Jim Bexley Speed

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Hollo_Marx, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

I'm super curious to know who posed as Jim Bexley Speed in the photograph that Lister shows to the Cat in Future Echoes. The Tongue Tied wiki makes no mention of who the actor or model might be, and I couldn't find any mention of it on Google either. It's such a funny photograph, I'm curious to know who they got to play Speed for it, and whether he truly was, "really really really thrilled". ;-)

Also, judging by Speed's uniform with the helmet and shoulder pads, I'm guessing that Zero-G Football was based on American football, rather than the usual sort. Has this ever been confirmed? Until I actually paid attention to the photograph, I always had pictured Zero-G Football to be like regular football.

2. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I always thought it was based on American Football as well, based on the outfit; I forget where, but somewhere I found a mention of it being based on International Football (might have been the wiki), but in the Smegazines there's a whole article about the rules of Zero-G Football, and it's clear the writers also based it on American Football.

Edit: Sorry, it wasn't the wiki, it was a shirt I saw on eBay Zero-G Football Shirt- given it's unofficial nature, I'm still sticking with American Football.. =)

3. they possibly got the photo from stock. That got a tv soap in trouble not long ago - they needed a photo of a child for a scene... unfortunately the photo they got supplied from stock was that of a real life murdered child, not a child actor.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Which soap opera was that?

5. Hollo_Marx

I don't think it's stock because he's clearly wearing the London Jets jersey, and he doesn't have any signs of photo manipulation that I can see. Plus he's got the odd spiky pads and gear, so it certainly looks to me like they had someone pose specifically for the photo, probably wearing the same prop jersey that Lister wears in the show.

Also has anyone else noticed that the "stripes" on the sleeves of Lister's London Jets jersey that he wears in a later episode are just strips of tape or something that they wrapped around the sleeves? Got to love the little shortcuts they had to use to make things work. :-D

6. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Searched all over - I can't find a thing about the actor who played Bexley - all I found were the babies and they were uncredited. Nothing about the adult Bexley.

7. Hollo_Marx

That's all I've been able to find too Kittypaws. Could I possibly have uncovered the one tidbit of Red Dwarf knowledge that's not been analyzed to within an inch of it's life yet? ;-)

I spent days combing through all the "behind the scenes" information on the main website and had so many of my little niggling questions answered (for example, I wanted to know if a real Hammond Organ had been used for the Hammond Organ version of Fun Fun Fun, yes, I am mad). I was surprised when I turned up nothing for this one.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Series 1 seems to be full of these little mysteries. I'd also like to know who played Lister's grandmother, who appears in another photograph in the same scene. Also, who played the mayor of Warsaw in Future Echos? He isn't listed in the end credits.

FeeBee likes this.
  9. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I may be wrong here but isn't he Don Henderson, who also played the simulant in Beyond A Joke?

10. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Yes - he was the Rogue Simulant. :-)

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'd never heard that he was played by Don Henderson, and I can't find anything on the internet to confirm this. Can anyone else confirm it?

12. Strat-tastic

I'll have a watch tonight. It's just that as I think of that bit, I see him playing it. Are you sure it's Future Echoes and not Confidence & Paranoia?

13. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

According to This Quiz, it's either Robbie Coltrane,Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie or Rowan Atkinson.

14. Strat-tastic

Well I had a good old look. There are only a couple of frames where you can freeze it and get a good look. I'll admit it's probably not Don Henderson and out of Karnie's suggestions, only Robbie Coltrane comes close. According to his bio he has not worked on Red Dwarf, and if he had, why wouldn't a bigger thing be made of the fact that such an illustrious actor once starred in it?

Maybe Seb knows as he is very knowledgable about RD, and if he doesn't then he knows a man who does ;-)

15. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

It's not any one of those! I don't know offhand who it is (though could probably find out), but it's not one of those four!

16. Hollo_Marx

Any idea who might have played Jim Bexley Speed in the photograph Seb? This is probably one of those things where even the people involved in the filming have probably long forgotten about it. :-D

17. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Was the Mayor of Warsaw played by a chap called Gerry Devine? If you look at the Cast & Crew section on this site (http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/guide/index.cfm) he is listed as a Walk On role for Confidence & Paranoia (also Paranoia is spelt wrong on this page - woops!)

No mention of Jim Bexley Speed however :-(

18. andyedge

andyedge First Technician

19. Strat-tastic

Is he the same Gerry Devine who played the van driver in Backwards mewonders... :?

20. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Whatever happened to @Hollo_Marx?