Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. ChangeOfPlan

ChangeOfPlan Third Technician

Last night while having my tea, Better than life.

My thoughts on it? Well the chicken was lovely but the veg was slightly under done. :-)

Quality episode though, favorite part has to be the outland revenue inspector smashing Rimmers hand at the end with a four pound mash hammer.

2. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

love that episode,

rimmers's dad calls him a smeghead, even portable holly has jam smeared on him and is buried in sand, cat play golf by throwing the club... the list can go on forever

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm another Better Than Life fan. It begins a sequence of three classic series 2 episodes that continues with with Thanks For The Memory and concludes with Stasis Leak.

It's just a shame that series 2 also begins and ends with my all-time two least favourite episodes.

4. poutashi

poutashi Skutter

Went right back to the beginning yesterday and watched 'The End', red dwarf's first episode. Still love the 'everybody's dead dave' bit by holly and the cat's mini iron. We are also introduced to Cloister the Stupid and Rimmer's 'albino mouse droppings'. I always think it's a shame we never got to learnt more about the Cat and his people.
    Thanks for listening.

5. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Agreed, it's a shame we never got the lost cat episode (from the bodysnatchers boxset) That would've been a great ep.

I Watched the whole of series 1 again last night, and am about to continue with series 2 and beyond tonight...seeing as i'm too skint to go out ;-)

6. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

in series 7 we get the special cat episode in planning stage pics and chris doing all the voices , so in that one we get a peek into the special forces cats, and cat is not considered a cat by them.

7. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

That episode - Identity Within - was on the Series VII DVD, not the Bodysnatcher boxset.

8. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

And it's horrible. :P

----

Last watched a mismatch of scenes from Back to Earth trying to remind myself of something. Unless you count the DVD documentaries then: Dwarfin' USA, Series V, Series VIII

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've only listened to Identity Within once, but I seem to remember thinking that, had it been filmed, it would possibly have been one of series 7's standout episodes.

I'm guessing the fact that the script includes a GELF village caused problems as it would have cost a lot to create, which is a shame as I would have loved to have seen it.

10. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Thanks a lot. Glad we bothered.

11. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

i appreciate it being there, Andrew. I also agree that had it been filmed, it would have been one of series 7's stand out episodes.

12. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

...it's just that that's not saying much!

Actually, I did quite enjoy "Identity Within", and of course ones natural reaction to enjoying something is to want to see it in another form. However, I'm not that certain that the episode would have sat well within the series. I think it would have been very costly to make, but wouldn't have been particularly satisfying to watch. There was something about it that was too "startreky". A bit too "aliens everywhere" (even though they're GELFs and cat folk) that just doesn't fit with dwarf. Once you've opened that floodgate, you can't simply ignore in the future the fact that the dwarfers are in a part of the Universe full of GELFs and cat people. I for one would want to know where these creatures are for the rest of the dwarfers' journey. As things are, without having shown an episode clearly suggesting a thriving economy of non-humans in the locale of Starbug's meanderings, they can be brought in as and when needed, as they have always previously been.

It worked very well, I thought, in the form in which it appeared on the dvd, with the vocal talents of Mr Barrie and the artistic talents of, err, whoever did the storyboards.

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'd actually quite like that (at least where gelfs are concerned. I think the Cat people should maybe be saved for later. This episode dealt with individual Cats... so I'll accept that they're a splinter group maybe, but I'd like to find out more about what happened to the main ark later on). I thought the Kinitawowi village stuff in Emohawk was great, and I enjoyed the gelf civilisation stuff in Doug Naylor's novel Last Human. I'd love to see what kinds of gelf they can come up with now that effects capabilities are more advanced. I'll understand if that's not doable with the budget though, and I wouldn't want each episode to be 'gelf of the week'.

I shouldn't worry about that. Space is a very big place.

As for Identity Within, it was great to have it on the disk and the story was decent. It would need some work to have fitted into the series arc though. I.e. would Rimmer be replaced by Kochanksi, or would it be set before Stoke me a Clipper? And what about the nanobots Kryten used to scan Cat, considering what we learned about them at the end of the series? Or are these a different set of nanobots with a different function that remained behind? I'm sure the latter could have been dealt with in a simple medical scan as they've always done, but I'm sure you get what I mean. I actually wasn't keen on the stuff about the 'poison sac' that developed due to the Cat not mating. I understand this might be a strange mutation that developed over the millions of years, but ... I don't really buy it. I'm sure they could have come up with something else to get them on the planet though.

14. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

You don't ask people to justify why they like it. ;-)

Fine, it has interesting ideas but I greatly dislike it:

Tamsin Ora has a name but Cat doesn't for some reason when he's supposed to be the domesticated one; Cat's "worryingly abrupt murder of the villain" whose villainy is off screen and revealed by instinct; the finding of another two of the species seems a little too convienient for me; "No offence-" "None taken, ugly" doesn't ring true to the characters in my mind; Duct Soup is better.

----

And I last watched Identity Within to make that post. :P

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Listening to Identity Within again right now I'm reminded of how good a mimic Chris Barrie is. His Kryten and Cat are near perfect.

The only voice he does badly is Lister's. I've heard him do Craig Charles' voice a number of times now, and he always gets the pitch too high and does what sounds like an unconvincing attempt at a generic Scouse accent. It's like the dreadful accent he did in A Prince Among Men.

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Just watched Parallel Universe, which I previously considered to be my second least-favourite episode. I did like it a bit more this time round though. The first few scenes are good, but after that the episode suffers from the lack of a strong plot, and it's just basically a series of role-reversal jokes.

17. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

I watched BTE last night. (well there was no corrie on and just needed to see those cobbles) :-D

18. Paul Taylor

The last episode I watched was a few weeks ago, and it was Out of Time. Still trying to prepare myself to watch series VII.

19. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

Watch it 'ShinyThing' style. This consists of watching your least fave eps of the series first (and dont say all of them) and building up to the all grand finale of your fave episode in VII.

20. Paul Taylor

This is a pretty good idea. Unfortunately, I have to watch the episodes in order because of my CDOs. My CDOs used to be OCDs, but I couldn't just leave them in non-alphabetical order.