Least Favorite Episode of each Series

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Tex_Rimmer, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Excellent!

To quote a specific person, so their name appears, you can just click the 'Quote' option at the bottom right of any post on the forum. As an alternative to copy and paste, should you want it.

2. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Good call! The 'demon' dwarfers make me cringe with embarrassment. Lister's laugh sounds like a faulty chainsaw and Kryten's twitches and gravelly 'bad' voice just don't come off.

3. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

OK here goes:

1: Waiting for god
    2: Kryten (that was a difficult choice!)
    3: The Last Day (and that one)
    4: Meltdown (and that)
    5: Terrorform
    6: Out Of Time
    7: Duct Soup
    8: Only the good

They were all difficult choices as there is not actually an episode that I can say that I dont like, these are just my least favourite in those particular series!

4. Ronstar

Ronstar Third Technician

This is going to be tough, and I feel I should add the disclaimer that my least favourite of some series I consider to be better than my most favourite from another series. Hell, if I pick eight from series VII and VIII can I leave series I to VI alone? ;-)

Doing it properly, though (and to save me typing "I think" or "In my opinion" a lot, just consider this all as subjective)...

The End - It gets everything set up in an excellent fashion and contains some absolutely top notch dialogue... but it is basically an exercise in 30 minutes of exposition: Something you have to sit through until Red Dwarf starts properly. It's also one of the few episodes where the laughter track is distracting - there is some genuinely random giggling at them just walking down a corridor!

Parallel Universen - With an implausible excuse to get a song and dance routine in, as well as poorly written versions of the female versions of the characters, this one misses on almost all counts.

Backwards - I used to love this episode. For a while it was even my favourite. Then I hit puberty, and discovered that watching normal activities in reverse actually isn't all that funny or particularly creative. For precisely the opposite reason, I used to hate Marooned but now consider it series III's strongest episode.

Dimension Jump - Ace Rimmer annoys the hell out of me. Excellently portrayed, no question, but an irritating person all the same - oh yes. Series IV is a tough series for me all round, actually. Each episode contains so many hits hand in hand with so many misses that I struggle to pick one that I really love. I love the one with Talkie Toaster and "So what is it?" but I hate the one with the playing pool with planets... but oh wait, that's the same episode! This is why series IV is difficult for me.

The Inquisitor - For totally fatuous reasons this, but I never liked the rushed editing out of lines. Robert Llewellyn took so many takes to get his "nevertense" speech delivered just right, and then they cut it! I also never liked the contradictory versions of temporal physics theory used in the episode either.

Legion - It's the banquet scene that does it for me with this one. One joke stretched out for about 5 minutes. GET ON WITH IT! :-)

Duct Soup - No explanation necessary. The episode itself even tells us that it is pointless.

Pete (both episodes) - An example of having too much script for one episode, but not enough for two. Solution? Rewrite it down to one excellent episode, NOT pad it out to two boring episodes. If they'd cut out bird man, most of the basketball, and the repetitive 'being marched to the captain's office' scenes (particularly "See ya in ten minutes?!") we could possibly have been given one classic episode. Then again maybe not.

Back To Earth part one - Both slow AND rushed at the same time, and with poor build up to the cliffhanger, I much preferred this story once it 'got going' in parts two and three.

Ronnie

5. brautigan

brautigan Third Technician

1. Balance of Power
    2. Queeg (i think it's filler for the series and an early sign of lazy writing)
    3. Backwards (far too lauded and why? It doesn't make sense...not if you really think about it...hard..go on!)
    4. Camille (perhaps I've just seen it too often)
    5. Terraform/holoship
    6. Rimmerworld
    7. Tikka to ride
    8. Krytie TV

However can I add that these are my least favourite episodes ONLY and it doesnt mean I think they are god-awful, just episodes that don't warrant repeated viewings, especially in the case of Queeg ...

6. david1

david1 Third Technician

Alrite Doods,

Series 1 - Waiting for God
    you know it. its so boring.

Series 2 - Parallel Universe
    Lister having a baby? come on thats just disgusting

Series 3 - Bodyswap
    Just didnt like it as much as the others.

