Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Meltdown. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. I only watched it for research purposes...;-)

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Trojan

There isn't much to laugh at here, but there are a few decent moments along the way. Cat actually seems to get a lot of the funny moments. His 'slower than the speed of dark' line always stands out, and I liked 'It's like a pole-vaulter winning gold with a chopstick.' Why does everyone always go on about that moose stuff though? It's all right, but it's nothing special. That stuff about Rimmer's todger being painted with luminous paint belongs in series 8 and that moment with Howard calling Rimmer a t**t is something in comedy I've always been against - the lazy use of swear words for an easy laugh. The audience though loves it. They're annoyingly loud and hyper here - the most annoying that the audience has been since Kryten. And Kryten's mask looks particularly weird in this episode. It looks weird all the way through series X, but it seems at its worst in Trojan.

Overall, I've never liked this episode much. It just doesn't look and feel like the show I fell in love with.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Confidence and Paranoia

This is a nice little episode - not one of my favourites but very likeable. The only thing I don't like is those awful fake American accents in the film that Lister is watching (one provided by Chris Barrie). They're one of those things in Red Dwarf that always make me cringe. Some of the acting here is great - I love Cat's mini appearances and Lee Cornes' Paranoia. It's a shame he's so underused. I also love Confidence's death - even though I find it slightly disturbing. Would someone really explode like that if they removed their helmet in space?

I also noticed that computer that Lister uses to erase Holly's memory is a Commodore 64. And Rimmer mentions 'necrobics - hologrammatic exercies for the dead' in an early scene. For the first time ever I noticed that later in the episode there's a poster about necrobics on the wall.

4. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Watched two episodes before work this morning. I started with Polymorph becuase I always find watching Rimmer with his anger taken away interesting. I can picture that version of Rimmer being a preschool teacher of young children.

I then skipped Bodyswap and watched Timeslides since I didn't feel like watching Rimmer and Lister swap bodies.

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Back in the Red

I'm currently going through all ten seasons in no particular order, and once I've got season 8 out of the way I'm not going to revisit it for years. I don't want to put myself through all this again any time soon. Watching season 8 is painful. At least now I've only got two episodes remaining. Unfortunately, one of those is Pete. The main cast are appalling in this season and appear to be hamming it up for the audience - though the writing is part of the problem. This one episode sees Craig, Chris, Robert and Danny all having their worst ever scenes in all ten seasons. Craig's is the first scene where he's attempting to wind up Rimmer, with the worst part being when he's mugging for the camera doing his 83-year-old man impression. For Chris, it's the extra long Rimmer Salute scene with Captain Hollister. Robert's is with the psychiatric councillor. And I'm sure we all know what Danny's is.

6. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Rimmerworld. I watched the whole series 6 out of order over the past couple of days, and that is my least favourite episode of the season which was why it was last. I don't see how Rimmer could possibly clone himself considering he dead and how he was able to charge his lightbee if he was locked in a dungeon for 597 years.

7. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Surely not the bit where his heartbeat his funky tunes and he nods to it. I found that funny.

8. simulant37

Bodyswap. Reminded me of recent events on this forum.

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Are you being serious, Harry? I thought that was terrible.

In what way?

10. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Go in chat and you might find out! :roll:

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Camille

The difference between classic-era episodes and post season 6 episodes is startling. The comedy here in season 4 flows so easily and effortlessly and the acting is subtle and natural. In the season 8 episode I watched yesterday everything was forced, clumsy and in your face. As so often in the classic era, lines here still make me laugh out loud even when I know they're coming. The absolute gem of the episode though was one I'd completely forgotten:

KRYTEN: Oh, what is that fragrance? It smells divine!
    CAMILLE: WD-40.

Never one of my favourite episodes, this one surprised me by being a lot more enjoyable than I seemed to remember it being. Then again, anything would seem good next to season 8.

12. Ant the Dragon

How come you don't include series 7 in your "classic era". It was only four years later...

