Least Favorite Episode of each Series

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Tex_Rimmer, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Reddwarfftw

Reddwarfftw Third Technician

Series 1 - Balance Of Power. I just found it a little boring really.
    Series 2 - Thanks For The Memory. A very good series and a really tough choice to make. The only reason for this is that I just really preferred the others lol
    Series 3 - Timeslides. Same reason as many have said for this episode.
    Series 4 - Camille. This is probably the only episode of Red Dwarf that if its on, I won't watch it. I just really didn't like it.
    Series 5 - Holoship. Some funny moments especially the Lister to Red Dwarf thing lol. I just thought the other episodes were so much better.
    Series 6 - Out Of Time. I really find this one hard to choose because the series was flawless for me.

Some people are so harsh about S7 and 8, I loved them both, especially the episode most people HATED; Pete P1 AND 2, probably one of the funniest episodes of RD in my opinion.
    Series 7 - Duct Soup. It was just really boring
    Series 8 - Only the good for the ending probably.

2. Eternity

Eternity Third Technician

Hmm really tough decision, so for me it will be my east favourites rather than episodes I don't like.

Series I: Either Balance of Power or Waiting For God, nothing wrong with either its just that the other four are better!

II: I'd have to say Better Than Life - don't get me wrong its a good episode but after having read the fantastic book the episode just doesn't do it for me in comparison.

III: I absolutley love all of series 3 so a tough choice but I'd have to say Polymorph, a great episode that still makes me laugh but I seem to have seen it aot more than the other episodes for some reason.

IV: Camille - still enjoyable but I prefer the others and did find this a bit Kryten-centric (I know DNA was too but come on, you can't beat the double-polaroid!)

V: Demons and Anges simply because I find it a little 'dark' compared to the rest of RD.

VI: Psirens, no particular reason other than I like the rest of the series better.

VII: Haven't watched the whole series for a while now (not one that I own) so its tough and I actually quite like the episode that most people have named (Duct Soup)-not my favourite but I like it. I'll say Epideme instead.

VIII: As much as Only the Good annoyed me due to its cliffhanger ending, and I'm not a huge fan of Pete (either part) I have to say my least favourite is actually Krytie TV, running around and wrecking Ackerman's quarters and then trying to tidy it back up makes me cringe more than laugh!

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It actually is theoretically possible although so unlikely as to not make much difference. Bear in mind we get 50% of our DNA from each parent, it means that his DNA contribution to the embryo was just that 50% he didn't get from Kochanski. I.e. he is passing on what he only got from himself.... (confusing innit?)

Of course the possibility of actually doing that is so unlikely that it is still pretty much impossible, except via genetic engineering (i.e. where you actually control which parts are inherited.) Interesting idea concerning the gestation tube, but that wouldn't quite work either even if there were some artificial intelligence and nanotech (or some such thing) that could engineer such things. Why? Because the ovum and sperm only contain 50% of the parent's DNA (if I understand these things correctly.) The DNA contribution has happened before it arrived in the tube.

Heh. I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. It's meant to be a confusing science-fiction joke. Although the 'Lister family' thing could be interesting. I think the changes to the programme and dynamic of the show would irritate people even more than season 7 already did though. (Not to me, I mostly liked series 7.)

Technically, I guess they have commited incest since they had a sexual relationship before the accident on Dwarf. (Although they were ignorant at the time.) Ironically, the conception of baby Lister isn't incest though. He was created artificially, and presumably gestated in an artifical womb on Starbug somewhere. (I assume he's cooking away in the background during Duct Soup, and he was deposited on Earth between episodes, some time before Epideme and Nanarchy since they lead directly into each other.)

Of course the fact that Lister is still interested in Kochanski afterwards, still hopes for a relationship with her is a bit dodgy. They seem to just forget the whole mother-son thing after Ouroboros though.

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Of course there's the question of whether morally its anymore dubious than the idea of Lister having sex with and conceiving children through a parallel version of...erm...himself.

5. Tex_Rimmer

Tex_Rimmer First Technician

It's hard to get too upset about the incest when the situation is so nonsensical. And that self-important bit about keeping the human race from ever going extinct really sank the episode for me.

