Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. SurfboardingKillerBikiniVampireGirl

SurfboardingKillerBikiniVampireGirl Catering Officer

Good point - I hadn't thought of that.

2. brautigan

brautigan Third Technician

If you try to do something foolish like using logic when watching Backwards then I'm afraid the entire episode makes no sense. It's just a bit of fun.

Last episode was Gunmen.

3. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I saw about 2 minutes of Better Than Life last night on Dave, but my other half insisted on putting Cheers on (series one, which I must admit isn't doing a right lot for me yet). So I was left thinking about Rimmers bouncy dumplings, which has made me want to go back and re-watch them all again.

4. pole85

pole85 First Technician

Waiting for God, I had an urge to hear Rimmer talk about the Quagaars, I didnt like the episode when I seen it years ago but its grown on me since

5. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Just watched the 'Mirror/rorriM' edit of 'Only the Good...' on YouTube and can say I enjoyed it a lot more than I did the actual episode. It elimiated some of the more rubbish bits (Talia, Cat's 'rock' joke) and reinserted some deleted scenes that shouldn't have been cut (the First Officer Lister scene and the original and the more ditzy mirror Kochanski).

6. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Ooh, didn't know someone had done that!

Here's the link.

7. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Well, that was interesting!

The Mirror/rorriM cut makes a lot of mistakes (if you cut the spellcheck/message stuff at the start, and the Talia scenes, at no point is the escape pod/microbe explained; and looking at the captions the editor apparently doesn't understand the 'memorising the formula' deleted scene at all), but it does a lot right, too.

The best thing is the simple shift in priority - making more of the mirror universe itself, and the story that surrounds it. It makes it much more the 'ship in jeopardy, fight to save it' episode (though even more could have been done). The original script did a much better job of tying that tale to Rimmer's officer dreams than the broadcast cut did, so it's great to see how that might have come out under a different editor - especially when it comes to the original ending.

Now, I have issues with that ending. It suggests Lister, Holly and Kochanski have wholly forgotten about the evacuated crew, and that Rimmer and Kryten will happily let that crew (rare, real humans, including plenty of lovely people, one assumes) drift away on limited supplies rather than allow their return. All for Rimmer's ego and a desire for the old status quo. It also forgets a prison full of convicts safely tucked away still on floor 13.

But overall, given the options, it's an awfully appealing conclusion to Series VIII.

8. Brayds2006

Brayds2006 Skutter

Nanarchy, and a fair chunk of Series VII before that, today.

9. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

Balance of Power about two weeks ago. One of my favourite episodes, even though not a right lot happens.

10. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

It's unfortunate that the person who compiled this apparently did so without apparent full knowledge of the deleted scenes on the DVD. I'd have made further cuts to omit everything from Holly's "Brill Cream Line" to the point where Kryten sends Lister and Rimmer the page about the hidden hooch removing the belabouring of the excellent "Brill Cream" joke with unecessary extra lines hammering it home and the, imo, low quality "bunk room" conversation about scars. Obvious additions for me would be the explanation of where the mirror universe machine came from (its on the DVD so I don't understand why the editor of this cut acts confused in his text comment) and the deleted scenes that follow Hollister's "staying behind to die" stuff which gave Lister a nice moment with kochanski after all that period stuff.

The ending is a tough one. Like Andrew I don't like the perception the alternate ending gives of the Dwarfers essentially leaving the crew to their fates (although it could be argued that they don't know about Rimmer's decision). For me that's as out of character as Hollister's decision which completes his unfortunate transition in series 8 from a likable man just doing his job in series 1 to a petty minded, sadistic "Donut Boy" pantomime baddy, a transition I utterly loathed. In a way it reminds me of the ultimately canned originally shot ending of "Tikka to Ride" and the particularly dark and out of place reaction of the crew to Lister's accident at the ending of Justice.

11. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I really enjoyed this alternative. It doesn't explain the presence of the microbes, but then I don't think the material was available to do that. That could easily be explained with a change in the script. Talia's appearence was never satisfactorily explained with "the nanos must have rebuilt you too" either. I too am uneasy with the "sod the rest of the crew" ending, but still prefer it to Rimmer's assault on the Reaper's privates. It doesn't really follow that Rimmer would permanently leave the crew in deep space, although in Red Dwarf style it wouldn't have been resolved until the next series.

Most of the gags that were removed in this edit, in my opinion, genuinely didn't work. They didn't work for me, anyway. And I like series VIII. I like it by virtue of my ability to see beyond its flaws to its considerable strengths. Okay, I'm gunna say it. I feel this is better than the original episode!

12. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

This bit I can agree with. If he'd kept the spellchecker bit, but still dropped Talia's involvement, I'd have been more than happy. Also, I'm glad the scene of Rimmer memorising the formula was edited, I felt that it dragged with everyone saying cesiumfrankolithicmixyalabidiumrixydixydexydroxide (that's going from memory, so apologise if it's spelt wrong).

13. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Have to disagree with you on that one, I found that scene pretty high on my cringe-o-meter in an episode that almost sent the needle through the glass. Didn't miss Talia in this edit.

Also quick poser: If Talia was Hollister's Personal Spiritual Adivsor in the mirror universe then does that confirm Rimmer's suspicions about what she was in the original :-)

14. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Back to Reality.

15. Paul Taylor

That was the one part of the scene I thought was good, almost as though the whole scene had been built about that one gag. Otherwise, I agree with bedfordfalls when he says:

She was very pointless.

Good point! I actually assumed the comedy was supposed to be in the fact she was the mirror of her character in the original universe, and Rimmer didn't realise that. It was, after all, the first experience of "mirror folk" he'd had. In which case, the exact nature of her relationship with Capt Hollister could well be very sordid indeed.

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I have to agree with others that Talia's scenes were cringe-inducing.

I thought the first punchline was decent enough but was negated by the superfluous second, so we end up with two weak punchlines for the price of one. It was another example of the overkill that started with series 7 and became particularly prevalent in 8.

17. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

Back to reality, after watching Back to Earth I start to think half of RD is actualy an hallucination

18. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

I have been wondering if the show would end with Lister waking up to find he was dreaming everything from still being stuck in cryostasis in episode one.

19. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

Agreed, If you think trough, you can imagine how and where and how many ways hallucination could began

20. Paul Taylor

There's a definite alternative/virtual reality trend in Red Dwarf. It's usually handled pretty well, too.