Least favourite episode?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Keir_FTGL_Shiels, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Well best episode is up there... so this one should be active too...

Duct Soup: An awful attempt at "Marooned II" with few redeeming qualities. Cottage Cheese and Pipework jokes done to death, rambling conversations building to poor jokes. The Importance of Being Earnest Monologue builds to nothing compared with the "Chirf Eunuch" or "Full member of the Golf Club" speeches from marooned. The rusty gate sequence leaves me cold every time. Very predictable.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Didn't we have this conversation two months ago on the old forum?

Anyway, mine are:

Kryten - I hate everything about the episode, especially David Ross' Kryten.
    Parallel Universe - I like Tongue Tied, but not much else.

3. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

Every Episode has it's merits. I don't hate any particular one, so I'm finding it hard to judge a least favourite.
    Blue? It started very slowly, you had the Lister/ Rimmer past exploits adventure. But Rimmer was back and the kiss! But just seemed contrived, more for shock value than anything to do with the story. Lister having to deal with his personal dreams. We get an insight to who Lister really is, but do we want to know? The Munch kin song is a favourite among many, but it's not really a Dwarf Episode for me.

4. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

5. dgoods

dgoods Third Technician

I've never been a big fan of waiting for god, It just didn't seem as funny as the rest of the episodes.

6. connell

connell First Technician

I really don't hate any of them, but the one I like the least would have to be... Terrorform or one of those not-very-thought-out series IV - V episodes

7. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

Season 7 episodes all seem to have cringy moments and great moments. I suppose it would have to be something from the last three seasons, maybe the Western episode since I don't like Westerns, or Polymorph II or more likely something from s8. The basketball one? Or maybe the last episode, since so much just made no sense, even for a SF comedy.

8. mrflibblesboss

mrflibblesboss Third Technician

out of time, and only the good! only because thats twice they've made me think there would be know more red dwarf! and that makes me sad! GREAT EPISODES THOUGH! JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHERS!!!

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'm interested, (and glad) to see other episodes chosen apart from series 7-8!

Don't get me wrong, I think series 8 is the weakest for me, but it's nice to see some variance.

Hard to decide... probably Back in the Red. Not all of it though. There's a lot of good stuff in the three episodes, but it just dragged a bit for me. I think Pete might be a contender, but the last time I watched it, it really wasn't all that bad. The Hollister speech got rather monotonous for me though, and the timewand 'repeating Hollister' gag seemed a bit poor (especially as they still managed to leave it behind, just for the 'he's behind me isn't he' gag next scene.)

10. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I think Cassandra is one of my least favourite just cos it tries to be clever but the logic completely fails in the end.

Not a huge fan of waiting for God or Ouroboros either.

11. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

12. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

I'm going to go with the majority and say that my least favourite episodes are definitely among the 7th and 8th series' my least favourite being "Beyond A Joke". I find the whole episode cringe-worthy from start to end. It just plays on the already WELL established aspects of each character and gives us nothing new, the jokes, the situations and the character behaviours have all been seen before.

13. brautigan

brautigan Third Technician

least fave, another toughy...I've got least fave moments like any of the Duane Dibley reprisals after his initial appearance in 'Back to Reality' it just makes me cringe in series 8 when the entire cast (apart from Rimmer) are wearing Dibleyesque wigs and teeth (i think it's one of those EASYDWARF moments when the writing gets lazy and so they play it safe) ...please God don't bring him back again in the new series!!!!!!! And I also hate the Cat/blue midget dance scene in series 8.
    I don't watch 'Rimmerworld' and 'Terrorform' as much as the others, though that may be subconscious...
    ...and again, berate me if you will, i don't think any of the series 8 episodes warrant repeated viewings, just once a year to refresh my memory of just where exactly it all went wrong. And yes I agree that the final episode of series 8 makes no sense whatsoever, it seems rushed and not thoroughly thought through...

14. biscuits2009

biscuits2009 Second Technician

...but I'm not overly fond of Krytie TV.

15. CrazyFanNumber8725

CrazyFanNumber8725 First Technician

tikka to ride.

the first 10 min were SOOOOOO bad I almost gave up on RD. i'd been having a competition with myself to see who can avoid washing dishes longest: me or me. I was winning! I thought I had 2 more seasons of RD to distract me, but when I got to Tikka to ride, i got up and washed my dishes.
    That's how much I hated the start of Tikka to Ride.

Glad I came back to RD tho.

16. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Yes, it was me that started it. Now where's the Blue Peter badges?

And my least favourite, as above, and for the same reasons. David Ross's Kryten makes me turn away from the screen it's that bad. And I don't hold with this nonsense that it was simply his interpretation of the character. Awful is awful... and his interpretation was, well... awful.

17. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

I think that's literally true. I've heard that the last episode from every season/series was a bit slapped-together and improvised almost at the last minute (so to speak). I'd have thought that doing only six or eight episodes per year would mean they were never in any rush, but no, apparently.

18. biscuits2009

biscuits2009 Second Technician

That's a bit harsh! Obviously I prefer Robert as Kryten, but David was the first actor to play him - his was the only interpretation at that time. If he'd been available for Series III and took up the role instead of Robert, would you be turning away from the TV during every episode?

19. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Actually, probably yes! I like David Ross' Kryten, but it worked for the purposes of the episode. For example, I don't think it could have essentially replaced Holly's role the way Robert Llewellyn's Kryten gradually did.

20. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Oh, and I can't stand Timeslides. I'm willing to suspend belief for the purposes of fiction most of the time, but mutated developing fluid allowing time travel overshadows the positive aspects of this episode for me.