Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Only the Good...

And so I continue my journey through every episode, and how happy I feel that I've now watched all of VIII and can leave this detestable season behind me (I'm not watching the episodes in order - it's just a coincidence that the season finale was the last of VIII that I watched). We go from one excruciating scene to another - the 'have a nice period' and Cat trying to get himself beaten up are perhaps the worst out of the episode. Whatever happened to Tony Slattery, who turns up here as the voice of the vending machine? At the time he was insanely ubiquitous in British film and TV and then just vanished. You never see him anywhere now.

I don't know if I'll ever bother watching any of this damn season again. It's certainly going to be many years at least. I just get nothing out of it. I really think that the next time I rewatch the whole of Dwarf I'm going to give the season a miss. I'm just going to leap from 'Guys, we have a problem!' to 'Nine Years Later'.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Dimension Jump

This is one of those fan favourite episodes that I like much less than most other Red Dwarf fans. There is some pretty good stuff here though. Chris Barrie is amazing as Ace Rimmer. It's Barrie's versatility that impresses - the way he manages to create a character that is the complete opposite to Rimmer. He even seems to walk differently when playing Ace. There's another good Lister/Rimmer scene later in the episode, which once again only goes to demonstrate how inferior the equivalent scenes in season X are. There's just no hamming it up from Barrie and Charles here, and the dialogue is engaging and laugh out loud funny. Overall though, I'd have to say that I slightly prefer the other Ace Rimmer episode, Stoke Me a Clipper, to this one.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

When I first saw Dimension Jump, I'm slightly embarrassed to say it took me a (to be fair: short) while to realize it was the same actor playing an alternate version of Rimmer...

4. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Meltdown, and it's still an episode I can happily take or leave. I can take it because it has the occasional funny line and some ok set-pieces, but I can leave it because something just doesn't sit right with it. Something is off and it somehow doesn't feel like Red Dwarf.

5. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Agree. Stoke me a clipper is way better!

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Psirens

I used to consider this my least favourite episode of my favourite season, but now I think it's just managed to push past Emohawk to take fifth position in the excellent season 6. It's an adequate opening episode but is ultimately just a bit lacking in something. It could have done with...I don't know...just one more memorable scene or something. Psirens also has quite a few of those weak lines that plague season 6 and make me cringe (Things like Cat talking about the meteorite having a duty free shop and Lister's mention of "Some country that's big on curly shoes and hummus"). Despite being my favourite season, I don't think the comedy here is as consistent as before.

One final thing: the closing titles of this episode contain what must be the funniest and oddest Red Dwarf credit:

"Featuring the hands of Phil Manzanera"

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

The problem I have with S6 (and any that follow, in fact) is that I really miss Red Dwarf (the ship). I know we never explore the ship's full size, but it's enough to just imagine a four-man crew rattling around what is essentially a floating city. It also means there's a notable absence of Sleeping Quarters / bunk scenes.

8. Ant E

It was barely used in series 5

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I know, but from S6 onwards it's officially 'lost'.

In fact, S7 manages to recapture the whole 'living in space' vibe, albeit on Starbug, better than series 3, 4, 5 and 6, which is why I like it so much.

10. Ant E

Ahhh I see, I see. Interesting point.

11. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

getting rid of "bunk scenes" was one of the best things to ever happen to RD. It's a better show as action-adventure rather than tedious avant-garde "bunk scenes" that only appeal to the few.

12. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

It's interesting that Series VI is still your favourite despite the shortcomings you list here, as these are reasons I would give to mark VI down a notch (compared to the previous five series). The comedy is definitely patchier, with many more 'misses' than in previous series, and there are too many formulaic and recycled jokes. I also find the characters more one-dimensional and really miss Red Dwarf and, yes, Holly. I still love it as a series, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it quite reaches the show's earlier heights.

