Kryten's mask...discuss

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ori-STUDFARM, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

The new trailer has added to my overall optimistic feel for RDX. I was lucky enough to see an episode filmed and, like most others who attended, came away happy for the most part. But saying 'Krytens mask looked...odd though'. The trailer has reinforced this feeling. I can easily live with it....but it doesn't look right at all. And I'm not sure it is just the hooked nose it seems to have.

I've done this side by side comparison with the BtE mask as the most recent mask before RDX. The lighting and quality of image is totally different....but what do you reckon?

[​IMG]

2. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I don't like the new mask. But then, I've never been happy with changes to Kryten, but that's never affected my enjoyment. The mask's cheeks project too far forwards. I'll get used to it.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

As I've said, the shape of the nose brings to mind a Halloween witch's mask. The mouth also reminds me of Able's.

4. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

I reckon it looks fine if not better than the BTE mask apart from the nose.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I agree. I don't dislike the BtE version, but the new version actually looks less pronounced (for want of a better word.) somehow. The nose is a little too curved, (although I've seen another scene were his nose looked straighter, so I imagine the make-up changes a bit through the series) but it's not a big deal. The wrinkles around Robert's eyes are less obvious in the second picture too, but that might be the darker lighting.

My main problem with the new costume is not the mask at all. It's those hoops jutting out of the shoulders. The older versions which were on top of the shoulders, nearer the neck, rather than jutting out of the shoulder plates, looked much better. I wonder why they decided to change it?

6. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

It looks similar except the nose, yes it was a shock at first but I think I will get used to it
    quickly infact every time I see the clip I'm more used to it! If they do another series hopefully
    they will fix the nose, it's good that every series the mask changes anyway.

7. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Not my favourite mask by a long stretch, looks a bit weird but frankly given the controversy behind it from set reports I was expecting worse. I've actually already gotten used to it from watching the trailer a couple times.

8. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

I agree, not the best but like you was expecting a lot worse off reports! If we are to go off reports the mask is suppose
    to improve anyway during the series.

9. Pecospete666

Pecospete666 Catering Officer

Could you put his real head in the photos?

10. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

No. He is a fictitious character and therefore he does not actually have a head. Real or otherwise. I did however find this paper head of Kryten a few months back...and have to say. I prefer this to the RDX one!!:-)

[​IMG]

11. goldy_T_O_T

goldy_T_O_T Deck Sergeant

Ont Canada eating cat nip and drinking Milk
    Sort of looks Asian. But wow, that person really looks like he worked hard on that thing. Pretty amazing.

12. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

I think Kryten's nose looks fine and it doesn't distract from the material I've seen. It's kind of like Rimmer aging, seems to be a natural progression for the charcter.

13. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I remember finding the nose a little odd on the night of the recording, but soon got used to it. I experienced a similar thing after watching the trailer a few times too.

Other than that I'm actually really liking this mask. Shape wise it seems quite reminiscent of the series 3/4 mask...or is that just me? I may have to go back and watch those series again, just to make sure...well, any excuse to watch a bit more Dwarf really :-)

14. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

At ep 6 filmng I didn't notice his nose looking odd, but I didn't get really close up.

He did however at one point wear glasses (not for the episode so not a spoiler) so maybe he needs a bigger nose to enable him to wear his specs when checking the script between takes these days.

15. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Actually one slightly nit picky thing I forgot to mention in my last post is that the neck line seems to go down a bit too far at the back.

It's not a major issue but concidering we know that Kryten has occasional head changes it does seem a little odd, from a slightly geeky perspective at least. :-)

Hmm, however, looking at the spare heads point from another angle, I guess that could be used as a logical reason for the many slightly varying heads we've seen over the years...

16. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

Maybe he loses his real head in a game of poker! And then the head in the trailer is his spare head, hence the weird nose! :-D

17. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Like you, I went to see the boys in front of the camera at Stage K, and personally, I dont see what the problem is, at no point did I sit in my seat and think "GAH! That mask looks wrong for whatever reason. Its not Kryten and I want my money back for my ticket and never ever watch Red Dwarf again."

Maybe for the next series (yes, I know I'm being optimistic here but like I did say in my Studio report back in January I wouldnt be surprised if theres two more series to come) something grotesque could happen and Kryten ends up with the head that he was unfortunate to have when first rescued on the Nova 5.

I jest, I'm ok with the mask :-)

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

everyone will get used to the mask don't worry

19. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Well, obviously.

20. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Everyone?!? Very presumptuous of you sir/madam. :x