Just realised something...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Menuboy, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Menuboy

Menuboy Third Technician

This has probably been mentioned before but it just clicked for me. Rimmer was human at the end of the last series and is now a hologram again. So maybe he never made it off Red Dwarf? Then he was resurrected again in the parallel universe. Or he did escape but got killed some time later after he escaped. I wonder if they'll turn it into a gag like the end of Timeslides.

2. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

I think it never intended to be connected to the series at all from a start :-( New thing, new story sadly...

3. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I'm not too sad about it to be honest. :P

4. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

I don't blame you... but what happens next???!! :-D:shock::P

5. bentleyma

bentleyma Skutter

I thought it was set 9 years after the end or series VIII.

6. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Yes. That's been posted everywhere, and Doug Naylor is the one who said it.

7. jimmys

jimmys Skutter

And a LOT could happen in 9 years. :lol:

8. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I had the same thought! The original rimmer went of to be ace. The rimmer in series 8 was the nanobot resurection not a hologram. Holly brought the original rimmer back to keep lister sane. If the nano rimmer died, would lister really bring him back again? Would he not bring someone like peterson or selby back? Dont get me wrong, Rimmer is my favourite character, just a thought!

9. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Yeah I thought the same thing, maybe Holly brought him back before he dissapeared or whatever has happened to him or maybe it's the failed ace rimmer version returned

10. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

The failed ace rimmer, Thats a possibility :-) Hope they explain it! We might get the really fast written into like at the start of series 3

11. Menuboy

Menuboy Third Technician

The failed Ace Rimmer sounds like a pretty good idea. Though it's true a lot can happen in 9 years :P. I think it might just be a case of Rimmer never escaped Red Dwarf and the others resurrected him as a hologram.

12. connell

connell First Technician

I think it will either be that a snail could be a better Ace Rimmer than old Arnie, so he comes back to find the guys by dimension hopping to the other universe where our crew are, or Rimmer dies on Red Dwarf in our universe and they bring him back somehow either in our Universe (they find a way to come back) / The parralel on where our Crew are. They may play it out as a running Gag, as in they keep reffering to how it happened, but we don't find out. Or we do, or they just don't say, till series 14 :-D

13. joekane

joekane Skutter

It HAS to be the "Ace" Rimmer coming back. He IS Rimmer. Let us not accept any other Rimmer. I think the hard light coloured suit suggests this.

14. SimplePlan2k8

SimplePlan2k8 Third Technician

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, but the question still remains... how the smeg do the others get back from the Mirror Universe if the ship is destroyed???

15. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It wasn't completely destroyed when we left the series.

As to 'why' they'd return, since they left to escape the damaged ship.... (at least that was my impression.)

Yes, I hope we get some kind of explanation, but I don't mind too much.

16. gazb8s

gazb8s Third Technician

about what rimmer it could be both. we know there can be copies because of me2,
    so if a copy of the original rimmer was resurected. And the series 8 rimmers mind
    was kept on the same (disc) or woteva it is now. if he dies in only the good, wen they bring
    him back as a hologram he could have both memories.. or is that stupid

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

No, I like it. (But then I did come up with it too in another thread. ;-) )Keeps all his memories (minus the Ace Rimmer ones after he left the ship) intact. And maybe helps feed his character issues too.

18. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

But I don't think this is the nano-ship, because in the trailer it looks to be a mix of the original and the remastered/VIII.

19. Deviblue

Deviblue Second Technician

Technically we haven't seen the 'original' rimmer since the end of Timeslides. it goes as follows

original Rimmer
    drive plateblows
    dead Rimmer...a copy technically, so Rimmer 2.0 - last we see of original Rimmer is pile of Daz
    time passes
    Day trip to Parallel universe - we meet Rimmer 2.0 the XX model (ours being the XY)
    we get a copy copy Rimmer
    'hopefully' lister wiped the copy copy
    time passes
    timeslides faffery and time alters
    original Rimmer is alive, rimmer 2.0
    Rimmer dies again after exploding
    Rimmer 2.0 is reborn...or is that redead...or reloaded....whatever
    time passes
    Rimmer 2.0 breifly gets physical form due to effects of Psi-moon - Still Rimmer 2.0
    Rimmer 2.0 gets hardlight upgrade is now Rimmer 2.0.1
    more time passes
    Rimmer 2.0.1 creates entire planet of Rimmer 2Bs - For some reason Hardlight holograms dna that can be cloned (must have been an optional extra)
    Rimmer 2.0.1 smegs off to become Ace Rimmer - This is the last we see of Rimmer 2.0.1
    time passes
    Lister has horny Rimmer 2.0.1 dream
    Kryten builds a VR Rimmer 2.0.1
    Time passes
    Nanobots build a living Rimmer 3.0, presumably from DNA records stored on Red Dwarf, or possible from a space trout, we'll just never know
    Rimmer 3.0 is presumably dead...after kicking death in the nuts. May still be alive, but probably dead

The rest of the guys make it home with 'a' Rimmer - we don't know yet if this is Rimmer 4.0 or if its a returned Rimmer 2.0.1 If its not 2.0.1 the presumably found another hidden spacestaion with another Legion being who gave another hardlight conversion unit and it seems more hardlight tech to install in Red Dwarf.

but then, we only have about 9 days to wait to find out

20. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

My head hurts now after reading the Rimmer explanation, its good but far too complicated for me! (mind you I get confused by lifts! What this thing can go up and down?)