Least Favorite Episode of each Series

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Tex_Rimmer, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Tex_Rimmer

Tex_Rimmer First Technician

An adjunct to the "Least Favorite Episode" question. What is your least favorite episode from each series, and you have to pick at least one? I find that this question is hard to answer with the early seasons, as you invariably have to pick a good episode as the (relative) worst, but gets easier the farther you go.

Series 1
    Either Waiting for God, or Confidence and Paranoia. Probably Waiting for God. Both episodes have some really good bits, but really, I wouldn't even consider any of the other four as worst of the season.

Series 2
    A toughie. Maybe I'd pick Kryten as the least good. It was a good episode, but what other candidates are there?

Series 3
    Still tough. Maybe Polymorph. Maybe The Last Day. The other four just seem too good to even consider as worst of season.

Series 4
    Camille. I love the lying scene, but the other episodes are just better. A lot of people might pick Meltdown, but I just liked the absurdity of it. DNA might get a few votes just for its over-reliance on scatological humor.

Series 5
    Back to Reality... Just kidding. Actually, I'd probably pick have to pick Demons and Angels as worst of season. If not that, then what? Terror Form, maybe?

Series 6
    Emohawk or Rimmerworld. I have to pick just one, so I'll say... oh... I'm not sure... Oh, smeg it, I'll pick Rimmerworld. Another episode that exists just to tell us what a smeghead Rimmer is seems like overkill after Justice (and Terror Form). And bits of it don't quite make sense. Why does the Cat wax ecstatic even after it's explained to him that it's only from Rimmer's point of view, not his, that he'll be away for 500 years? And how come the Rimmer society isn't loyal to Rimmer because they're a bunch of backstabbers, but they are loyal to his clone? A society of backstabbers should really have no order at all. I did love the escape scene, though. ("Or, we could just use the paddle.")

Series 7
    Ouroboros

Series 8
    Pete

2. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

What an evil question to ask of someone. Oh well, here goes:

Series 1 - Waiting for God
    Series 2 - Kryten (that was a nasty one to select)
    Series 3 - Bodyswap (another nasty one to select as I love all of seires 3!)
    Series 4 - Justice
    Series 5 - Terrorform
    Series 6 - Out of Time
    Series 7 - Nanarchy (no surprises there, what with it being my least favourite over all!)
    Series 8 - Only the Good... (generally a very unsatisfying episode, especially the end)

Like you said, it's very difficult trying to select episodes from some series (2-5 in general and 2/3 in particular), but there you have it.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm not quite sure we've had this discussion before despite its similarities to others.

1. Confidence and Paranoia
    2. Kryten - my all-time least favourite episode.
    3. Bodyswap
    4. Dimension Jump - something of a fans' favourite episode that I never really cared for, especially the opening scene.
    5. The Inquisitor - really, really difficult to pick one from what is a near perfect series.
    6. Rimmerwold - but same problem as above.
    7. Stoke Me a Clipper
    8. Cassandra - often seems to be most fans' favourite from this series, but I've never been fond of it.

4. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Mine are:

1- Waiting for God
    2- Stasis Leak
    3- The Last Day
    4- Meltdown
    5- Back to Reality (Seriously. Don't shoot me)
    6- Out of Time
    7- Duct Soup
    8- Krytie TV
    BTE - Part 1

I find it hard to pick one from series v. I really think that it is the one series not to have a weak episode in it. All I could do was pick the episode that made me laugh least: and that was BTR.
    I've never been fond of Krytie TV. It worked up to a brilliant punchline; but it all just seemed very coarse and not quite, dare I say, clever enough for Red Dwarf

I cannot understand Bluey's choice. Cassandra is the one episode that feels like a traditional Red Dwarf Episode. It could easilt have been part of any other series (with some Kochanski substitution)

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That's what everyone says, but I'm just not fond of the episode. Maybe I'll give it another watch sometime. I did actually like this line (though it needs Barrie's delivery to be properly appreciated) after Rimmer had been told to act more like a man:

This seemed very much like a Rimmer line from the earlier series.

6. Tex_Rimmer

Season 3 is tough for me as there are 4 episodes that I could legitimately see as maybe being Best of Season, including Bodyswap. They just did a really good job impersonating each other, and bodyswapping has been used so often in Sci-Fi that Red Dwarf really should leave its own mark on the idea. Actually, I didn't pick just one on that season. I guess I'd have to go with The Last Day, just because Polymorph is such a good sendup on the horror movie genre. The Last Day is kind of a muted finale to the year and doesn't seem like it should be the last episode. I might have put Polymorph as the season finale, since it has the unresolved ending.