Series 4 - Meltdown or DNA
    meltdown was a weird one. DNA was a bit boring for me

Series 5 - Demons and Angels
    didnt like the negative ship crew (except rimmer)

Series 6 - Gunmen
    Had some great moments but was overplayed - it has to be the most broadcasted episode ever.
    hard to pick for series 6 - my favourite series

I aint even gonna waste my energy thinking or typing about the disgraces 7 and 8. RD alienated so many of its fans by creating this utter crud. I actually don't consider them to be part of red dwarf - thats the only way I can justify being a fan!

7. HelenW

HelenW First Technician

Series 1: Waiting For God
    Series 2: Ummmm...I'm going to have to say Kryten, but I still like that episode
    Series 3: Again, difficult, but let's say...The Last Day
    Series 4: DNA...I think, although I haven't watched that one in a while
    Series 5: Demons and Angels, I've just never been fond of that one
    Series 6: Errrr...tricky one, probably...Rimmerworld, but I'm still not sure really...
    Series 7: Beyond A Joke
    Series 8: Krytie TV

8. wannabe

wannabe First Technician

I'm re-watching the whole lot, so I'll definately post here when I'm done. I think I'll edit as I go along.
    Series 1 - Confidence & Paranoia a great idea but Confidence is annoying ( I actually think most of series 1 is great 'Waiting for God' was a close second).
    Series 2 - Kryton a love Kryton as he is now but the original was so bad looking. I think its the lips! Some great one liners though.
    Series 3 - The Last Day this was really hard to call as the whole series is brilliant. I still love this episode but in order its last, (no pun intended).
    Series 4 - Camille Another brilliant series and a really difficult choice and although some funny bits, this episode drags a little in places for me.
    Series 5 - Holoship I love this season so much, it was really hard to pick and episode, along with series 3 I could watch all of the episodes over and over again. Holoship (despite the lovely Mr Barrie being scantly clad) does drag a bit. I find some of the other characters on the holoship a bit much. Still the 'Lister to Red dwarf' scene is fabulous and of course 'geronimo' LOL.
    Series 6 - Psirens Again some funny parts but quite repetitive with jokes.
    Series 7 - Ouroboros just the wrong Kochanski :-( & it is quite a dull episode. Plus Lister making himself! A bit dodgy.
    Series 8 - Only the Good just a poor ending.
    Series 9(?) - Back to Earth part 1 very funny in places but I guess I'll have to wait to watch the entire BTE as I think it should be seen. Parts 2 & 3 are fabulous.

9. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Series 1

Like most of the first 6 series, this is unbelievably hard to choose!

I'd probably pick Confidence And Paranoia though. It's a good episode, and the "Stab-im" scene is classic, but overall, i think it's slightly waeker than the other episodes in the series. I'm also amazed at how many people have chosen Waiting For God as the worst. It's probably my favourite in the whole first series! :P

Series 2

Stasis Leak.

Definitely for me the weakest in the otherwise awesome second series. Both in terms of plot (very messy), and laughs. Parallel Universe has some really smeggy moments in it though!

Series 3

Unbelievably difficult choice to make here! My pick is Timeslides...I think lol Though there is some great lines in it, especially the Cat and "Junior Angler"! :-D

Overall though, i think this is my favourite series. When I can pick Timeslides as the worst episode, when it is such a great one, it just shows the strength of the 3rd series!

Series 4

Close between Camille and White Hole. Though both episodes have some amazing moments. I think Talkie Toaster just edges it in favour of White Hole. So Camille it is!

Series 5

Holoship.

A surprisingly easy decision this one! The rest of the series is very strong though. Although the spider eating scene almost makes me want to pick Demons And Angels! lol

Series 6

Psirens

Series 7

The first series where there are more "worst episode" candidates than best ones! (Despite beginning with 2 classic episodes) Duct Soup always seems to spring out at me when I think of weak episodes though, so I'm going with that one!

Series 8

It's been so long since I watched this series, I can't remember much about it at all! I think I'll watch it tonight and tomorrow, and post my least fave episode after Ive watched it again :P

10. biscuits2009

biscuits2009 Second Technician

There are no episodes of Red Dwarf I simply can't watch, but my least favourite are:

Series I - Balance of Power
    Series II - Parallel Universe
    Series III - Polymorph
    Series IV - Camille
    Series V - Holoship
    Series VI - Legion
    Series VII - Nanarchy
    Series VIII - Krytie TV

11. Tex_Rimmer

Tex_Rimmer First Technician

Well, tell us what you like about it. I love the Agatha Christie scene, and like the whole bit with the Quagaars, but don't find that to be enough to carry a whole episode, at least not against the kind of competition it faces in Season 1.

