Kryten in series X

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by bedfordfalls, Nov 6, 2012.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

There hasn't been a topic about good old Bobby Lew and Kryten in the new show so far so I thought I'd make one to discuss him.

I think most people agree that Kryten jumped the shark somewhat in series VII and VIII, becoming in turns annoyingly whiney and ridiculously OTT. I've been much happier with the Kryten we've seen in series X and, in fact, with the benefit of having more screen time than DJJ, I'd say he's my favourite regular of the new series.

Doug is writing him as much more of the classic Kryten these days with only the occasional stupid scene ("smudge" and 'spoon drying;-) spoiling the otherwise nuanced characterisation. I like the fact that he's back to being Mr. Exposition but also that you get the feelign he's also the smartest one of the group let down by his own programming curtailing his logic from time to time.

Bobby has generally done a great job portraying Kryten this series and I think he deserves praise for rediscovering what made the character great. He's delivered some cracking lines ("Sir, please don't order me to help you, you know how I HATE helping you!") and some brilliantly withered looks when being put down by Rimmer or grimacing at the stupid logic of one of the crew. His facial reactions have outdone Chris Barrie in this series by a mile.

I've loved his interactions with Rimmer this series and they've made a great pairing, better in fact than the Lister/Rimmer dynamic which has waned a little.

My only criticism of Bobby would be that he does have a tendency to waive his arms around to a distracting level these days when reciting long passages of dialogue and he often puts too many "sirs" in one sentence but these are minor niggles.

Good Job Bobby and Doug I'd say. Kryten's return to form is definately one of the successes of the new series.

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

oh yeah robert as kryten is spot on

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

It's only been a couple scenes where I felt Kryten has been shaking his arms too much, though he's always done that to some extent......mostly his been fine, he (everyone else too for that matter) seemed to be particularly spot on in Entangled.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Kryten is probably my favourite character from series 3 to 6, so it's been great seeing him return to form this series. He's certainly been much better written than in series 7 and 8. Robert's acting is perhaps not as great as it once was, but for the most part, it's regained the subtlety of his pre-series 7 performances. The mask is a bit odd though.

5. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I've loved Kryten this series. He's mellowed from what he was in 7 and 8, and to some degree, has grown up from that. But his character traits are still there. The way he touches his centre panel is a lovely touch, which he tends to do as a nervous tick. We haven't seen things like this for a while. I think RDX Kryten is a return to what he was at his best.

My only criticism is that he's been underused slightly. I'd have liked to see more of him, but I think that's more because I've enjoyed his character and the wonderful performance so much.

6. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Sorry, Bobby is still overacting physically with Kryten, waving his arms around and using the embarrassing silly walk! Its Herman Munster mode again!!! :roll:

7. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

The embarrassing silly walk...? hasn't he always done that? He did that during the audition for the character, in fact... Helped him get the job!

8. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

You mean the one he's used since day one?

9. simulant37

No.
    I mean the one that has grown broader & more cartoonish over the years. . .

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

These kinds of discussions with simulant37 tend to go nowhere.

11. simulant37

Do they?
    I just explained what I meant. . .:roll:

12. CaptainHallam

CaptainHallam Second Technician

I don't like the mask, but I prefer Kryten in this series than 7 or 8.

I think Bobby does an amazing job 8)

13. mingle

mingle Third Technician

The mask looked rather strange - too pale, and why did it have a very long, hooked nose?

14. KrytensPenis

KrytensPenis Third Technician

Kryten was always funny, especially with his high-pitched whiney sounds.

How could anybody take novelty condom head serious? :lol:

15. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Hen looked weird but he was utilised better than in any episode containing Kochanski...

16. SedatedTabloidReader

SedatedTabloidReader Skutter

Kryten was far better in this series than in the previous three.

However, he was too preoccupied with cleaning and the such, which basically undid a whole lot of good character development prior to series VII.

He was a far more rounded, sensible chracter before and seems to have regressed somewhat.

Still, far better than before.

17. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

I think the general consensus is that series X Kryten is far better and closer to his original series III-VI self than he was in anything between then and now, and I would certainly not disagree with that. I can't say I have too much of a problem with his pre-occupation with cleaning, as that has always been a part of his character, even though that did diminish somewhat as the original series wore on. Remember though, even the last series VI episode "Out Of Time" had Kryten going on about triangular sandwhiches needing to be made using a set-square, the chocolate finger display, and having to hand scrub the gussets of Lister's long johns. So loving cleaning and being particular about household duties is an essential aspect of Kryten's character, no matter how sensible he may have been ;-)In many ways, he's similar to Cat, in that the Cat in series X is much more "catty" in nature like he was in the early series.

Bobby Lew also benefits in that because he wears a mask for his character, he hasn't aged like the other characters have. I would say perhaps, he has had a tendency to slightly overact at certain moments during series X, but really all of the other actors were doing that too, not only him. In the final episode of the series though, he was much more like "classic Kryten". Yes, he had lines about tidying Lister's bunk room, and towel folding (which incidentally, I loved!), but overall, he did feel very close to the series III-VI versions of himself. Krytie has been mostly great this series, in my opinion! :-)

18. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

I think Bobby did a good job of Kryten this series.
    As for the mask I think it started off bad and got
    better after the first episode. It wasn't a bad mask
    overall it's just the issues with the wrinkles under
    the eye's that I thought was the problem. Hopefully
    that will be improved next Series, thats me hoping for
    Series XI right there.

19. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

What's the chances that Kryten's wrinkles are there to match ageing Lister.

20. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth Third Technician

It's interesting that many of the people who attended the recordings mentioned that Robert as struggling at times. I guess a lot of this would have been left on the cutting room floor and some might have been tightened during the edit. While Robert does a decent job you can clearly see at times that he can't quite remember the script and is struggling to get his line out.

I agree that maybe he wasn't as OTT as Series VIII but still pushed it too far in some scenes such as the ones already mentioned and him going on about cleaning during dramatic scenes in The Beginning.

In this series I would rank the cast members as follows:

Danny - Excellent
    Craig - Solid
    Robert - Average
    Chris - Below par