Justice does deserve a few nega-points just for the bad continuity. Not only the crew being enlarged from 169 to thousands, but weren't we told all along that Rimmer was responsible for the accident? Kryten's whole defense is that they'd never give Rimmer any really important responsibility. But we saw the Captain chewing him out for it in Me Squared. Is Kryten trying to BS the Justice Computers into thinking that Rimmer wasn't responsible even though he was? If so, I got the feeling they were trying to BS the audience too. I couldn't quite tell whether Kryten was BSing the Justice computer, the writers were BSing us, or they had changed their backstory again without telling us.

The screwy way the Justice Zone works is pretty silly too. It just assume that any offensive move is automatically unjust even if the person is fighting in self defense. Then, after knocking down that straw man, they conclude that true justice isn't really possible. It was a funny episode, though. Maybe the best of the three "Rimmer is a Smeghead" episodes (counting Justice, Terror Form, and Rimmerworld.)

Terror Form, yeah, I can see that as maybe being worst of season. I did like it, though. The resolution with the whole "group hug" business reminded me a lot of the Star Trek episode Day of the Dove, where they get all palsy-walsy with the Klingons to drive away the negative emotion monster.

Demons and Angels still ranks lower than Terror Form for me, though. That their Higher Selves should be poetry spouting monks was funny, but... I dunno, seemed too generic. I'd rather have seen individually what each of their higher selves would be like (but maybe that wouldn't have been funny, or would have been too hard to write well). The idea that being Good means being too stupid to recognize or respond to an attack seems cliched. The kind of thing that Red Dwarf usually laughs at rather than partakes in.

I had a hard time figuring out the motivations of the Lows. They want one of the other two Red Dwarves because nothing works on theirs (but how do they really know, if they've been there less than an hour?). Their spinal implants DO work, at least, and they sure seem to know their way around for people who just came into existence a few minutes ago. I'm not big on torture scenes, and why are they so antagonistic to Medium Lister anyway? And how do they know so much about him? I spent a lot of this episode trying to suss the plot. More so than in any other Season 5 episode.

Out of Time I might consider as a possible candidate for Best of Season for 6. It's a lot more limited in scope than some of the others, but I liked the battle against themselves angle better because these weren't doppelgangers or parallel versions, it was really them. The ending was one of the great cliffhangers (despite the "To Be Continued", which spoiled it a bit).

I could see picking Nanarchy. I liked the return of Holly and Red Dwarf, but the actual episode itself is quite unremarkable, and the nanobots are a kind of disappointing resolution to the "Who Stole Red Dwarf?" story arc. The fact that the ship had not been stolen, but actually destroyed didn't please me too much either. Kryten's nanobots being sentient and able to repair humans as easily as circuitry was goofy. Why didn't they mention that before? Like when the Cat broke his leg? It opens too big a can of worms.

And yeah, I could see picking Only the Good. The resolution is very unsatisfying. We just got Red Dwarf back and they're destroying it again? And they blew it up in Demons and Angels too. As Maxwell Smart said "Killing me is getting to be a bad habit with you." And then to do a cliffhanger and leave it unresolved for 9 years (and even then just ignore it rather than resolve it?). The alternate ending was much better, especially if it was going to be 9 years until the next episode. I picked Pete even though some of the set pieces were pretty good, just because it relied too much on CGI (a growing trend) rather than character interaction, and featured yet another game-changing magic device that ends up changing nothing.

7. DocHilda

DocHilda Third Technician

Really really tough! Series III, IV and V are impossible to pick as I like all the episodes. But here goes anyway.........

Series I - Waiting For God.
    Series II - Better Than Life. on balance the book did it better.
    Series III - Bodyswap. they do a great job though (top awards personally go to Farscape's bodyswap episode as the best ever!)
    Series IV - Camille (seen this episode of series IV the least though)
    Series V - Demons and Angels (just for eating spiders).
    Series VI - Rimmerworld
    Series VII - Epideme. Without a doubt my least favourite of all time because I can't watch repeatedly cutting Listers arm off.
    Series VIII - I've watched this the least so can't truly comment, but Only The Good had such a bad ending.

8. Tex_Rimmer

I will say this for Only the Good.... I thought it did a much better job creating alternate versions of the regulars than Demons and Angels did. Hitting on the nun wasn't funny, though.

Ditto on the eating spiders bit.

