Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's about 30 mins long if I remember correctly and is definitely worth watching if you're a big Red Dwarf fan, if only for its curiosity value.

2. 74384338

74384338 First Technician

Great, thanks. This time tomorrow Identity Within will be the "Last RD ep. I watched recently".

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

No, as far as I've been able to determine the Roman Empire never reached that far and it seems pretty implausible that they'd send small groups of Legionnaires ranging far and wide chasing the son of a petty criminal like some kind of ancient Interpol. To be fair though, that's just one plot hole among many in that particular episode.

4. 74384338

74384338 First Technician

A nice episode might have been set about eighty years later when lemons reached Italy, as Roman Britannia, Gallia and finally Italia would have made a spectacular (if expensive) set. I like Lemons though.
    Oh, and the Romans mayn't have taken India over, but they knew of its presence and, later on, traded with it. So if the Dwarfers had waited they may have been able to get some lemons brought over in a ship.

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

And indeed the "Romans in India" thing was very much a tiny plot hole next to some of the others.

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Or for another major plot hole here, they could have used any one of many of the fruits native to Britain or their juices as a substitute. They wouldn't have even have had to cross the English channel (Which was far from a risk free venture in itself for nearly the next 2,000 years), or for that matter they probably would not have had to leave the forest they materialised in.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Just out of interest, what native fruits could they have used instead?

8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Anything acidic, plums, blackberries, even apples.

9. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

It's a shame really because for the most part I think the humour in Lemons was pretty good. The plot holes, errors and inconsistencies ruin it for me though, I know it's Red Dwarf and to a degree plot holes and silliness (like mutated developing fluid :roll: ) are to a degree par for the course, but there's just too much that I pick up on in that one episode. In spite of that I can still enjoy watching Lemons, but as a story there are big problems there.

10. metallithrax

metallithrax Third Technician

Currently watching series 8 with commentary. Watched 1-5, 7-8 with commentary over the last week or so.

Why no series 6 you ask? Because for some reason I don't have it, never have had it:shock:

Getting it payday:-D

11. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I only 'watched' it for the first time very recently, about 2 months ago :shock:. Thought it was about time seeing as it comes up on here every now and again :lol:

12. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Would they know that, though?

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've watched Identity Within one time only. It's difficult to say, but my feeling was that it would have been one of series 7's best episodes had it been filmed.

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Why wouldn't they? Kryten knew where and when in the ancient world they'd find Lemons I don't think it's a colossal stretch to suggest that he should know that there are acidic fruit and vegetables native to the British Isles and in his unofficial role of Science officer he should know the really rather basic chemistry of the battery they're trying to make. If I know that with a gap of nearly 20 years between GCSE Science and now, I would expect Kryten to be able to manage something that simple.

15. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Just a thought: isn't Kryten powered electrically...... :P

Maybe he's 300V and they don't have a transformer :lol:

16. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

As is Rimmer... ;-)

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I guess these strange gaps in Kryten's knowledge could be put down to the memory purge he undertook in Series 7.

He figured at the time that retaining the extensive knowledge of acidic fruit that could be substituted for potatoes in an ancient battery was of no useful use. Knowing that Lemons would do, would suffice.

One thing I'm curious about is the basis for bags not having been invented back then. Did Doug Naylor just make that up for a silly laugh? Surely there's no truth to it. I understand Roman legionaries had packs although I'm sure they were truly bags or just sheets tied around a parcel.

Mind you, I the Inc as (or was it the Mayans or Aztecs? Possibly lying the all) were pretty advanced in their way yet the wheel somehow passed them by.

18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

...and yet knowing the historic disposition of lemons and potatoes in the ancient world was knowledge deemed important enough to keep? Rather than knowing that he could make a crude battery from any acidic fruit or vegetable which could power a torch or radio in an emergency or even potentially be used to start a fire if the crew found themselves crashed, stranded or otherwise needing heat, electricity or light? Seriously? That does seem clutching at straws for a explanation somewhat, especially considering that would probably barely take a handful of kilobytes to store potentially life saving information.

It's a mistake and a plot-hole.

19. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Same here. As I think I've said, it's just one of a number of plot-holes and errors in Lemons.

It's been a little while since I watched it, but off the top of my head:

The Battery issue,
    Romans soldiers in ancient India?
    Speaking modern English anywhere in the Ancient world.
    Galvanised iron nails (They'd have had to wait around 1600 years for that...)
    Edit; Bags
    That the son of a middle eastern chicken thief could read and write at all is incredible, that he could read and understand a modern English historical textbook even more so, but given that why did he not write the note Kryten read in English too?

The problem for me is that at least three of those are really pretty vital to how the episode plays out. As I've also said, I thought the humour in Lemons was pretty good really, but these seriously undermine the story of the episode for me.

The point with Kryten though is that with Lister's guidance he's broken his programming, which is why for example he's able to use a gun against Rimmer's Self Loathing in Terrorform and generally perform duties far beyond his role as a sanitation mechanoid. I'd also imagine that if the Kryten series was supposed to do double-duty as a private tutor, secondary school level science would figure as well.

Same here. This isn't one of those though. ;-)

According to Wikipedia (So season as required:-(

So, yeah, it does seem Doug just made it up. Edit; I'll add that to the list. :lol:

20. Hesperus

Hesperus Third Technician

I must admit Lemons isn't my favourite episode either. I like it, but I prefer the episodes that feel more confined.

My last episode was DNA, I'm in the middle of a Dwarfathon. I was meant to be watching only Camille last night but I enjoyed it so much I had to keep watching!

I'd forgotten how good Series IV is to be honest, some absolutely classic moments.