are as screwed up today as they are. Please don't tell me your microwave is listening to you now ...........

Abe likes this.
  16. neilold

I suppose we'll just have to disagree. I don't think you can simply put it down to Britain first though,either way. I do agree with you regarding helping those in the lower class, I have spoke out many times, regarding my thoughts. In fact, as a whole, I'm probably a lot more left wing than right wing on many issues

17. neilold

But facts aren't facts. We are constantly bombarded with very manipulated figures from both sides of the political spectrum. Fair enough you say, so analyse them. But then you immediately get hit again with the issue of possible manipulation, so you again analyse, and you again face up to possible manipulation, and round and round you go for infinitum. That's why I'm very doubtful over so called facts, especially on the web

18. Ant E

I have quantifiable reservations

Nikki the Great likes this.
  19. neilold

I am. I believe in

Nationalisation of big industry

Non privatisation of the NHS

Union power, to a reasonable degree

A decent living wage

A much less rigid class system

Control of business profiteering

And quite a lot more

20. Ant E

Do you believe, like me, in a state controlled @kry102001 ???

21. neilold

I am for state owned and privatised kry102001