It's not easy 'pc'

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

He’d cook the books!!!’ And delete the evidence. Kry10 cannot be trusted!!!

2. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

Well he'll fit right in on here then:-)

Ant E likes this.
  3. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

It seems to me that you've got a very broad definition. Political correctness, in its essence, only really extends to "don't be a smegbag". It mostly follows the idea that you should keep criticism fair and to the point. Criticize people for things that they can control and that really matter, instead of, say, their place of origin or, in the case of the video, if they've chosen to dye their hair an unnatural color. This can often require recognizing that context matters more than it might seem. For example, take the statement I've heard here in the US a good few times that "black people are naturally more violent." While it may be true that statistically, in the US, there is more violence among blacks, and I'm not sure whether it is, the problem with the statement is that it assumes the root of the cause is the skin color, without leaving room for the fact that it's likely that the problem is actually situation.

I'm aware that variants of the term "white cisgender heterosexual neurotypical Christian men" gets tossed around a lot, and that's really just because that is, inherently, a class of people who rarely have to encounter the short end of the stick of circumstance. For the most part, nobody is against every single person in that group, it's just they tend to be the ones most likely to not have thought past surface level, as they've never really had to as much.

That said, there are exceptions. There are definitely people who, unfortunately, hate any person who falls into those categories by default. These people are often depicted as greater in number than they really are, but it's important to keep in mind that they are in fact frowned upon by many left-wing circles. Many of the famous videos of unrelenting shrieking radical feminists are staged, and I know these are what a lot of people use to back themselves up in stating that 'PC has gone too far'. There always will, of course, be people who exemplify the worst of a group of people, and it's easy to forget that they're not representative of the whole bunch.

You brought up another point which I find used a lot: the one that PC is somehow used to shut people down with opposing opinions. Truth be told, there is an amount of just that, but it's so much less common than when somebody will make an argument in favor of political correctness just to try to get somebody to stop being an actual dick. There is, of course, also just people who don't want to hear opinions opposite their own, but that's on both sides, and it's much easier and much more common despite being much less mature to say somebody's being a Nazi instead of "I have heard somebody make this argument far too many times and it has still failed to convince me." However, I think that somebody from the current right wing complaining about that is more than a bit ironic, as they are far more frequent in their failure at attempting an actual mature and explained counterpoint or politely refusing to engage, instead throwing out terms like triggered, snowflake, pansy, libtard, cuck, etc. that really indicate more than anything an unwillingness to have a mature conversation and instead a preference for basic sixth-grade-level insults. That's just more of an issue with the nature of people than the nature of lefties or righties, really.

4. Ant E

^^
    Smart boy

Nikki the Great and Abe like this.
  5. neilold

You make some interesting points Abe

Abe and BigOleDummy like this.
  6. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Why, thank you. I'm assuming you read it, then. Did you think anything else about it?

Ant E likes this.
  7. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

:-D Easy now @Abe , don't give him a runway to fly off of! It seems he's finally simmering down a bit ;-)8-). It was a pretty good piece though I must admit.

Abe likes this.
  8. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Don't get too excited folks. Neil typically says "You make some interesting points", but never expands on this. And usually comes back a little while later wanting to string up immigrants.

Ant E likes this.
  9. neilold

You mention radical shrieking feminist, and staging of some events. Some acts may be staged, but there is definitely an atmosphere on American campuses of spoilt kids, often white, trying to constantly push an agenda of what is and isn't acceptable, some the terminology seems to have reached ludicrous levels, with the simplest of things being blown up to ridiculous proportions. Safe spaces, potential predators, and terms such as non specific gender etc.

There is also an outpouring on things like Twitter, that is equally critical of certain words. This is one of the things that gets me very irritated, you don't like words I use, fair enough you can be offended by that word as much as you like, but don't try to tell me whether or not I should say it, or use it. I can self censor and decide for myself such things.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  10. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

But if you don't self censor (which you don't), then what happens? You hurt people, often who have done nothing to you at all, just cos you can and feel you should be allowed to. At the least it's bad manners and at the worst it's downright nasty. What do you really gain from saying these things anyway?

And to be fair, if you think you shouldn't be censored for saying such things, you can't complain that others don't self censor when calling you out. If you have the right to say something then you also have the right to be challenged.

I wish you would use that white straight male privilege you were lucky enough to be born with to do some good instead of using it to be mean or feel hard done by.

BigOleDummy and Abe like this.
  11. Ant E