One other thing on Bodyswap. I love the episode, but the whole "We don't have a bomb." joke seems a lot more like the kind of thing that Norm Lovett's Holly might have done to them than Hatty Hayridge. It seems a bit out of character for Hatty to let them try an unproven, possibly lethal procedure on Lister just for a laugh. She's a kinder, gentler Holly.

For Only the Good, I wish they'd some day put out a DVD set of "alternate" episodes, maybe using deleted scenes cut in as part of the story. The two I'd wish for most would be a complete version of Only the Good with the alternate ending, and a copy of Out of Time with the "To Be Continued" thing removed.

When Out of Time first aired here, it was on PBS during a Beg-a-Thon. They had volunteers on the phones taking donations, and watching the shows for the first time. After the end of Out of Time, they cut to the telethon and all the volunteers were just staring at the screens, open-mouthed, too shocked to even answer the phones. That stupid "To Be Continued" takes so much of the edge off it. How I'd love to remove that.

9. DocHilda

DocHilda Third Technician

Everytime I see it I expect the cutting room floor Margueritas ending (because I've seen the Smeg Ups so often). I really, really wished they'd used that instead.

10. SmegOnYourFace

SmegOnYourFace Third Technician

Series 1: Waiting For God (Really never liked this one - really stood out as a bit of a stinker in a terrific opening series)
    Series 2: Kryten (tricky one...but when you have the absolutely phenomenal and probably my favouritest episode EVER "Thanks For The Memory" in this series...it wasn't too difficult!)
    Series 3: Backwards - Not that it is a bad episode (far from it) I've just seen it waaaay too many times
    Series 4: Camille - The second best series ever but this was the least good episode in my opinion
    Series 5: DOES NOT HAVE A WEAK EPISODE! (Best series ever!!! Can't physically bring myself to pick one)
    Series 6: Psirens - I actually find this episode quite boring and a very formulaic Red Dwarf
    Series 7: Duct Soup - Boooooring!
    Series 8: Pete(both parts) - Probably the worst ever Red Dwarf episodes. Totally unfunny and doesn't develop into anything interesting.

That was quite tricky actually!! :roll:

11. TriggerHappyCathal

TriggerHappyCathal Third Technician

What a tough question as well as the fact that l have to pick one from series 6........

SERIES I

Waiting for God (just felt boring)

SERIES II

Kryten (actually, l liked this episode but all the episodes were brilliant)

SERIES III

Marooned ( it was very disturbing to see Lister eat a spoonful of dog food)

SERIES IV

Meltdown (l was never fond of that episode)

SERIES V

Terrorform (was very disturbing fullstop)

SERIES VI

l can't pick one from series VI it was a flawless series

SERIES VII

DuctSoup (need l explain?)

SERIES VIII

Only the Good....(it had a very rubbish ending)

l'am really surprised to see some people not so fond of RimmerWorld as it my most favourite Red Dwarf episode ever.What is wrong with it?

12. Tex_Rimmer

l'am really surprised to see some people not so fond of RimmerWorld as it my most favourite Red Dwarf episode ever.What is wrong with it?

It's not bad, it's just that after Justice and Terror Form, it seems a bit formula to have another episode that exists just to tell us what a smeghead Rimmer is. Especially when they have the odd episode like Holoship that suggests that he might not be quite as big a smeghead as he looks.

I didn't understand why the original Rimmer was put in jail but everyone seemed loyal to the guy that usurped him. I also had a hard time buying the idea that this whole society of treacherous backstabbing Judases managed to build that palace, or forge the swords and the armour. The idea of a hologram having health issues was pretty forced, too. It's not bad, I just liked the others better. It wouldn't make my Top Ten List.

Somebody said Psirens was boring and formula, but I liked that one just because it seemed like they were getting back to the original characters. In Season 5, as good as it was, it seemed like the characters were losing their individuality. Lister was no longer much of a slob, the Cat was no longer really a cat, just a guy who wore sharp suits. In Psirens, Lister's personal bad habits are back in force, and the Cat's ability to smell ships in space, while silly, at least reinforced the idea that this guy is a Cat, and not a human. Bringing Kochanski, Jim and Bexley back was a nice bit of continuity, and I thought the scene of trying to identify the real Lister was carried off very well. ("That's the way you BELIEVE you can play, sir. That's why, when the Psiren read your mind, it shared your delusion that you are not a ten-thumbed, talentless, tone-deaf, noise polluter").

