Kristine Kochanski

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by CJ_MAK, Mar 6, 2009.

1. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

If they ever do make a Series IX then Kochanski being brought back from the dead is all well and good IMO although I think adding a sixth main crew member as well as her into the mix would be overstepping the mark.

I wonder how well Chloe Annett has aged compared to the rest of the cast, haven't seen her on tv in years.

2. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

to tell you the truth, after a while Lister's pining for Kochanski got old. This subject is touched upon in one of the first two books and in that book it makes a brilliant point. it's smeggin' abnormal. it's obsessive. totally mentally unhealthy. (i'm paraphrasing and adding my own 2 cents here)

and while it's funny at first and cp grogan is a real darling of the earlier shows (i never thought chloe successfully captured that character - sorry...), i'd like to see Lister move on. mourn the loss of Kochanski. let the character grow beyond his "hopeless romantic" self. Let go of the outmoded concept of "the one". say "to heck with unrequited love".

elevating kochanski to a goddess like status has become inane. while it's believeable for someone in their early to mid twenties to do so, after years of being rejected by the same "goddess-like" woman, that character would eventually grow to the point of saying "ok, moving on".

don't you think?

3. gazb8s

gazb8s Third Technician

she could also have got the linkway back to her own dimension gone back to her much better lister
    but it could be anything she could be lost, kidnapped,theres endless possibilities. either way
    theres always a way to bring her back if they want to. just wait and see and enjoy:-D

4. JMC1701

JMC1701 Skutter

I thought Chloe Annett was likeable, attractive and always gave a good acting performance, but to me Kochanski worked best as the mythical romantic figure from Lister's past, so in some ways I don't think Back to Earth will suffer by her absence. Also, it's only three episodes - they'll want to focus on the core group no doubt.

5. jennifergould

jennifergould Third Technician

Red Dwarf was originally just blokes larking about in space! Some of the lady guest characters were great (Jane Horrocks etc) but Kochanski's return didn't work for me. I hope the new lady hologram is going to work well! I'm sure she'll just be around for one of the specials.

So glad we're back to basics! :-)

6. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

G&T didn't say that, someone on the forums did and it came from an interview in SFX with Doug.

7. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

Yes he did and he hated Buffy so much he killed her twice :P

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Though at the time she annoyed me, I've retrospectively come to like Chloe's series 7 performance. Her bitchy performance was very close to the Kochanski of Last Human I thought. Her softened down series 8 Kochanski was a largely a waste of time, and I'm glad the character's been ditched.

9. admuz

admuz Second Technician

Well, no, G&T did mention it in a news article about the interview here http://www.ganymede.tv/atspeed/2009...f-so-it-looks-like-the-magazine-is-called-sex

And as the issue of SFX isn't out yet I'd rather quote G&T as saying it rather than the magazine itself. You never know, the interview could be pulled or something before it comes out on Wednesday and then I'd have told a big fat lie! :lol:

10. Aimi

Aimi Catering Officer

I much prefered the series 7 version of Kochanski; she was strong and authoritative. The series 8 version was, lets just say, eye candy, and they seemed to have taken away some of her brains.

11. ch

ch Catering Officer

I wouldn't miss Kochanski at all, would be dissapointed if she'd be in the specials.
    I can't help but wondering why she seems to keep popping up on the forum.
    Especially in comparison with the new character.
    Let's just see how that's going to work out.

12. IronMaid666

IronMaid666 Third Technician

i dont know if this is true or not but i've heard that they have killed off kochanski (again). dont know how true it is. has anyone else heard this??

13. connell

connell First Technician

Yes, I have heard this, and i think its true. If I remember correctly, with this dusty old brain I have, It's the same costume he wore at Rimmers fake funeral that was actually Ace's light Bee. So I believe he should be mourning.

14. IronMaid666

IronMaid666 Third Technician

that would explain why Lister is in his nice suit. Do you know if its been said how she died?

15. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Was she brought in as a character so that there was a female presence for the movie? I wonder whether, should a movie be made, it will require Kochanski to come back again?

16. connell

connell First Technician

I don't think so, what I read just said she was dead, also that holly was out because lister left a tap on!

Yes, it was all part of their plan for a movie (Get a woman, Bring back the Dwarf and Crew, Bring back the Norman Lovette Holly that everyone liked etc...) They probably will dig her up AGAIN so they can use her for the movie! :?