Besides, how do we know that Lister is really his own father anywa? The only "evidence" we ever saw was that "Ouroboros" was written on his box. That's not exactly a proof in the classical sense. I've seen stronger evidence than that for the existence of leprechauns. How do we know that "Ouroboros" wasn't written on his box for a more simple reason, like that it had once been used to store that same brand of batteries?

How about this for a scenario? Lister is NOT his own father. The baby he abandoned was his and Kochanski's baby, but not himself. As a result of his going back and putting "Bexley" (for lack of a better name) under his pool table, the people who abandoned Lister dumped him somewhere else instead. Maybe rather than siring himself he just changed his own history so that he had a different foster family. (Or maybe through an incredible coincidence, plus the usual disregard for continuity, he had the same foster parents). Maybe somebody else came in and found Bexley, leaving the pool table empty before the people who abandoned Lister got there. The amazing coincidence that two orphans were found under the same pool table in the same night was interesting at the time, but forgotten by the time Lister was old enough to understand it.

Maybe that'll be my working theory for the time being. Lister didn't commit incest and abandonment, only abandonment.

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Heh. That's true. Genetically they'd be brother and sister! Twins!

7. JimmyJames

JimmyJames Third Technician

Series 1 - The End (Every time I introduce someone to RD I have play this episode first so I've gotten kinda bored of it)
    Series 2 - Stasis Leak
    Series 3 - The Last Day
    Series 4 - Camille
    Series 5 - Terrorform
    Series 6 - Out Of Time (the whole Lister's brain in a jar bugged me)
    Series 7 - Duct Soup (this idea would have worked better on Red Dwarf not Starbug, but this whole season wasn't that great)
    Series 8 - Only The Good (hard choice as I don't have a favourite episode in Series 8, but I chose OTG because the script was a total mess)

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I liked series 7, but I agree that episode would be better set on Red Dwarf. Or just have it set in a space station somewhere (although they'd need to change the whole Kochanski squilookle pipes sequence for something else obviously.) I wasn't keen on the whole idea of increasing the size of Starbug. It seemed an excuse to show of that (grantedly awesome) set with the huge propellar in Tikka to Ride. Well, apart from this episode too.

9. roebeet

roebeet Third Technician

Strictly going on re-watch worthiness:

Series 1: Balance of Power
    Series 2: Parallel Universe
    Series 3: Body Swap
    Series 4: White Hole
    Series 5: Holoship
    Series 6: Rimmerworld
    Series 7: Ouroboros
    Series 8: Pete and Back in the Red (a tie)
    Series 9: Back to Earth: Part 1 (the other two hold up well on their own, since I know the plot already)

I'm not exactly sure why all these don't get repeat airplay - maybe because I know the plot already and the endings are not a surprise, or maybe multi-parters take too long to watch.

10. voo7hees

voo7hees Third Technician

season 1 - waiting for god
    season 2 - kryten
    season 3 - the last day
    season 4 - camille
    season 5 - the inquisitor
    season 6 - rimmerworld
    season 7 - duct soup
    season 8 - cassandra
    back to earth - part 2

11. RedDwarf09

RedDwarf09 Second Technician

Series 1 - Waiting for God
    Series 2 - Better Than Life ( Why everyone hates Kryten, I'll never know)
    Series 3 - Marooned (hard to choose, I

12. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Okay, I've just finished watching the whole of series VIII for the first time in a very long while! Just about all the episodes feature some dodgy acting, and some truly cringe inducing lines and moments. The only episode in this series I really enjoy is Back In The Red. All the others have either parts in the plot that make little or no sense, or really terrible low level comedy. Cassandra would probably be my least fave of the series if I was forced to choose, but overall its not really any worse overall than the other episods in the series. (bar Back In The Red) The only thing that really seals that episodes fate for me really, is the whole Rimmer trying to make love to Kochanski bit. Probably the embodiment of the totally OTT nature of the sexual gags that seem to infest series VIII! Lol

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Dear me, just shows the differences in taste! That's probably my favourite in series 8! I'm partially with you on Back in the Red though. It dragged too much in the end, but I liked the earlier part and some of of the ideas. (Really should have been a 2 parter I think.)

