Kryten - AWOL

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Mar 9, 2009.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

In that RD does have a thread of continuity - albeit a thin one at times - where is Kryten supposed to be (in subsequent episodes) after the crew bring him back to RD in the series II episode Kryten. He just isn't mentioned after this. Was David Ross's portrayal of the mechanoid that bad?

2. admuz

admuz Second Technician

No. The rolling text at the beginning of Backwards explains that at the end of the episode Kryten, when Kryten borrows Listers space bike, he ends up crashing it into an asteroid. Lister then recovers Krytens remains and rebuilds him in time for the start of Series III, explaining why this Kryten (Robert Llewellyn) is very noticably different from Series II Kryten (David Ross).

Kryten is either not onboard Red Dwarf in Series II after the episode Kryten or, if he is onboard, he is in many small pieces!

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Ah! Thank you, muz. That'll learn me to read things more closely in future.

4. admuz

admuz Second Technician

No worries. Lets be honest, the rolling text at the beginning of Backwards isn't exactly easy to read! :lol:

5. matgrowcott

matgrowcott Skutter

Sorry to bump a fortnight old thread with my first post (start as you mean to carry on...). Just thought of something as i read this thread. I'm sure I read somewhere, perhaps on Robert Llewellyn's site, that it was considered for David Ross to come back as Kryten during series 8 after he had had his factory settings restored. Why it never happened, I'm not sure. But it would have added a nice touch of continuity.

Then again, I might have dreamt it. :shock:

6. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Right you are - it was considered that Ross might re-voice the re-set Kryten. Still Robert under the mask, but with the original character voice from Series II.

7. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

I really prefer the Llewellyn Kryten - I think he's a much better actor than Ross

Or is that just me :-)

8. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

No. You are not a better actor than David Ross... :P

9. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

I knew it. :-D