Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

I'm about to watch 'The Last Day' again, as not only is it next up for Smegheads podcast, but it also ties in with episode 3 of Series XI that I saw recorded.

2. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Tikka to Ride Xtended and Remastered.
    Ouroboros Xtended.
    Duct Soup Xtended.

Not going to really go into detail about my opinions of these episodes but anyway...I love the Xtended bits of Tikka to Ride especially Lister realising that he had to go back in time to get the currys at the end. I also obviously love the superior CGI in this remastered version.

However, while the extra bits in the other two episodes are quite interesting I find without a laughing track there is a really cold atmosphere to the programme and though there is some comedy, without the audience it comes across as more unfunny than the original versions. Though obviously even with the laughter in the main 7 episodes there was a greater emphasis on drama in this series and without Rob too it wasn't as funny anyway.

3. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Just watched Terrorform.

Good episode, kind of funny that it's very Rimmer centric but he doesn't even appear until ten minutes in. There appears to be a Lord of the Rings reference when Cat says 'well buy a potion from Gandalf the Wizard'

The ending is another example of how horrible the other three are to old iron balls.

4. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Back in the Red Xtended a few days ago.

Really it is like it says on the screen on the DVD where you select to play the long episode - there really are only "several" additional scenes. So yes for me there is not too much new to this episode in its Xtended edition. But what there is is mostly okay but really it isn't that essential and good enough material to justify its inclusion in the final 3 half hour episodes cut. So yes really IMHO you can see why they did get cut as I didn't really like the crass bits about shapes of coffins and Kochanski's wailing about going to prison was trying to be comic but instead came across as cringeworthy. But still like I said the other extra bits are alright but just not really that good enough and rightly taken out. But it was interesting to see a bit more extra story.

The other thing I would say is I don't know whether I might surprise people but tbh I actually preferred the story being in the three half hour multi parts. It's strange because I much prefer the director's cut of BtE but in this case I just felt the Back in the Red story suited being told across the 3 eps. It's hard to explain why I feel it is different in this case but maybe here's a reason...for me I feel the 3 episodes don't join up too well as the third part is quite different to the first two in particular. E.g. The bit about the sadistic social worker and priest bunkroom scene I felt just wasn't congruous enough with the rest of the story and kind of halts momentum. Also I feel apart from the Director's cut of BtE and even then that is the weakest RD series, Red Dwarf is at its best when in half hour episodes.

But yes one thing I am definitely glad about with XI and XII is no multi part stories! Though as I said in this thread 3 months ago I throroughly enjoy the first 2 parts of Back in the Red for some reason, apart from the Dibbleys though where it all goes downhill.

Now that I have watched all the Xtended episodes that brings my RD viewing to an end now:-(...until the new series is released next year:-D. My fave Xtended edition has clearly got to be Tikka to Ride.

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Bodyswap right now. Not my favourite as the dubbing is so obvious. If CC was as good an impressionist as CB, they could have just done it that way.

6. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Was tempted to begin a slow rewatch of series 8 last night... but then I watched the news instead.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

A sensible decision on your part. The news is infinitely more entertaining (and probably more amusing too) than series 8.

I watched series 8 all the way through recently and didn't laugh once.

8. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

The things people say about series 8 make me laugh in themselves!

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I like series 8.

There, I said it.

10. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I don't mind it either.

11. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

All series have their good parts and bad parts.

I, II, VII, VIII, IX and X all (for me) have more bad parts than good, but my opinion over time changes for them and when tempers and disappointed feelings settle, I can appreciate some (but not all!) things more than I used to.

12. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

I just revisited Series 8, and had an interesting discovery: the standalone episodes (even "Krytie TV") are far and away better than the multiparters. They obviously still have there issues, but the repetition, unnecessary joke explanations and ridiculously cartoony hijinks (i.e. Dibley Family, Blue Midget dance and all that dinosaur eating a curry nonsense) were largely absent.

Which begs the question: how much better would Series 8 hold up if it had been eight standalone stories? Obviously it'd still be inferior to everything before (and after) it, but I think to a much lesser degree.

13. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Inferior to the current stuff? Seriously? In comparison, S8 is a masterpiece.

Last episode I watched was Tikka to Ride.

14. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

No better. It is fundamentally flawed in concept & embarrassingly unfunny x

15. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

You haven't seen the current stuff yet, though?

16. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I seem to think that Tikka To Ride was definitely the highlight of series 7. Everything else - not so much. Likewise, with series 8, I think Cassandra was the highlight. However, my memory of series 8 as a whole was that it tried too hard and was too... well... wacky? Childish?

The worst I can muster for the "current" (BTE/X) stuff is that it was inoffensive, but I've still watched all the episodes a few times. It wasn't quite up there with the greats, but I thought it was close. Somewhere between series 6 and 7 in quality. Tighten up the jokes, put in some better situations, give the sets a more "grunge-y" feel...

17. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

By current I mean SX

18. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Really excited as I finished watching S8 last night, and can now start at the beginning again... or The End, to be precise.

19. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

The End - the start of which always makes me want a Holland's steak & kidney pie!

20. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

Watched Marooned again. Love this episode.