14. Angelic_Storm

Well, like I said, it was a close run thing! Heehe

Cassandra, like most of the other series VIII episodes has some really good moments. And I do like aspects of it, and think it largely works. However, some parts just make me want to cringe, and the acting at times, like parts of the script, seem overly forced, and not as organic as episodes in earlier series'. I can agree with you about Back In The Red, it is probably just a touch overlong. But overall, it is a great episode, and feels very organic, and not as forced as some other episodes in Series VIII. And the humor feels less forced also. Its the only episode that kinda feels like Old Dwarf. Only The Good has some baffling plot devices which almost made me pick that over Cassandra. It was hard picking a worst episode for this series, as all of them have flaws in them that would make them candidates! lol

15. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan Supply Officer

3,000,000 years into deep space. (otherwise, Dubli
    I suppose...
    1=Balance of Power
    2=Queeg
    3=Marooned
    4=DNA
    5=The Inquisitor
    6=Psirens
    7=Beyond a Joke
    8=Pete part 2.
    Not that they're bad, just not as good as the best.

16. Angelic_Storm

I could be wrong, but there are several aspects in the episode that hint at poking fun at organised religion. The most obvious one being Rimmer's line: "For my money Lister, anyone who reads meaning into any old gobbeldygook, deserves everything they get!" In the commentary for this episode, Craig Charles also seems to think this as he says "The irony of that.", in response to that line. Not just in this episode, in "The Last Day", Kryten says Human Heaven was "just made up to prevent you from all going nuts!" I guess it could also be argued that Silicon Heaven itself was also used as a device to try and make the idea of real organised religion being silly and ridiculous. Of course, it is open to interpretation, but I think there's no doubt that religion, or at least certain aspects of it were targeted in some of Red Dwarf's humor.

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Possibly, but bear in mind this is a man who believes in aliens behind the source of unexplained events. (Or if he doesn't believe, he at least makes a big thing out of it, a bit of escapism from his own miserable existence maybe.) Hence the irony in that his beliefs are just as far out as the Cats.

Again, it could be interpreted as a criticism against religion. On the other hand, I'd say the joke is mainly the irony of the fact that Kryten's has similar beliefs to those he knocks in humans.

18. Angelic_Storm

Hmm...like I said, I guess it is really all open to interpretation. (Aside from the religious wars thing, which was an obvious jibe.) In the scene when Rimmer says "God, certainly not! What a preposterous thought! I believe in aliens Lister!", Lister says "Yeah, right, fine, something sensible at last!" So maybe Craig Charles was meaning that irony, and not the irony of religious people believing in "any old gobbldeygook". Not knowing Craig's beliefs, its hard to tell what he meant by that comment, so I guess even that is open to interpretation. Certainly my first thoughts were that things in the episode were knocking religion. That could still be the case, but I could be wrong. Just the impression I got from the episode...

Again, that is possible. Though it is true a lot of people do think religion was invented because of man's natural fear of death, and the unknown. Therefore "To prevent you from all going nuts!" It is suppossition though, and I guess only the script writers really know if they were poking fun at religion or not. My impression is that they were, but again, I could be wrong. The writing on Red Dwarf was brilliant, and clever. Especially on the earlier series'!

19. Tex_Rimmer

Tex_Rimmer First Technician

I don't think the belief is "far out" necessarily (that might have been what the writers meant, but if so, it makes little sense that way). What's so far out about believing in aliens? When you're out in space? In a science fiction show? That's decidedly not-far-out, as far as I can see.

The criticism is not against the belief, but about the reaction to the belief. Believing in Aliens is fine, but Rimmer uses it as an excuse not to try to do things for himself (because he's waiting for aliens to come do them for him). Whether or not the Aliens exist is completely beside the point. Maybe they do. Maybe he'll meet them some day. But that's no reason to sit back idly and wait for them.

The same principle applies to religion. You say God exists. Fine, no problem. None at all. But if you get to the point of saying something like "Why should we work for social justice, when God is going to step in and do it all eventually?", then we've got a problem.

The same principle also applies to dozens of other real life situations that have nothing to do with God or aliens. Do you spend money you don't have, figuring that you'll win the lottery soon and it won't matter? Different details, same situation.

20. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

My least favourite episode ever is Tikka to Ride, mainly because I love Kryten so much and seeing him being guiltless and rude was upsetting! Still a good ep though, the 8ft pizza and all that!