And what's the point of it? Lister talks about how he wants to meet the Cats and tell them it was all a mistake, but when he does, he says just the opposite. Why? Did he know that Noel Coleman would conveniently keel over at the end of the scene anyway?

I also just didn't buy the idea that the Cats would build a religion around Lister's laundry list. The idea is clearly inspired by the grocery list in A Canticle For Leibowitz, that the post-Holocaust monks save, but that was a little different considering that a) they didn't know what it meant, and b) Leibowitz was already an important figure to them anyway, as they knew he'd been a nuclear scientist and were interested in hanging onto and deciphering anything that came from him.

I guess the idea is that the same thing applies here, and that Lister was already important to them by virtue of his having saved Frankenstein, but how did anybody know about that?? Frankenstein obviously didn't write it down herself.

I also didn't buy that a piece of paper would survive millions of years, but I could look past that if the rest of it made sense (maybe he wrote it on a styrofoam cup, and we all know that stuff lasts forever).

Confidence and Paranoia would have been my next choice, but I just liked it a bit better than Waiting for God. It must have been The Indling Song. I just can't get it out of my head.

12. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Well, obviously the bits you've just mentioned are part of it. The "Quagaars" scene is one of my all time faves, no matter how many times I see it, Rimmer's ranting just cracks me up every time! "This is science, laddy!" lol

I've always thought Lister knew the old cat was going to die, and that's why he tells him he'll have all this reward when he dies. I think there was a strong overtone there of religion being a device which was invented, to help people cope with the fact that they're going to die. Lister's reaction after the old cat dies does suggest he just said those things to make him feel better about the fact he was about to die. I'd never actually thought that it might clash with the earlier scenes were Lister says he will apologise to the cats. So I think it works.

There probably is a couple of things there which you have to suspend your disbelief in order to fully buy it! lol But compared to some episodes, it's easy to make sense of. I think there were other moments in the series' (The whole set of series, not just the first) which stretched the realms of believability far more than the things in Waiting For God. There's no doubting it is ridiculous, but it's Red Dwarf for smeg's sake! :P

And again, there is a sense there of religion seemingly based on very flimsy, or non- logic. Also, the using of wars being fought because of ridiculous things in the name of religion, while funny, is also scarily true in reality. You could say the whole premise of the episode is to knock conventional, organised religion. Something which it does in fine style, and being Red Dwarf, manages to be very funny while it is doing so. 8)

As I stated, I really like Confidence And Paranoia. But like series 3, series 1 is very strong. Picking a worst episode there is more like having to choose the episode which is slightly less great than the others, rather than picking a weak episode. lol

13. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

I still like these episodes but they are my least favourite:

Series I - Waiting for God
    Series II - Parallel Universe
    Series III - The Last Day
    Series IV - DNA
    Series V - Back To Reality
    Series VI - Psirens
    Series VII - Beyond A Joke
    Series VIII - Krytie TV

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

The Cat in question was an old Cat priest who was about to die, thinking that his life and devotion had been a complete waste. Lister's playing into his delusion was an act of kindness to a dying old man.

I don't know about the Cantile of Leibowitz. I do know the relgion wasn't based soley on the laundry list (which one faction interpreted as directions to Fuchal.) It was basically a twisting of stuff Frankenstein witnessed. I.e. Lister told her about Fiji, and the burger store etc. It seems she understood more than he realised and passed it on to her kittens. Over the years, the story became myth, words changed, etc, and Lister becomes the god Cloister, and Fiji, becomes Fuchal, and presto, they've got a new religion.

Sure it's a stretch, but that's part of the comedy world of Red Dwarf, to take certain science-fiction ideas, stretch it to a ridiculous extreme (Humanoids evolving from cats, in just 3 million years, a ship mananging to function for all that time as examples.) and have fun with it.

Heh. Maybe Franky could read as well as understand human speech, and she memorized it. Yeah, I don't buy it either, but I thought it was funny, being part of her bedding and all.

Overall, I liked the episode, and I agree it had interesting things to say about religion. I didn't interpret it as knocking Organized Religion though so much as extremists taking small things and blowing it out of proportion resulting in 'holy' wars, etc.

15. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

I: confidence and paranoia : I find this a tiresome episode, it builds up to ME2 but continues on from lister wanting to bring back Krissy and Rimsey being defiant, okay but already done enough in balance of power thank you.

II: Parallel universe. This was a dificult decision, season (or series) II is one of the greatest. And despite a great preformance from the female Rimmer who is hilarious, i find this the episode the one i least want to come back to, kryten coming second, oh i keep alternating between Kryten and this by a gnat's wing series II is so damn devine!

III: Timeslides. I have to agree with the majority of people here, yet again series III is a near flawless series and although this is more of a fly's wing to Parallel and Kryten's Gnat's wing, it was still dificult.

IV: Camille. Oh as much as i don't want to say it, Camille is my least prefered, sadly i don't like it as much as the rest yet again another near-imposible decision; it's not that i didn't like the romantic element, i thought it was done well and the cassablanca references (not that i've seen the film, but ya know you just pick these things up in the collective consious of humankind) were humorous.

V: Terror-form. Oh deary me another popular choice. Good episode like the rest, but i just have very little to bring me back to this; and the sight of Chris Barrie oiled didn't turn a guy's head in my case atleast.

VI: Emohawk-Polymorph II. Although the "Change of plan...LEGGGITT!" is hilarious, this episode fails not so much by it's re-use of Characters, but the fact that it can't live up to the giddy hieghts of genius that Polymorph was.

VII: Duct soup. This was a dificult decision, as i dislike most episodes aside from Epideme which i think is great. And Chris Barries depature was the nail in the coffin in my opinion. First off, Kochanski, no; not funny sadly and although this episode was to introduce her properly, with unfunny and annoying results. The only line i like from Kochanski is the awnser to Kryten's question "Now Ma'am, what would you say to a glass of milk?" to which she replies "I'd say glass of milk get me out of here"

VIII: Pete I-II. I dislkike this episode, the constant Captain's office returns are all well and good, but the giant dinosaur and all of it, i just felt lacking; the fact that this got a second part makes 2 episodes of series VIII very annoying to watch which is a shame because although not very clever, the one-liners and story lines aren't bad.

16. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

Series I - Waiting for God
    Series II - Better Than Life
    Series III - Marooned
    Series IV - Meltdown
    Series V - Demons and Angels
    Series VI - Psirens
    Series VII - Duct Soup
    Series VIII - Pete Part 1&2

17. RedSamus

RedSamus Skutter

oh boy this is sad... i didt know a bad RD episode even existed.:shock: lolness

18. wannabe

wannabe First Technician

I don't know if people mean them to be bad, does least favourite = bad? :? . Just if you take the whole series and put them in order of outstandingly laugh out loud genius fantabulous - Good, which one is just Good? :-D

19. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

why do this to us... it's all awesome :shock:

but i suppose...

Series 1
    me2... never been much of a fan of this episode... just seemed a little poitnless to me. Still funny, but i'm having to pick the worst out of a masterpeice... not easy.

Series 2
    Would have to be Kryten, whilst i loved the introduction of kryten in series 3. I do not like the version of him that appears in this episode, and praise the lord that david ross was not available for series 3.

Series 3
    The Last Day... a rather slow and stationary episode. As always, it was still humourous, but in comparison it loses for me.

Series 4
    Camille, I don't dislike any of the episodes in series 4, but this is the weakest of the 6

Series 5
    jesus this is hard, its a temendous series, but i have to choose... Demons and angels. Of the six awesome eps, this is slightly lower in hilarity than the others

Series 6
    Emohawk II... never liked this episode, it needed more time with the polymorph 2. Why didnt they just use the 2 of 2 from the original ep?

Series 7
    Nanarchy... this is the episode which lead into VIII... in my opinion, the worst series of the lot

Series 8
    Cassandra... i don't know what it is, i just don't like this episode... only red dwarf episode i won't watch if it's on.

Back To earth
    No Preference, in my opinion, this works better as one long episode, and so i can't pick or choose

20. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I'm still waiting for an episode that explains how two chicken soup technicians, a life form who evolved from cats, a navigation officer and a robot toilet attendant know how to build a device that opens up a mirror universe!
    One of the all time laziest plot devices I've ever seen and an example of Doug at his scientific worst...oh wait, here comes the Grim Reaper!