Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

'The Inquisitor' has a lot of Lister/Kryten interaction. Also the silicon heaven conversation and the beginning of Psirens spring to mind. Then there's that rather sweet conversation in series II about the garden, I'm not too keen on David Ross's Kryten though!

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

You've come up with some good scenes there. Though I'm not sure if any of them can match the DNA one with Lister and his wine bar confession and Kryten admitting that he's been acting like a jerk. There's something quite touching about this conversation. Seeing both characters admit to their flaws gives the scene a nice touch of poignancy.

As for David Ross and his portrayal of Kryten...I too can't stand his performance - he appears to spend the episode doing a bad impression of C-3PO. It's temping to think that I'd like him better if I'd never seen Robert's Kryten, but I'm not even sure about that. I just think it's a pretty lame performance regardless. The garden conversation is pretty nice though.

3. Callisto252

Wow you're right! I don't know how that's never occurred to me before.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Nanarchy

We start with a pre-titles sequence narrated in his familiar annoying season 7 manner by Kryten. Why do we need a 'previously on' sequence here? It's not as if everyone could forget that Lister lost his arm in the previous episode.

Overall this is a pretty mediocre episode, but it's still better than anything season 8 can offer. Kryten continues to be annoying, though not necessarily with his whiny jealousy towards Kochanski for once - this time it's his mothering of Lister that grates. It must be pointed out though that Robert's over the top acting is as much to blame as the bad writing. I really miss the Kryten of old. Also, why does he have to clean the crumbs from Lister's mouth (what Kryten refers to 'wipe alert') when Lister still has a perfectly functioning left hand?

5. Callisto252

The best moment for me is when you hear the familiar 'hum' of the original music starting up and that first glimpse of the ship. But then it's totally ruined by 'Guys we've got a problem' and that annoying buzzing sound.

I watched 'Confidence and Paranoia' last night with my son (his choice). It's never been one of my favourites from series I but I really enjoyed it, there are a lot of funny Rimmer lines. The episode always goes a bit off for me when the guest actors come on - I've never really liked their intrusion into the 'insular' feel of the first series. But the scene outside the ship is wonderful, mainly because of the evocative music.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, hearing that iconic music as Red Dwarf comes into view is a real goosebumps moment - especially if you've watched the episodes in order and the last time you saw the ship was in season 5.

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Better Than Life.

Is it just me, or does anyone else worry that if the BTL game ever became a reality they'd end up like Rimmer, and not be able to stop themselves imagining all their worst nightmares?

8. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Think I'd just have an orgy of food...

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The Beginning

I have to reluctantly state that I'm not very fond of this episode. Despite all the impressive external spaceship shots and explosions, I just don't find the story all that engaging. I also don't like all that messing about with Rimmer's back story here. I used to love hearing about Rimmer's family and all their oddities back in the early seasons, but the stuff here about the identity of Rimmer's real father just seems to be a major revelation that's been dropped in for the sake of a cheap laugh. The episode did give me a few small laughs, but a lot of the jokes and their delivery are pretty laboured. The cast don't seem to be the consummate comedy performers that they once were.

10. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Yes, a banquet of sushi and Chinese dim-sum for me.

11. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Didn't know whether to put this post in my '... new Red Dwarf Doesn't Work' thread, but I've just watched all three episodes of BtE back-to-back, and I have to agree with Ant about how under-rated it is.

I find it hard to understand how any real Dwarf fan can put Series X above this. The tone, dialogue, performances, etc, of BtE pees all over X if you ask me. And yes, I know I was one of its biggest critics when it first aired, but you have to remember that at the time all we could compare it with was 'classic' Red Dwarf. Now I'm comparing it to X.

Also, I do recall saying something about episodes 2 and 3 being much better.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned watching BtE again has only reinforced my reasons for not liking X, namely its farcical tone which totally lacks any drama or emotion.

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Stasis Leak

Useless bit of trivia:

Working on the approximation of 4 seconds per floor, it would have taken Rimmer, Lister and Cat approximately 2h 50s to reach the stasis leak on floor 16 using Express Lifts.

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Backwards

First of all, why is the scene from season 2 with Cat and Lister moving the gravestone in this season's opening titles? Was it a mistake? Anyway, this was the first episode I ever saw (way back in 1990 when season 3 was first repeated) and loved it at the time, but with all that reverse film humour it hasn't dated at all well. Heath and Angela from the Red Dwarf Introcast got it spot on when they said it's a gimmick episode, and it certainly feels like Rob and Doug had discovered a new trick and decided to base an episode around it. Therefore, we get endless footage of people doing things in reverse: drinking, eating, driving and riding bikes. It's more like an episode of the Goodies in parts. The only scene in this episode I really like is the driving test parody.

14. Ant E

Are you sure you actually like Red Dwarf? I don't think I've ever read a single positive review by you where you like an episode of the TV series Red Dwarf!!!!!!!! :x

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I did a mostly positive review of DNA on the previous page.

16. Callisto252

Completely agree with this review - loved it back in the day, now find it rather tiresome. As I said in another thread, if I'd been watching Red Dwarf from the beginning I would have found the changes in this episode rather jarring.

Anyway I keep breaking my resolve to hold back on the RD till later in the summer, and watched Me2, Thanks for the Memory and Parallel Universe. I just love these early episodes and find them strangely comforting to watch. I much prefer the opening titles of I and II - they really convey a sense of loneliness and isolation, especially the part where the ship fades away. Sometimes I think the thing I like most about Red Dwarf is the ship itself!

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Quarantine

This is just a great episode, but it took me many years to realise that. I didn't like it much in the past but over time it's grown on me. Once again I'm struck by the difference in the acting here and the acting from season 7 and beyond. There's no playing up to the audience, which I think is at the heart of the problem with the later seasons. The cast just act naturally in an unselfconscious fashion as if there's no audience present. There's no hamming at all. The storyline is engaging, the jokes are funny, and the wonderfully eccentric Dr Lanstrom is a great guest character.

There are a couple of bad points, however. The model shots in this episode are hideous. There's one shot with what looks like a couple of plastic toy tractors. And that Mickey Mouse/Betty Boop joke...How on earth did this one get past season 5 quality control? They should have saved it for season 8.

18. Ant E

I always liked the escape pod model shot!

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I think that was the one decent model shot in the whole episode.

20. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Balance of Power. Thought it was weaker than I remembered. A contender for the worst ep of series one, I think.

Which gives me an idea for - a thread!