Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Dear Dave

2. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

Bodyswap.

3. simulant37

White Hole

4. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Psirens.

As good a series as VI is, I really really miss Red Dwarf (as a vessel). I miss the scope and possibilities it offers. And I especially miss the bunk / quarters setting. It would have worked to have them chasing the crimson short one for a single episode, or maybe two, but to have it absent for the entire series was a big mistake in my opinion.

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Tikka to Ride - and man alive that leg of (something?) that Cat's eating round the fire looks delicious! Always makes me want food - and I don't need a lot of encouragement on that front.

6. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Lemons. Better than I previously thought, and there are a few good little details. I liked that Jesus initially thought Kryten was a gladiator, and there's some half-decent little gags during conversation - something I need more of (I need more Dwarf content, and it's been a while since I've seen series 10).

One thing I liked though was the first few moments of the episode - the storm on the planet they were passing (which looked cheap, but hey-ho) and then cutting to a fry-up on the Dwarf. Made me think they were hunkered down against the elements outside, just hanging. If they had put some wind noise in the bunk room scene, making us think that the storm was going on outside the ship, then it would have added to the atmosphere quite a bit.

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Beyond a Joke - possibly my favourite of series 7. It has an AR segment (always welcome), a great Simulant in Don Henderson, and one of the best sets ever (Centauri interior) - if indeed it is a set. Looks like it might be an old aircraft fuselage, but still brilliantly 'done up'.

8. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Parallel Universe, came across Red Dwarf when I was channel surfing so watched it despite having all of Red Dwarf on DVD.

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Gunmen of the Apocalypse

I had quite a bit of spare time to fill last weekend and so I decided to give this gem of an episode another watch.

I wish that medieval jousting sequence in Stoke Me a Clipper had been our introduction to the artificial reality machine. The dreary film noir sequence that we get instead is the only part of this episode that I don't much like. I also wish a few of the early scenes could have been truncated or removed and we could have had a couple more scenes in Laredo. Apart from that, this is of course classic Dwarf. Lines still make me laugh after all this time, even though I know all the jokes inside out. This is something that doesn't happen much post-series 6 - especially series 8 in which I do more eye rolling than laughing.

10. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Marooned, felt like watching a Lister and Rimmer episode. Had fun looking at the differences between Starbug in this season compared to later seasons.

11. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Back in the Red (all three episodes)

12. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Quarantine followed by Demons & Angels. They were on TV and just happen to be amongst my favourites so I watched them.

13. simulant37

Lemons, as awful as I remembered... if you please...:roll:

14. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

First 3 episodes of Series II were on Dave yesterday, classic TV. Though sadly they cut Kryten's 'Swivel on it punk' moment.

15. simulant37

Shame on Dave!

16. Laylora

Laylora First Technician

I've been a bit of a stickler for watching it in order lately. I finished series X again yesterday and now I'm twiddling my thumbs wondering how long is acceptable before I go back and start again.

17. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Rebecca, my last rewatch I watched everything in order then I started on the bodysnatcher collection remarstered episodes. Whenever I do a rewatch it is with the original episodes.

My most recent episode was Nanarchy :-)

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Parallel Universe

I hate this episode - as in really, really, really hate this episode. It's so bad that I find it painful to watch - like when I'm watching series 8. The best thing I can say about it is that I hate Kryten more. I even hate the Rimmer/Lister conversation with all that wormdo stuff. There are some bits I like though. The song at the beginning is really catchy - though I really don't understand why it's there. Why did Rob and Doug decide to randomly insert a song from one their old radio shows? Especially since it has absolutely nothing to do with the plot.

The story is weak and unengaging, and the actresses who play the alternate Lister and Rimmer are crap and their characters are very badly written. They're annoying, unlikeable and one-dimensional. The actress playing female Rimmer is so wooden she could have been replaced with a cardboard cutout and nobody would have noticed. The guy who plays the Dog is also crap. And as for Hattie...well she's crap too. And sadly, unlike the others, she's going to be back for three more series.

A few random observations:
    • When they're moving across the floor, the skutters sound like lawnmowers.
    • I never noticed how crooked Norman's teeth were before now.
    • Anyone else never heard of Carmen Miranda? Rob and Doug do come up with some odd cultural references.
    • There's a really weird edit that's always annoyed me at the end of Lister's burping sequence.

19. simulant37

Oh dear...you are becoming a parody of yourself...

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Snigger. Should Irony Man be a superhero?
    I liked Hattie's Holly though.