Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. CatLover74

CatLover74 Skutter

2. UnluckyChris

UnluckyChris Third Technician

I watched series 8 up to Krytie TV yesterday with the commentary on. I also watched the documentaries from the extras disc. I have only just got round to buying the 2 disc editions. They're excellent value with all the extras on, especially for the price you can get them at now.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Tikka To Ride
    I was surprised by how much I liked this. It would appear it's finally growing on me, just like almost all the rest of series 7 has been over the years. Many of the jokes fall flat, but the storyline is as clever as any in series 1 to 6. And the extended version is much better than the broadcast one.

Epideme
    This is a largely humour-free episode. There's also too much of the annoying, new jealous side of Kryten, which isn't helped by Llewellyn's tendency to ham up his performances post series 6. Gary Martin's brilliant larger than life performance is the highlight.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Stoke Me A Clipper
    Barrie is still great as Ace Rimmer, but this has one of the thinnest plots of any Red Dwarf episode and the pantomime-esque pre-title sequence appears to be a forewarning of what series VIII is to bring. I love the medieval jousting scene though.

5. LastTimeLord

LastTimeLord Supply Officer

Last episode I watched was The Last Day.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Ouroboros
    The least Red Dwarf-feeling episode so far, partly I'm sure due to the fact that Rimmer has only a fleeting appearance, but things aren't helped by Kryten suddenly becoming super annoying and un-Kryten-like. Llewellyn has to shoulder some of the blame here as he has a terrible tendency to overact after series 6. As with Stoke Me A Clipper, the plot is thin and unengaging. It probably says a lot that my favourite scene was the only one to feature Rimmer. When he's stood there waiting for Lister while holding up a sign with 'smeghead' on it, just for a moment it almost feels as if you're watching a scene from series 1 or 2.

This scene also brings up something that's always confused me, which I'll put in the 'Those bits in Red Dwarf you just don't get...' thread.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Back In The Red
    It was even worse than I remembered. So much of it is excruciating. Holly is so unfunny I found myself cringing every time he appeared on screen. Then there are the dancing Blue Midgets, the extra long Rimmer Salute, the Dibbley Family...I could go on, but it's beginning to depress me.

Series 8 is Red Dwarf: The Pantomime.

8. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

I like the dancing Blue Midgets and the Dibly family. They were fun. Silly fun, but still fun. I remember being really surprised when I joined this forum and found that of all things the majority of fans disliked the dancing Blue Midgets and the t-rex. I could understand the general dislike for series VIII, not least because Holly is rubbish and the gags are repeated in a way that is supposed to be funny but is just annoying. I can overlook its weaknesses and enjoy series VIII. Oddly, I really struggle to overlook the logical flaws that lead to the plots of 'Confidence and Paranoia' and 'Timeslides'. I have no explanation for that.

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I probably wouldn't mind the Dibbleys so much if it weren't for that egregiously bad, fourth-wall-breaking Reservoir Dogs sequence. What was that all about?

10. kiowa13

kiowa13 Skutter

'You’re so smart! I’m glad I came with you buddy.'
    'Well, we are the smart party.'

For the first time in a few years I watched the fantastic Backwards.

But whatever happened to the Red Dwarf Shuffle after its brief appearance here? :-(

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Krytie TV
    An unfunny wreck that takes series VIII to a new low. When you're going through all 55 Red Dwarf episodes in order rather than just selecting one at random, watching this is a slightly depressing experience as you get a real feel of how low the show has sunk.

12. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

As silly as the Pre-title sequence was work in kinda a sketch comedy kind of way, in which I think it worked well as a parody of Bond/Indiana Jones.......I can see it being a bit much though to some. However I am less forgiving to the stuff in series VIII like the Blue Midget dance or the WHOLE DAMN EPISODE of Pete part 2 which was the naydar of Red Dwarf IMO

13. Pecospete666

Pecospete666 Catering Officer

Pete sucked! the worst show!

14. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

For the last few weeks I've been doing a Dwarf marathon, watching every episode from The End onwards.

It was the first time I had watched most of the episodes in years. They're all enjoyable. I noticed a distinct increase in funniness between s3 and s4. From the very beginning of Camille, it seems the comedy has got better. The confusion between Kryten and Rimmer, when they're talking about Camille in Starbug's cockpit, is hilarious to watch.

With the exception of Waxworld, every episode in s4 and s5 is excellent - really, TV comedy at its best.

S6, alas, does still seem like a decline for me. There was one scene - can't remember which episode it was but it wasn't Emohawk - wherein every single joke was a repeat of some other joke from earlier, whether it be a space corps directive, a "deader than" or a tedious "more times than" simile. Also the characterisation is beginning to falter. They are losing their subtlety, whether it's the Cat's hidden intelligence, Lister's thoughtful moral core or Rimmer's smugness. As for Kryten, he frequently seems to be in charge (pretty weird for a service droid) which again seems like a character losing subtlety. However, on the plus side, the stories in s6 are pretty good - especially Legion, Gunmen of the Apocalypse and Out of Time.