13. Smegbot

Smegbot Second Technician

This is hard but here it goes,

Series 1 - Waiting for God
    Series 2 - none
    Series 3 - none
    Series 4 - none
    Series 5 - none
    Series 6 - none
    Series 7 - Duct soup
    Series 8 - the whole thing

all the other eps i can watch over and over again without getting even slightly bored. "or even slightly currenty'

14. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Series 1: Waiting For God
    Series 2: Parallel Universe
    Series 3: Backwards
    Series 4: Meltdown
    Series 5: Demons and Angels
    Series 6: Out of Time
    Series 7: Tikka To Ride/ Beyond a Joke/ Ouroboros (too much badness here haha)
    Series 8: Pete (both parts)

15. connell

connell First Technician

Well,

Red Dwarf I - Balance of Power Red Dwarf could have been exactly the same without it, despite another appearance from the stunning Clare Grogan.

Red Dwarf II - Kryten Series II is my favourite series, so it's hard to choose, im not saying i dont like kryten, but it's my least favourite.

Red Dwarf III - The Last Day Love series III, but even though the last da was good, i dont like it enough to save it from being my least favourite.

Red Dwarf IV - Camille Didn't Like it, alough it had some great lines.

Red Dwarf V - The Inquisitor One Made up word. Urrrrrgghhhh.

Red Dwarf VI - Terrorform

Red Dwarf VII - Epideme

Red Dwarf VIII - Back In the Red Part III

16. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Terrorform is in series 5. Do you mean Rimmerworld?

17. Tex_Rimmer

Balance of Power Red Dwarf could have been exactly the same without it, despite another appearance from the stunning Clare Grogan.

I don't understand this reasoning. Except for The End, couldn't you say the same thing about almost every episode? Wouldn't the series be exactly the same without [insert one of your favorites here]?

18. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Tex, I have to ask: have you not figured out how to quote posts? I ask because the 'bold' thing is kinda confusing to read...

19. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Back to Reality, Legion, Epideme/Nanarchy/Back in the Red 1 are pretty important for understanding some major plot points.

20. Tex_Rimmer

I had not, but depending on how this looks, I may have discovered it now.

That's true. All right, well there's another question right there. What episodes are "necessary" to understanding the show or concepts found in other episodes of the show?

The End: Introduces the concept of Cat People, holograms, Kochanski, 3 million years in space, what happened to the crew, and scads of others.
    Future Echoes: Needed to fully explain Jim/Bexley references in other episodes, especially Parallel Universe.

Kryten: Explains the origin of all Kryten and Nova 5 references in other episodes. Also explains why Rimmer has a "Bonehead" jacket in Dimension Jump.

Backwards: Scrolling Intro resolves most dangling Season 2 plot threads, as well as why Holly is now a woman.
    Polymorph: Introduces the Polymorph, making Polymorph II easier to understand. Also explains what the smeg Lister is talking about in DNA when he meets the same rubber monster from this episode and asks how the smeg the same smeg can happen to the same guy twice.
    The Last Day: Introduces Silicon Heaven.

Camille: Introduces the "Smee-Hee" joke.
    Dimension Jump: Introduces Ace.
    Meltdown: Introduces the "Light Bee", sort of explains where the Triplicator came from.

Quarantine: Introduces the Luck and Sexual Magnetism Viruses.
    Back to Reality: Introduces Duane Dibbley, and the ocean moon where they lost Red Dwarf.

Psirens: Sets up the "Who Stole Red Dwarf?" arc and explains why they're tooling around in Starbug for the whole of Season 6.
    Legion: Introduces the Hard Light Hologram concept.
    Out of Time: Really needed to fully understand Tikka to Ride.

Stoke Me a Clipper: Explains why Rimmer is absent for most of Series 7.
    Ouroboros: Explains where Kochanski came from (though not why she doesn't look like Clare Grogan).
    Nanarchy: Resolves the "Who Stole Red Dwarf?" arc

Back in the Red 1: Explains why the crew is back in Series 8

There are some things that seem to pop out of nowhere. Lister's Curry Addiction isn't mentioned much early on, beyond his never having had a prawn vindaloo, then suddenly they talk about it all the time.

In this vein, there might be some "Negative" episodes, ones which actually make it harder to understand future ones. Like:

Balance of Power: Totally dependent on the idea that Lister and Kochanski never dated, an idea which was retconned away later.

Stasis Leak: Establishes the idea that Lister and Kochanski marry in 5 years; also retconned away.

Both of these episodes contain things you need to forget to enjoy future ones, but I'd still rank them both very high.