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Only you consider 7 to be part of the classic era.

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

From what I can gather it was another attempt to get on the forum by Danny, this time he was calling himself April Summers. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, perhaps someone can confirm this for those of us who have no interest in the chat room.

15. Ant the Dragon

Correct! Deleted posts and all... :roll:

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Stoke Me a Clipper

Rimmer-based episodes always prove two things: a) Rimmer is Red Dwarf's best character, b) Chris Barrie is Red Dwarf's best actor. This is a quite a fitting final episode for the original Rimmer, but - and despite how much I love season 7 - I do think that the opening scene with Ace Rimmer surfing the crocodile is Red Dwarf's jump the shark moment. Perhaps the idiom should be renamed 'surf the crocodile'. Here's Wikipedia's definition of jumping the shark:

"...the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality, signalled by a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of gimmick in an attempt to keep viewers' interest, which is taken as a sign of desperation, and is seen by viewers to be the point at which the show strayed irretrievably from its original formula."

The more I read this, the more I believe that the opening of Stoke is that moment. Everything had been fine up to this point. Seasons 1 to 6 are classic Dwarf and Tikka to Ride could easily fit into season 6 with a few adjustments (no film effect, get rid of the uncharacteristic background music). But the first scene of the next episode comes along and nothing will ever be the same again.

17. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I watched Queeg followed by Father and Suns. I was in a crazy computer mood and thought I would compare the episodes back to back. As much as I enjoy Father and Suns, Queeg is still the best computer episode. In Father and Suns I think they had the focus in the episode split to much between the vending machine chinese whispers, the crazy computer and Daves relationship with his father(self) I would have prefered chinese whispers to be moved out of this episode, it would have made more sense in Dear Dave. Seems that they only included it so they had something for Kryten to be doing. If the focus was shifted more to Pree and Dave I think I would have liked this episode more.

18. simulant37

Balance of Power. Reminded me of recent events on this forum.

19. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

The End, it was on TV and I started watching to see if it was original or remastered episodes. It was original. I didn't watch through the whole episode, I stopped when Lister got out of stasis, I love the episode but I love the build up more at the start with Rimmers exams and his getting taken past Lister in a stretcher just before Lister is put into stais. We seem to have more build up and character development about Rimmer before that point then we have about Lister. I wonder if Rimmer did know about the cat or at least suspected about the cat and if it was in one of this many hundreds of complaints he made to Mcintyre that Todhunter mentioned. I love this episode even though I didn't get to the end of the episdoe, since I was was going out and I have watched through it two other times recently.

20. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I watched Waiting For God. By accident. I wanted to watch Confidence & Paranoia but went into the wrong thing and couldn't be arsed changing it.

And it was actually pretty good. The thing is, like I guess many people here, I've seen various episodes of Red Dwarf so many times that I know a lot of the jokes (the new episodes can't come quick enough), but there's still some good conversation in there and a few little ones I forget. The episode is also a good "mythology-building" one in that we meet a character that Lister, Rimmer and Holly didn't know about (I guess the Cats must have left Red Dwarf shortly before Lister emerged from stasis - how Holly didn't notice it I'll never know, maybe one for the Objections thread) and it all feels very grand and all with the music and the Cat Bible pictures. I do also like that Lister basically fulfills the Cat Priest's dying wish.

Watching these episodes now, rather than when I was a kid, I'm able to better appreciate the contrasting scenario of Lister, who doesn't believe in religion but now has a great insight into how it can be believed, and Rimmer, who gets excited over the prospect of aliens. Whilst you would imagine that Rimmer is being the more scientific, I guess that you can boil it down to two competing ideologies with similar evidence. The thing is, in a bizarre turn, Lister knows he is wrong and his will lead nowhere, whilst Rimmer believes that the aliens exist and has faith that they do. The episode does mess around a little with the whole "religion vs science" stuff.