Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Pete

Well, I couldn't avoid this monstrosity since I'm determined to make my way through every episode before season 11 arrives. This isn't the Red Dwarf I know and love. I did laugh a few times (though they were very small laughs) but I rolled my eyes many more times. Doug attempts to recreate the wonderful Rimmer/Lister bunkroom two-handers of old. But the ones here are dumb, and conversations about toilets on planes make me despair. And why are Lister and Rimmer so chummy in this episode? There's never any sense that these two characters can't stand each other, which drove so much of the great comedy and conversations of old. And I've still no idea what the 'see you in ten minutes' thing is about.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Queeg

I decided to watch this episode next after finding that it currently stands in fifth position on the IMDb's ranking of all the Red Dwarf episodes - ahead even of such classics as Gunmen of the Apocalypse and Marooned. I've noticed it did really well in the survey we did on here too, coming in at number four. I don't think much of the episode and find myself baffled by its popularity. Why do people love it so much? It's all right, but - despite a good performance by Charles Augins - it's not that good. The Rimmer/Lister conversations I think are among the weakest of the early seasons and, unusually for the classic era, there's a lack of the entertaining hostility between the two characters.

3. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

I think that makes sense: the episodes display several months in their life in jail. It makes sense for the two to have bonded: Lister is grown up now and had already learned to accept Rimmer over the years. Rimmer has realised he is stuck in quite a horrible place and has only this new version of Lister to depend on in a jail setting which seems mostly populated with deranged criminals and insane wardens ... They only have each other.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

While it makes sense that Lister and Rimmer might become much more friendly with each other as they're both trapped in a dangerous and unfriendly environment, I don't think it's necessary for Doug to have completely eliminated all the hostility between them. And let's not forget that some great comedy can come from characters being hostile to each other while imprisoned - such as those wonderful scenes when Cat, Kryten and Lister were quarantined together. I just can't understand why Doug would make Rimmer and Lister so chummy when their relationship was always at its most entertaining when they clearly couldn't stand each other. I also think the lack of hostility between the pair is one of the main reasons why the Lister/Rimmer conversations in season 10 don't work for me.

5. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Queeg, one of my favourites, with the G&T commentary. Particularly enjoyed the theory about the whole episode taking place over five months!

6. DivineVarod

At which part of the show is it discussed?

7. Callisto252

It was Holly's 'April, May, June, July and August fool' line that prompted this, the idea that he kept up the Queeg pretence for all that time. Although as someone mentioned, maybe 'wheeze of the week' does disprove this slightly. Still, I found the thought of it pretty amusing!

8. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Are Lister and Rimmer that 'pally' in Pete? Rimmer blames him when they are frog marched in front of the captain, and Lister laughs at Rimmer when his clothes are getting eaten.

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, despite those two very minor moments you mentioned, they are very pally throughout the episode. If you'd never seen the show previously you'd assume they were long-time friends - not two people who supposedly can't stand each other.

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Waiting for God

This one's Rob Grant's least favourite episode, and it's easy to see why. It's a stale, uneventful, unexciting episode. Still, it's better than the whole of season 8. I'm glad they quickly dropped all this cat mythology rubbish. Am I correct in believing that this is the last ever mention in Red Dwarf of this cat religion stuff? Random observation: that milk bottle that Lister uses in this episode is weird - it looks more like a shampoo bottle.

In the Bodysnatcher documentary about season 1, Craig Charles goes on about having seen Noel Coleman (the Cat Priest) previously in black and white films and that he'd been a big Fifties screen idol. But a look at Coleman's Wikipedia page reveals that he seemed to spend his entire career making small appearances in various TV shows. I wonder if Charles is confusing him with Ronald Colman?

11. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Back To Reality

This is going to be a long one.

I've never been a huge fan of BTR, or at least I never watched it too much. Like Polymorph, Dimension Jump and Gunmen, I thought that because it was hyped so much it would be overhyped, and I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I should. Thankfully, I watched BTR the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The opening of the episode is one of my favourites ever, providing a brilliant and tense atmosphere. Doctor Who may have all the money now, but in my opinion this is one of the best openings in any sci-fi I've seen. Great model work (apart from the Despair Squid, which fails to make an appearance - though an old program guide I've got has photos of the model that was going to be used, and thank God it wasn't), especially the little detail of showing Lister, Kryten and Cat with torches making their way to the Esperanto. Keeping Rimmer on Starbug allows for them to heighten the atmosphere more by having them communicating back and forth. Also amusing to see the characters on the Esperanto start to despair, and Lister and the Cat more or less denying it.

Once we get to "reality" we can basically see that the episode had two guest sets, maybe three, which is fair enough. Duane Dibbley's reveal is practically the reason why the episode gets all the hype, and it's good to see how he's kept hidden for a few moments. If you watch the crew emerge from the game, you can see Duane stagger off into the background, presumably to keep the focus on Lister/Rimmer/the Doyles, and of course Kryten/Jake. I do wonder if that little bit was recorded before for the audience.

After discussing characters, they're off and into the car park where Kryten begins to break down after shooting the man. At this point, with about 7 or 8 minutes left, the episode quickly drops the facade that we could all see through anyway ("it was all a dream, wait it wasn't" is a familiar sci-fi trope) and does a brilliant "chase" sequence, basically mocking the fact that other shows would have actually had the chase sequence. Red Dwarf does something far more amusing than the chase the characters described, by basically having them act it out in a ridiculous manner using nothing but four boxes.

As I say, the "it was all a dream, wait it wasn't" trope is familiar, even to Red Dwarf which has used it three times now as far as I know (Back To Reality, Back In The Red, Back To Earth). But this one - yes, when I was watching this as a kid I did think initially that they were in a game and the new reality could be real. This episode does it so well, essentially dividing the episode into three parts - the first one with the Esperanto, the second in the false reality, and the third when it drops the false reality but keeps them in it, and it's this third part that makes the episode work for me.

12. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Nice review.

13. Callisto252

Completely agree about the chase scene (sorry still not worked out how to quote, it's not a simple copy and paste job is it?). I've heard that scene being used as an example of why Red Dwarf is rubbish, i.e. their budget didn't even stretch far enough to do the proper scene. But that's so missing the point! I think that even if there were choices they should have stuck to the way they did it, where would be the comedy otherwise? And who would want to miss out on that wonderful smeg-up with Chris Barrie falling off the box?!

(Just noticed where it says 'Quote' in red at the bottom. Guessing that's how you quote then!)

14. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

See at the bottom right corner of each post? Click on quote and Bob's your uncle :-)

15. Callisto252

Oh thanks Strat, just twigged at the same time!

16. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

lemons last weekend

17. johna1905

lemons last weekend

18. johna1905

lemons last weekend

19. DivineVarod

Thank you. Will listen to the episode soon :-D

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

DNA

A middling episode this one, but still full of great ideas and lines. I suppose it says something about how well Robert's Kryten has fit in with the show that this is the third episode in a row based around him - and he's only been in Red Dwarf for eight episodes. He shares a couple of nice scenes with Lister - they have a good chemistry together that reminds me of the classic Rimmer/Lister two-handers. The wine bar conversation in particular stands out. It's a nice little introspective moment for them both with Kryten admitting his bad behaviour and Lister confessing an embarrassing moment from his past. I'm having a bit of a mental blank right now, but are there any other episodes in the classic era with good Lister/Kryten conversations like this?