Kochanski

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by mtullock, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

It doesn't necessarily follow that the in vitro tube we see there contained the embryonic Lister, after the rest of Series VII, the Starbug crash at the start of BitR and the time they spent in the Tank, I'd imagine that original has probably been lost, destroyed or expired by now. And we know he has to be involved because we see him leave himself under the pool table, so I think it's a fair bet that a further contribution at least is required, Lister knows this, and Kochanski wouldn't find it acceptable to take it without consent or by deception.

This is all obviously speculation, but I don't believe there's anything so far to directly contradict it.

Edit: Didn't recall the 18 months later bit, that does seem to contradict my theory now.

2. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

Ah, we crossed mid-air :-) While you were posting this, I was editing my previous post.

See previous... I think Lister makes it clear that he "ahem"ed in the tube, producing an embryo - and the resulting baby was taken to Earth eighteen months later.

3. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

When Lister puts himself under the pool table at the end of Ouroboros, there is a caption reading "Eighteen months later", meaning it happened in that episode.

Edit: Out-edited.

But in addition to the caption, there is also the fact that the Lister who puts the baby under the table looks the same age as Series VII Lister, rather than Series XI+ Lister.

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

For all we know, Blue might well occur 18 months after Ouroboros, or any of the other episodes other than Duct Soup. I imagine that months, possibly years pass between their adventures. It's not like every episode occurs on the following day, otherwise they'd constantly be on high alert for the next calamity.

Take Series 8, clearly significant time has passed between the end of Pete Part 2 and Only the Good...

Let's also not forget that in the nine year gap Lister and Kochanski actually did get together before she left him altogether. There is even a theory that she is still on-board Red Dwarf. It's so massive that without Holly to look for her she could easily just have moved to a different area of the ship.

5. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Off topic, but where is Holly anyway? Was that ever explained?

6. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Lister left a bath up to overflow so much that the water came crashing through multiple decks and knocking Holly offline. It was explained in a throw away line in Back to Earth.

7. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

That explains why I couldn't remember.

In my pre-XI run through I actually skipped some of VIII and IX.

8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Do we know if Kochanski "left" before or after Lister flooded Holly?

In Give & Take, we see Rimmer tracking life-signs aboard the ship. So they can detect people aboard the ship, but possibly not the whole ship.

9. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I bet whatever happened to her will be all timey wimey stuff. So she's alive, but she's currently in the past or the future. Or she found a way to get back to her own dimension. Maybe that's the real reason she left.

10. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Leaving in a Blue Midget by herself bound for nowhere seems very drastic just because Lister was drinking too much. Presumably she stocked up on food and water before she left, but how much food and water can a Blue Midget hold? I'm skeptical about Lister being such an alcoholic that he couldn't tone it down to keep the love of his life. Sure Lister drinks beer, but we rarely see him off his head, and that's when he's lonely. Given Lister was back with Kochanski and presumably happy and wanting to keep her, why did he suddenly start drinking so much it drove Kochanski away?

Why didn't she leave him a note explaining herself? Maybe she did, but Kryten kept it from Lister. Why didn't she just tell him? Lister wouldn't hold her hostage if she really wanted to go. Maybe he'd follow her. How did Kryten know she'd left before Lister did, did he just notice a Blue Midget was missing and tell Lister she'd been sucked out an airlock, before Lister even noticed? It wouldn't make sense if Lister started asking where Kochanski was and then Kryten was like "Oh yeah, I saw her get sucked out an airlock, did I not say?".

11. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

We also see the Dwarfers scanning for nanobots aboard Starbug in Nanarchy. If they can scan for nanobots, it stands to reason that they can scan for Kochanski. Surely Starbug's scanners wouldn't be better than Red Dwarf's. Or maybe they would be because Starbug is smaller and quicker to scan. But maybe Lister just hasn't tried, because he believes Kryten. Surely if Kochanski is still on Red Dwarf, then Kryten is complicit in that. Because he said she died, then he said she left.

12. Underdunn

Underdunn Second Technician

Kochanski was dead in series 1 episode 1. Actually properly dead. And she still turned up later! So it really doesn't matter if Lister goes into stasis for another billion years, if he's going to end up with her eventually it'll be down to time-travel or parallel universes or whatever else.

13. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Remind me why the nanobots resurrected the entire crew but not Kochanski.

14. Underdunn

Presumably because there was still a version knocking about in Starbug.

15. R.I.P. 2000

You might expect that as someone watching a TV show, because happy endings are more conventional. But Lister doesn't know he's in a TV show, so has no particular reason to expect everything to work out for the best.

With that in mind, his actions need to make sense from an in-universe point of view. We wouldn't expect him to go into stasis for a considerable length of time while Kochanski was missing. So either Krysis contained a plothole, or they were in stasis for a negligible period.

16. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

But there wasn't. Alternate-dimension Kochanski didn't turn up until Ouroborous in Series VII, when Starbug has already been chasing nano-Red-Dwarf for over two centuries.

17. R.I.P. 2000

But the nano-bots didn't resurrect the crew until Nanarchy, at the end of VII?

When the Dwarfers picked up Kochanski in Ourboros, the original Red Dwarf was still "parked" as a planetoid.

18. Underdunn

Well he does know that at some point he marries kokanchski and has a chat with younger self in a hotel room. So thats a fairly big clue.

19. Underdunn

Nano-red dwarf didn't exist then. Kryten gets the nanobots to rebuild it at the end of Nanarchy, by which stage Kockanski is with them.

20. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

But he also knows that was supposed to happen in five years time, and it never did. It's been hundreds of years since Stasis Leak.