Least favourite episode?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Keir_FTGL_Shiels, Mar 18, 2009.

1. biscuits2009

biscuits2009 Second Technician

If it wasn't for the developing fluid we wouldn't have been treated to an early Smeg and the Heads classic, that quite amazing statue, the sausage and onion gravy sandwich and the gorgeous Koo Stark! Positives! :-D

2. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

I know. And they are all good ideas. My anal inability to accept the premise of the developing fluid, and my uncharacteristic failure to enjoy the rest of the episode anyway, is depressing even for me.:-(

3. ch

ch Catering Officer

Pete, too long, and it doesn't feel like Dwarf to me.

PS I like Kryten, despite the different actor.

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Indeed. Interesting thing is, the last episode of series 6 turned out really good, despite rewrites right at the last minute! (The actors were even reading their lines on-screen.)

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I wasn't over keen on the mutated developing fluid either. That being said I loved the idea of photographs acting as portals into the past! It didn't make much scientific sense, and smacked more of magic than science, but it was a nice idea.

On considering the storyline of Back to Earth, it occurred to me the other day that Timeslides is the only Dwarf episode where you actually see Earth in the time from which the crew originate. (Actually that's not quite too. We saw a bit of it in Ouroboros, but we were stuck in one location there. It still counts though.) Not including broadcasts etc. Judging from what we see, their century isn't so different from our own. (They still have ground based cars and a road system for example.) Obviously budget plays a part there, but I rather like the idea. It's something I could imagine being true.

6. peterrimmer

peterrimmer Third Technician

Least favourite on a continuity basis: Tikka and Ouroboros as if Lister could have gone back to these times , he would've stayed there.

7. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

It's an interesting point. Lister has spent ages trying to get home and manages to use the time drive to er... get home. Granted in his birth year, but he could have very easily just gone home to just after he left on Red Dwarf... I'd never thought of this glaring continuity issue before!

8. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

I know. I must manage to put up a sort of barrier against that, because the rest of the episode is so good, and I don't want to deprive myself of that. I mean, look at my signature!

And yes, it goes beyond being just a glaring error, when our heroes get a magic go-anywhere-anywhen device, then actually use it to go back to Earth, and don't just stay there. I don't mean in Timeslides... at least they made a token effort to set up a reason that they couldn't just return then. I'm thinking of Tikka and Ouroborous.

9. Androidsandbeingasleep

Androidsandbeingasleep Third Technician

I think the worst ep is Duct Soup. It really needed Rimmer for it to work. There's too much Kochanski based material and I felt the character never worked in series 7 and 8. Acted well, but just not very funny. And I think the Kryten jealously stuff is taken too far.

10. Androidsandbeingasleep

Androidsandbeingasleep Third Technician

Actually now I think of it Kochanski was only used well once, in Cassandra.

11. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

From Series 7 and 8 I would pick Duct Soup as my least favourite. Really weak jokes and the plot goes nowhere. Ouroboros and Beyond a Joke run it close though.

From the first 6 series I would say Demons and Angels as I think it likes warmth and doesn't feel quite right somehow. Perhaps due to the production problems on the series.

12. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

"Have a fantastic period". Arguably the most hilarious moment of series VIII

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Quite a few people hated that. I thought it was very funny though.

14. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

That's probably true, I think she was a better fit in the 8th series on the whole as well. Cassandra though makes such little sense that it's almost embarassing to me. Red Dwarf always had plotholes but Cassandra has plot blackholes. None of the initial setup works out in the end and it's never explained very well. It's all a bit of a mess. Maybe they ignored that just to give Kochanski a better part.

15. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I saw very few plot holes in Cassandra. (Unless you include show-wide continuity where they change the time-line?) It follows the rules that the future cannot be changed, and it doesn't deviate from that. It might not unfold in the way the characters think, and Kryten firing the gun at each of them to prove the point of their 'safeness' was a bit silly but it was consistent.

Actually as I write that I can see a small inconsistency, Kill Crazy survived, contradicting Cassandra's prophesy. On the other hand Cassandra did lie to them in an effort to manipulate them.

16. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Well why did Cassandra try to make Rimmer and Kochanski sleep together when she knew you couldn't change the future? She could see it wasn't going to work as well. Maybe I got something wrong, I haven't watched it properly in a while

17. doggett

doggett Second Technician

Waiting For God

Just seems a bit limp...

18. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I was about to say, she did it to get back at Lister knowing he was destined to kill her, but actually you have a point as she should have seen it wouldn't work as you say...

hmmmm...

I'm not sure she sees everything though... I remember Rimmer saying that she couldn't see the future she just saw images (hence someone other than Rimmer dying of a heart attack wearing his jacket.)

Actually I think that she was angry and she just had to try something, even though she knew it was inevitable. Fact is the rules of prediction remained consistent, albeit her actions were based on emotion (or the equivalent these advanced AIs have) rather than the logic of the situation.

19. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

That's an 'fixed fate' versus 'alterable future' debate. Cassandra may be able to see the future, but she may not know if it can be changed. Call it a last, desperate attempt. She knows she's going to die if she stays silent - but can she change that by speaking out and tricking the Dwarfers.

The only hole I know of in Cassandra is the 'Why send the Silverberg into deep space?' one. Apparently you can destroy Cassandra by pouring a drink over her, so why dispatch an expensive computer and an equally expensive ship? But I'm happy to go along with that one for the sake of a good romp - especially when fixing the problem would only have required the change of a single line. ("Cassandra, aware that she was to be destroyed, piloted the vessel in which she was installed out into space to survive."

"All the Canaries will be dead in one hour" is fine, since for all the Canaries ON the Silverberg, this was true. Kill Crazy never left the diving bell, which is essentially 'part of Red Dwarf', and so wasn't included in the list of those to die.

20. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Duct Soup didn't make me laugh at all.