Laughter Track Poll

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Jun 27, 2016.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Doesn't look like the forum has poll-making capabilities so the results may be a tad difficult to ascertain, but how do you all feel about the laughter track for RD? Would you rather episodes were filmed with or without an audience?

Personally I'd vote for without. I can watch episodes and not even notice the audience laughter, but whenever I do notice it (for whatever reason) I can't NOT hear it for the rest of the episode.

When this happens I find it acts as an immersion-killer, constantly reminding me I'm only watching a show.

2. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

I think the laughter track feels right for Red Dwarf, at its best it studio sitcom with a good mix of location filming, personally I'm in favour.

3. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Depends what kind of a show they're going for. I think if it's the series VII comedy drama style then no laugh track is probably preferable, but in full sit-com mode it would feel a bit flat and empty without the laughter. In later series the audience seems to bring out a broader, more OTT side to the cast's performances which is not always welcome, but clearly - as Back to Earth shows - without an audience they can still do moments of subtlety and poignancy.

On balance though I would say 'yes' to an audience. The show I fell in love with had an audience and now I've been part of the audience myself - I'm so happy I had the opportunity to do that!

4. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I think the show constantly thrives on the energy of being filmed in front of a live audience. The cast perform better, and just the presence of an audience can elevate certain moments (most recently, for example, the "moose" bit in Trojan).

5. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

2 minds with this tbh, i loved the series 7 exteneded eps with no laughing, and also think it worked really well on back to earth.

6. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Not sure about this. I think it depends on the tone they're going for. I think some of the acting in BtE is the best I've seen in the series.

7. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

I oddly quite like it,it annoys me on other shows but not red dwarf for some reason:-D

8. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I always like laughter on comedy, so long as it's not overdone. But for Red Dwarf, it just needs it. I will say that BtE was good(ish). It wouldn't have benefited from a laughter track, but instead better jokes.

But I just imagine Red Dwarf, as a whole, being really awkward to watch without the laughter track. I did watch Tikka To Ride once without it, and it was just... well, flat (and I like Tikka To Ride). I can't imagine watching something like the boxer shorts from Polymorph without it.

It just gives it the right atmosphere and somehow makes it funnier. I know it shouldn't, as we're paying attention to the show, but I guess it adds to the "this is a comedy, you're the audience, laugh at our jokes" atmosphere.

9. FeeBeeBells

FeeBeeBells Deck Sergeant

Same for me. Like it for Red Dwarf but annoys me for other shows.

10. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Live audience every time, at least for RD.

That said, I remember loving M*A*S*H on BBC2 back in the day, and they ran it without the laughter track. I didn't realise it had canned laughter until I saw it once with the track on and it just wasn't the same for me. It lost some of its poignancy and, to my mind, cheapened it somewhat.

11. Callisto252

Oh I didn't know there was a version with canned laughter, that would definitely ruin it.

The programme where I really noticed the laughter track was I'm Alan Partridge series 2. When it first aired, the laughter just seemed wrong and I was certain that the first series didn't have any! Of course, it did, but for whatever reason the laughter was less intrusive in that series - maybe because it was funnier so the laughing seemed more deserved, but maybe also because by series 2 tastes in comedy had changed and we were used to watching non-laugh track shows like The Office. But even that's old now, and I think the traditional audience sitcom has had a bit of a revival since.

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

13. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

14. Callisto252

It had its moments, and that was definitely one of them :-D

Also: 'DAN!!!'

15. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

A lady of impeccable tastes :-D

I counted once. I think there's 14 :-D

16. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Having canned laughter is like laughing at your own jokes.

17. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Ah, but there's canned laughter, then there's live audience laughter. I'm not keen on either, but canned is a definite no-no that should be reserved for crappy US sitcoms.