Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Legion. Love this episode.

Also, has anyone else noticed Craig Charles mouthing Danny's line when he says, "Aw, we're deader than A-line flares with pockets in the knees!" ?

2. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Rimmer World last night.

I'm nearing the end of this current run, and at the end of series 7 I'll be taking a break from the series. For the last 12 months or so, I've been on a constant loop of the show, watching approx two episodes of RD every night, from The End right through to Nanarchy, before starting all over again.

I'm going to move on to Auf Wiedersehen, Pet for a while.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Fathers and Suns

Despite a few problems, season 10 is standing up well to the test of time for me. In fact, I'd say I like it more than seasons 1 to 3 (and of course season 8 ), and I love this episode. It's certainly my favourite from season 10. I don't even mind Kerry's Shale's much maligned three performances, though his Medibot is completely out of place in the Red Dwarf universe - thinking about it, all three of his characters are. Robert is overacting again in his first appearance of the episode, but he seems back to his old self later. I really hope he can tone down his acting for seasons 11 and 12 - Kryten from 3 to 6 is my favourite character and I'd like to see him return to that earlier form. I also hope they improve his mask.

4. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Bye

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

My respect for you has just shrivelled up and died.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Beyond A Joke

I love this episode a lot more than I feel I should, but something about it just appeals to me - this despite the fact that it isn't very funny. It's the storyline that I like, as well as two of the guest characters. Robert displays his versatility by making Able completely different to Kryten, but it's Don Henderson who pretty much steals the show as the simulant. This is back when the simulants in Red Dwarf were still menacing as well as amusing. Poor Chloe has some terrible lines in this episode - like the one about Jane Austen and baths and another regarding the third largest city in Vietnam. I suppose jokes like these tell us a bit about Kochanski's character, so at least on that level they succeed. And, unlike the cardboard Kochanski of season 8, at least she has some kind of personality this season.

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Beyond a Joke is my favourite episode from S7. The reason for me is that it harks back to what I love about S1 and 2, namely just a small crew on a massive ship, floating around in space and doing their best to kill time. There's no rushing around like headless chickens, no driving of a running plot. The crew are just idling around - possibly in danger of boredom - so find ways to amuse themselves until Kryten's head explodes. Even then the episode ends with them back in the AR suite, giving Jane Austin World another try.

I never understood why Grant and Naylor seemed to grow fearful of giving the crew 'time off', instead moving towards increasingly heavy, plot-driven episodes where everyone's kept constantly busy with 'important' things.

8. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I don't think they grew 'fearful' of writing every-day-life-on-the-ship stuff, I just think they grew more confident at writing the complex, plot-driven sci-fi-ey stuff. In series I and II, their background as sketch comedy writers was certainly more evident - all those 'set pieces' of dialogue, many of them recycled from previous material. They must have made a deliberate and positive decision to move away from that style. I love love I & II, but I think III-VI move the show beyond the bounds of a mere sit-com into something truly groundbreaking. I do agree that a return to a slower pace at times would be nice, but the quality of the writing would be very much up for scrutiny!

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Yeah, perhaps 'fearful' was a bad choice of word. 'Move away' would have been better suited.

10. Callisto252

Got distracted earlier and forgot to mention the episode I last watched - Lemons!

Hmmm. I think it's quite an enjoyable episode if you're able suspend credulity for half an hour - and I can, because Red Dwarf has done this sort of thing before (Timeslides didn't make an awful lot of sense either). The Roman army in India thing should bother me (I used to study Classics) but, ultimately, it's a comedy so I'll give it a break on that score. The parts I didn't like were mostly to do with the performances: Rimmer in the Shakespeare scene, the 'speeching' guy, and Jesus in general. I think Kryten's great in this one though and I like how Jesus mistakes him for a gladiator! But I don't get why in the last scene Cat says, 'Hey, check this' before anything remotely worth 'checking' has actually happened - an example of his sensing things perhaps? Still annoys me though.

11. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Cat does a lot of that. There's a scene in Backwards where he and Lister emerge from the 'cloaked' Starbug. Cat knocks on the invisible craft and then lets out this bizarre, "Heeeeey!" for no obvious reason (Lister's already told him they came in cloaked, so as to not 'spook the natives') so why does he react like this when he gives it a knock?

Then in the same scene when Lister pulls out the homing device, Cat asks, "What's thaaaaat?", but in a rather aggressive/confused/strange tone.

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I still don't know what "Shakespeare...it's over!" is about.

It's a jarring out-of-character Rimmer moment anyway.

13. Callisto252

Yes, I was watching that scene a lot last week (trying to locate the lake!). The first 'hey' looks like it may have been followed by a cut, so maybe there was a reason why he said it originally. But I guess the Cat's main purpose in this scene is to clarify a couple of things for the audience - his ignorance makes the explanation less clunky. With the Lemons scene, the plot requires the characters to look round at the same time - having the Cat interject with another 'hey' was plausible enough, I suppose. Really don't want to get into analysing Lemons though!

14. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Well my intentions were sincere, but I started another run of Red Dwarf a couple of nights ago. Currently half way through S2 :roll:

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Bodyswap

Apart from Marooned, I have to say that I really don't think much of season 3, and this episode is another that falls into the 'mediocre' catagory.

That whole conversation about sexual organs always makes me cringe. It's the kind of crude, unsubtle conversation I'd expect in Bottom, where the writing was much lazier and always ended up focusing on the coarseness of a situation. But there are some great lines in this episode - Rimmer's line about the Caribbean and Grimsby for example. I also love that bit where Cat drops the tape containing Lister's mind into his cup.

I think Charles is better at being Rimmer than Barrie is at being Lister. Barrie exaggerates Lister's gait and facial expressions too much. And it's annoying that the dubbed on voices sound dubbed on.

16. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

And some cool model shots!! Albeit somewhat dated now!

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

ME2

After watching season 10 recently, I love the much better Lister/Rimmer dynamic that's on display in these early episodes. And the characterisation is just so much better here too. Rimmer's irritability always seems to be bubbling below the surface in his interactions with Lister and all his pettiness and foibles are constantly on show: demanding that he be given back his Blu-Tack, the press cuttings about other people that he uses for himself, using BSc and SSc after his name, blaming Lister for his failures and so on.

The gazpacho soup story though...it works so much better in Infinity. That was my favourite chapter from all the novels - the way Rob and Doug so fantastically expanded upon the whole idea and filled it out. The TV version is so flat in comparison.

18. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Yes, VI is a very solid series. I don't care much for Out of Time, but aside from that one it's a stand-out series.

Just watched GotA - an episode I never tire of watching.

19. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Justice, I don't have anything else to add since the last time I watched it recently. I do really enjoy this episode, its hight up on my personal fav's list.

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

White Hole

With this episode I'm reminded of Kryten talking about Legion's statues fulfilling all the requirements for being masterpieces. Similarly, White Hole fulfils all the requirements for being a brilliant episode of Red Dwarf: a great storyline, some classic scenes (the 'so what is it?' scene is one of the best ever), hilarious lines, and a good guest performance (David Ross is much, much better at being Talkie Toaster than he is at being Kryten). The only thing I can't stand about this episode is Hattie. She comes across as a nice person in real life, but I've always detested her Holly.

Interestingly, in the novel Talkie asks the high-IQ Holly who is God. The answer Holly gives is 'Lister' - something that has never been explained.