Kochanski

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by mtullock, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I was getting confused between the nano-nano-Red-Dwarf that they chase through VI & VII, and the big-nano-Red-Dwarf that gets rebuilt at the end of VII.

2. Underdunn

Underdunn Second Technician

Ahhh getaway! That Lister was probably 65 years old, had a bit of work done, travelled back in time, bagged himself a hot Clare Grogan and was lying about the 5 year thing in-front of her so she wouldn't be creeped out by the age gap! :lol::lol::lol:

Either that or Doug just forgot about it and ignored it... Same way he'll forget about and ignore how long Lister went into stasis for this series when he eventually brings Kochanski back... which in our heart of hearts we all know he will.

3. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

That could have all happened in the 9-year gap between Series VIII and BTE. Lister and Kochanski went back in time, went to see Run for you Wife, got married, had a conversation with younger Lister from 5 years previous, then something made them return to Red Dwarf where eventually Kochanski dumped Lister and flew off.

A lot of that depends on the time frame between Series I and Series VIII but Lister is only 28 in Series VII so it's not too far of a stretch.

4. Underdunn

Could have done, aye. Would explain how Lister and Kochanski had apparently become a proper couple before she vanished just prior to BTE... Oh well... No point waiting for the hotel scene to come later then! I'll just have to keep waiting for the point where Lister gets a robot hand, travels to the mirror universe to find out what happened to Jim and Bexley, comes back, grows old then tells his old self to go fetch a camera. :-D

5. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Stasis Leak was in Series II, but there's still no chance. It was 250-odd years between Stasis Leak and Only the Good.

200 years 3 months in deep-sleep (Psirens)
    50 years 3 weeks in deep-sleep (Nanarchy)
    5 or 6 years out of stasis since The End (Back in the Red I)

6. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Surely you dont expect characters to talk in stasis time but rather time experienced. Do you honestly think Lister would tell his future self "go back to where you came from and wait 250 years!"
    He's trying to give him some hope!

I'm not saying I agree with the other poster but try to at least make a logical leap.

7. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

I think that ship has sailed! It's more than five years since then.

As Dan Pendo points out, it could have plausibly happened between 8 and BTE - before they split up. But I've given my own theory elsewhere.

8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

In Back in the Red I, Lister says "I've been away, what is it? Five, six years, not counting stasis?", showing Lister is in the habit of clarifying the distinction. But in Stasis Leak, future-Lister just said "five years". Just as Lister would be taking a huge gamble assuming Kochanski was also in stasis in Krysis, he would also be taking a huge gamble assuming his future-self meant "five years not counting stasis and/or deep-sleep". How would younger-Lister know how long older-Lister had been in stasis, if at all, since older-Lister didn't tell him.

9. R.I.P. 2000

It doesn't, though - it shows that he made the distinction once.

In Cassandra, he doesn't:
    Nor in Nanarchy:
    Bear in mind that Red Dwarf was missing for centuries . It's only two years in Lister's personal timeline, which was interrupted by a lengthy bout of deep sleep.

In BITR part 1, he refers to things as being "years ago", when "millions of years ago" would be more appropriate - unless he's talking about his personal perspective of time:
    Last week for Rimmer - years ago for Lister - and millions of years for the universe.

10. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

You're right, Lister does seem to lose the distinction more often than keep it. To the viewer five years is a concrete period of time, but not necessarily to the characters. If we remove deep-sleep, we'd probably be right up against five years by the end of VIII.

So are we saying that when Lister went into deep-sleep for a then-indefinite period between V and VI, he took the gamble that it didn't matter how long he went in for, because his future-self meant experienced time, thus he would always find the new-time-travel-method in five years of experienced time? I'd think if you were ever going to make the distinction, Stasis Leak would be the time, so your younger-self didn't avoid stasis for fear of missing it, then wind up missing it because he was supposed to go into stasis!

If it's fatalism, and your future-self says you find another time-travel-method so he must be right because he did it and no matter what you do you will always do it, then it must have happened between VIII and BtE. Or, (I can't recall anything in BtE to contradict this) maybe they spent a significant portion of that nine years in stasis for some reason, meaing it might stil be on the horizon. But even then, at the end of XI, I think we'd be really pushing past the five years experienced since Stasis Leak.

However, if Lister and Kochanski went back in time in those nine years, meaning the Kochanski we saw in Stasis Leak was actually the Kochanski from the future (and the alternate dimension), then where was the original Kochanski who existed at that time.

11. R.I.P. 2000

In case the link got lost above - I believe that it happened in Out of Time. In Stasis Leak, Future Lister was talking about the time drive.

In that case, Future Lister went back in time to marry Kochanski, then jetted around time hob-nobbing with dictators, and finally ended up a brain in a tank. But that whole timeline winked out of existence between series six/seven, which is why it hasn't come true for our Lister (and nor do I expect it to).

12. Underdunn

Works for me! And we even get to see that the marriage-timeline Rimmer at the end of stasis leak has grown a moustache... one he's still sporting decades on when they bump into him again in out of time! :lol:

Now we just need to explain who the bloody hell the version of Lister they saw in future echoes was and how he fits into all this and we're home free! 8)