Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I am obviously not sure about this but does the genius Holly state that Lister is God because he is after all the Cat race "God," as seen in the events of series 1's Waiting for God?

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Having just had another look at that part, I realised I've misremembered it.

Holly didn't say actually Lister was God, but instead stated that Lister created the universe (which is pretty God-like anyway). Perhaps this was something that Rob and Doug meant to explain in a future novel but got forgotten about when they went their separate ways.

3. AndrewCFrancis

AndrewCFrancis Skutter

"Yeah! You know the bit where Lister jump starts the second big bang with jump leads from Starbug?"

4. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

"Jump starts the second big bang ??"

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That bit from Back to Reality is what it made me think of.

6. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I've not watched any RD for quite a few weeks - deliberately so, as I want to go through all the series before XI airs. It's just struck me that it's probably time to get on with it - it's only 10 weeks till the end of September, so even viewing one series per week may not be enough. I wondered if Dave would be doing a countdown of all the series like last time but the only episodes scheduled are for bank holiday weekend (showing all of series II).

7. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

The End and Future Echoes last night - thought I should make a start on my rewatch.

What struck me more than ever this time was Red Dwarf itself - such a beautifully detailed model. How strange that the ship sequences filmed almost 30 years ago (beginning of '87, I think?) have never been bettered - and in fact have been followed by far inferior ones. I have higher hopes for XI now they've gone back to using a motion control camera, but the current model of the ship just doesn't quite do it for me.

So sad that the original was ultimately broken up and chucked in a skip, what an ignominious end to such an iconic model! (if I had lots of money, I would definitely put in a bid for that piece of it advertised on here recently).

8. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Beyond a Joke.

Not only is this series VII's best episode, it is, in my humble opinion, one of the best episodes, full stop.

It's one of those episodes (Gunmen is another) where my mind half convinces me it's a special extra-long one, and I can't put my finger on why.

9. FeeBeeBells

FeeBeeBells Deck Sergeant

Timeslides. Love Rimmers reasoning for "saving" Lister from his life as a billionair. Lister in this episode has always seemed a little bit out of character to me.

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's not a popular episode (in fact it's hated by many fans), but it's one of my favourites too, and one I often put on when I'm in the mood for watching some Red Dwarf.

11. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

With the possible exception of Tikka... I think that is my favourite episode of Series 7.

I think it seems long, (in a non-dragging sense) due to the fact so much happens in it.

I never quite got the dislike either since it has most of the structure and ingredients of the best RD episodes. I think it's mainly due to the fact it involves Kryten being moody and jealous (although I think it's explored in a very funny way in this episode with the Austen VR shenanigans) and the fans haven't gotten over the loss of Rimmer, and they dislike his replacement. A shame, as she shows some really positive traits this episode. She's starting to accept her place in the crew and is knuckling down after the moaning of previous episodes, which was understandable in context, but a sore point for those pining after Rimmer. Who was never snobbish or moany as we all know.:roll:

As for Lister kicking a simulant, he is brave when he needs to be. If the issue is with the fact that he successfully knocked down a cybernetic killing machine who should be able to withstand a barrage of bazookoid fire, there is no indication, apart from the simulant looking a bit stunned, that he did any damage. Tough armour does not equate to having one's centre of gravity disrupted by an outside force. the simulant is human shaped after all. Probably heavier than a human, due to his mechanical parts, but capable of being knocked down. He was taken by surprise, giving Lister enough time to blast the gelf and do the teleportation trick.

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

The only aspect of this episode which lets it down is the whole 'bomb' thing. It's utterly nonsensical, not in theory, but in execution. It makes no sense that Kochanski doesn't explain to the crew that she's only making the Simulant suspect they may have planted a bomb by running in the opposite direction. And the Sim's line, "We know about the bomb" only adds to the confusion and implausibility.

13. Abe but more Christmassy and all

Abe but more Christmassy and all Deck Sergeant

I'll be honest, I think VII and VIII get it worse than they deserve, they both have legitimate merits. In VII, hose merits are that it can tell a story but not a joke, in VIII it's that it can tell a joke but not a story. It's a delicate balance which I think the show's starting to figure back out. I mean, not to say that Tikka wasn't funny, or that Cassandra didn't go through as a pl, it's just that as a series they each come up lacking in their own ways, similar to the way V misses any lightheartedness.

14. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Guest

"Back to Reality" is the last episode I've watched. It's one of my favorites actually. I like how they ....... went back and brought back a "character" (the suicide squid) besides.......... Dwayne Dibbly! And the technician laughing at them for their 4% score.

15. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I thought Kochanski comments made it clear. She didn't state it outright, sure, but I got her plan, pretty much straight away. The joke was that Lister and Cat were slow on the uptake and she didn't get the credit for being a clever-cloggs that she hoped for.

16. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

No, when they ask her why they've turned around and are flying in the opposite direction she says, "The only reason I can think of is if we've planted something on the Centauri and we knew it was gonna blow any second."

Well why does she say "The only reason I can think..."? Why doesn't she say, "Well if we head in the opposite direction the simulant might wonder if we've planted something and come back to find out what."

In other words she acts as though she herself doesn't know why she told them to turn around and fly in the opposite direction. Like I say she has no reason not to tell the guys her plan.

17. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I've just started watching VIII and while I'm certainly with you on VII's reputation, VIII doesn't sit well with me.

I've defended it in the past, just as you have here, but I watched the first three episodes and was very aware of just how bad a series it is. Maybe it was my mood, but it's about as far removed from what makes Red Dwarf Red Dwarf as it's possible to be.

18. Abe but more Christmassy and all

Abe but more Christmassy and all Deck Sergeant

Personally, I do actually think that it's got some important character pieces which we never would have gotten with just the four boys on a ship.

19. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Waiting for God.

"After intensive investigation, of the markings on the Alien pod, it has become clear, to me, that we are dealing, with a species of awesome intellect:"

20. Woolford

Woolford First Technician

I watched thanks for the memory's last night. So funny. I'm tired and want to go to bed, had a little drink about a hour ago to separate rimmer's death :-)