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's just a personal taste thing. If I'm being impartial, I'd have to admit that season 5 is Red Dwarf's best season - all the elements that make Red Dwarf great are in play in 5: the wonderful science-fiction concepts, the well-crafted storylines and the great comedy. I also like the brooding, dark tone of most of the episodes in 5. But something about the Starbug-based concept of season 6 appeals to me more. Isolating the characters to one relatively small spaceship emphasises the 'alone in space' concept and makes the guys' situation feel more serious and life-and-death than before.

With regards to the increase in comedy 'misses' in 6...it might just be as a result of Rob and Doug's much higher gag rate this season, which had been influenced by their time making Red Dwarf: USA. There's still some great comedy, but with the higher number of jokes quite a number of substandard ones have made it through.

14. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I miss Holly, from series 3, until his return at the end of series 7.

15. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Fathers & Suns

Initially I wasn't keen on this episode. We'd just had Trojan which I quite enjoyed, but wasn't sold on Fathers & Suns. I guess I wanted more action, and more convincing action, but I guess compared to what I judge to be Red Dwarf's heyday of series 3-6, RDX was quite sedate. But looking back on Fathers & Suns now, it does largely work.

The main issue I have with the episode, and a lot of RDX, is extra unneeded crap. Trojan had the phone plot. Entangled had Kryten & Cat saying each others lines (which wasn't annoying, but I felt it wasn't necessary). Here we've got the Chinese Whispers one. I'll never quite understand why it was included - the others had a bit of a pay-off. Also, the dentist storyline. Plus the medi-bot and vending machines were annoying.

But, the meat of the episode is at least somewhat funny. The idea of Pree is pretty good and let's not forget, Red Dwarf has had a predictive computer before (Cassandra). The fact that she botches it up just as Rimmer would was amusing, but I don't feel she was played straight enough to be a menacing villain.

The Lister storyline, however, is SO much better than what we had in Ouroboros. It doesn't try any extra sci-fi smeg or anything, it just says "hey, remember this? Well so do we". The Lister/Lister scene is definitely one of the best things from RDX and is actually pretty good Red Dwarf as a whole (especially Lister discovering the wooden guitar).

Overall though, this episode seems to lack focus. There are two main storylines which both converge, and I'm not sure I want that from Red Dwarf. However, we have had this before (Waiting For God springs to mind, with Lister having to juggle Rimmer's quest for aliens and finding out more about the Cat people). It just seems... a bit too convenient? Not really. And both plotlines are fleshed out enough (again, let's ignore the vending machines). I just get a feeling that it could be better.

AND YET! It's still good. Not great, but in my opinion certainly one of the better episodes from RDX now. In regards to focus, it seems to have more than other RDX episodes (and I can say that the one I saw from RDXII seemed to have gotten back to series 5 levels of focus, only really concentrating on the one plot rather than trying to pad it out). Some good stuff, and for some reason the laughing gas bit always seems to get me.

16. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Or the fact the BBC forced them to get episodes ready and start filming far sooner than they and the actors wanted. they were writing scripts while they were already recording them ...

17. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Coincidently, given the avatar above, it was Demons & Angels last night.

I started a thread some time ago for discussing episodes that have grown on you. If a thread existed to discuss the opposite, this would be top of my list. I dislike it more every time I see it, so much so that I'm getting to the stage where I seriously consider skipping it during my regular run-throughs of the series.

18. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Guess you're not a Hattie fan then!

I also watched Fathers and Suns last night and would agree with djmcbell that it is mostly good, with a small sprinkling of very bad (Taiwan Tony, medibot etc). The actress who plays Pree gives the best performance of the episode, and possibly of the series. I actually think the Chinese whispers thing is a clever idea which doesn't quite work, mainly because the pay-off is too weak and feels over-manipulated. I do like the scene with Lister flying into the ram scoop, though the fact that the music now reminds me of a Halifax advert diminishes it somewhat!

19. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

I like the "Highs" sequence and think it's a shame they edited some very interesting bits out of that. If they'd worked with the "repressed desires/personality aspects" instead of the gore at the start and in the middle it would have been a great and interesting storyline ...

20. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

That'd be an understatement.

Yeah, it's a half-decent episode up until the Lows' stuff. The portrayal of the Lows is truly awful by all involved.