Unfortunately, when I got to series 7, it was just so crap that I stopped watching after two episodes. Tikka to Ride is not only very bad taste, it features appalling characterisation (both in the writing and acting) and is very rarely funny. And, criminally, it contradicts what we learned about the time drive in the previous episode - how did they think that was acceptable?!

Then I watched Stoke Me A Clipper. What a pile of cack. And again there's this immorality about it. Did nobody think it was pretty bad taste to bury Ace and pretend it was "our Rimmer" who had died, essentially giving one man a different man's funeral? I find that very hard to sympathise with, let alone enjoy. And what about Kryten and the Cat? From their perspective, they've just lost a crewmate of 7 years and they hardly seem bothered about it.

That is appalling writing.

I knew that the next episode was Ouroboros. Much as I find Chloe Annett easy on the eye (and ear, with that lovely posh accent of hers), I knew I was in for a third helping of bad characterisation, lousy plotting, bad jokes and perverse morals. So I didn't bother.

Thus, my Dwarf marathon ends at Stoke Me A Clipper and that is the "last RD ep I watched recently". The rest of the run can, well, be enjoyed by somebody else.

15. james3325

james3325 Second Technician

ive just watched all the series through back to back and just finished watching back to earth which wasnt as bad as i remember now i can watch them all over again with commentary please dont judge me :-D

16. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

That's true. I hadn't noticed that. To be honest I haven't thought about the episode all that deeply because I just find it a rather unpleasant episode, with the stuff about getting JFK to assassinate himself, and this being used as a crass joke.

I wonder if the same thing could have been done in good taste? I mean, it's clear they're not making fun of JFK - they have nothing against him. And the whole question of whether it is right to do something bad in order to preserve a greater good, and the importance of the greater good being apparent even if it is not pure underneath (see The Dark Knight etc.) is a very interesting one, but it just doesn't seem to be explored in Tikka to Ride, whereas in earlier series it would have been a key point of the episode and a matter of heated discussion between the crewmates. JFK should assassinate himself, really, because it would be "funny".

It's just a horrible episode, IMHO.

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Only The Good
    Not as bad as I thought it would be. It's an above-average series 8 episode, but there's still too much toilet humour. The ending is great until the Grim Reaper turns up. Before that it was very similar to Out Of Time's climax.

Back To Earth
    This episode is completely unique in Red Dwarf's history, and seeing it in context after watching the previous eight series really reinforces that. It's bizarre, unusual and disappointing. I'm so glad it didn't prove to be the final ever episode as it would have been a bad way for the series to end.

And so that concludes my Dwarfathon. I've never watched all the episodes in order before, and it's been a wonderful experience. I highly recommend that other fans do it. As I've said elsewhere, you get a really good sense of how the show evolved from series to series, which is something you just don't notice so well when watching random episodes. I might decide to have another Dwarfathon in the run up to series XI, which this time will consist of 61 episodes.

18. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

I'm pleased you enjoyed the experience. I have at least a couple of 'The End to end' Dwarfathons a year, and I've found my feelings about different episodes and series change each time. Perhaps you'll find the same.

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Maybe it did. We saw him vanish after killing his younger self, so who is to say he didn't reappear before the events happened? I know that wasn't the implication, just giving a possible explanation.

And Seymour, please don't take offence at this. It's fair enough that you didn't like Series 7 (okay you've only seen a couple of episodes, but as they're probably among the best, it's unlikely you'll like the rest*) but to see those things you mention as 'morally offensive'... well, I don't think I've ever come across that interpretation before. Unfunny yes (although personally I liked it). It just find it a bit of a misinterpretation, particularly in the case of Rimmer taking Ace's place. Ace wanted him to take his place after all.

If anything, taking his place without letting Cat and Kryten know (although I suspect they found out later, off-screen as it were, if they didn't suss things out when he accidentally shot himself out of the ship's cockpit) could be taken to be an act of self denial on Rimmer's part. He could have bragged "see I've got what it takes! I'm the new Ace Rimmer", but he didn't he effectively let himself die and went off to continue the legacy leaving the dead Ace to take the credit. Okay, Lister really lied to allow Rimmer an easy route off the ship without fuss, but Rimmer went along with it.

*I really liked Beyond a Joke, but I believe I'm in the minority there.

20. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

I think the key to the Dwarfers survival in 'Tikka to Ride' isn't their murder at the hands from their future selves, but the future selves destruction of the Timedrive.