Least Favorite Episode of each Series

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Tex_Rimmer, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan Supply Officer

3,000,000 years into deep space. (otherwise, Dubli
    I actually thought he was quite funny!

2. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

But Kryten also became guiltless in Polymorph, when he had his guilt removed. "Very prim, very proper, almost austere!" :-) lol

3. Angelic_Storm

That is a point, but I think if the writers were poking fun at aspects of religion, it would have been done in a very subtle way. Making it too obvious would have brought a lot of controversy onto Red Dwarf. And Rob and Doug, talented writers that they are, could easily conceal that message if they so wanted. And that is perhaps what they did here. In the commentary for "The Last Day", when Kryten says "The iron shall lie down with the lamp." Craig Charles says "That's blasphemous, innit?", so certainly some of those gags could easily be interpreted as making fun of organised religion. Like I said, it is open to interpretation, only the writers know the truth behind it all.

But in "The Last Day", Rimmer states that "I didn't agree with my parent's religion Lister, but I wouldn't dream of knocking it." Whereas Lister describes Kryten's belief in Silicon Heaven as "a load of baloney!" So, they kind've switch roles there for a bit! lol

I did mention the scene with the Cat Priest in an earlier post, and I do think there are some subtle messages hidden in it. Lister knew the truth, but he seen it as more imporatant to make a dying old man happy, rather than "apologise", which is what he said earlier in the episode he would do if he could meet the cat people. Whether the writers inserted any of their own ideas/beliefs about religion into the show, is I guess open for debate. But it is certainly not out of the question, and quite plausible.

In any case, I feel that Waiting For God is a hugely underrated episode in the whole of Red Dwarf, and my fave of all the Series I episodes. Rimmer believing a rotting roast chicken to be "the perfectly preserved remains of a Quagaar warrior!", is just the piece de' resistance, and a very funny ending to a great episode. Definitely a fave of mine! :-)

4. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

Yeah, it was funny. "It's not chicken sir, it's that man we found." Still shiver at that scene!!

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

While I don't agree with all your interpretation, I agree with this:

I'm not sure it's my favourite episode in Series 1 (I think that's Future Echoes) but it's up there. I'm not sure why Rob Grant and Doug Naylor dislike it so much!

I liked the pictures of the arks in the Remastered version too. Interesting design!

6. Angelic_Storm

Well, thats all they are, interpretations. :-) Maybe Im right, maybe Im wrong, who knows? Just my own conclusions drawn from the writing.

Its also apparently one of the least liked episodes of the fans, and the results of the poll in this thread seem to confirm that. It has always been my fave episode in series I, though it has some serious competition, as most of the series is very strong, and I love most of the Series I episodes! I just love the whole backstory of the cats, and Lister being the Cat's "god". The Quagaars scenes are also classic!

Unfortunately, I have not seen the remastered versions, so I cant comment on that :-(

7. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan Supply Officer

3,000,000 years into deep space. (otherwise, Dubli
    lol, when I first saw that scene, it made me feel a bit sick, but still hilarious!