Least favourite episode?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Keir_FTGL_Shiels, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Snow Cloud

Snow Cloud Console Officer

ouroborus
    That left such a bad taste in my mouth, ruining plotlines, felt so un dwarfy, the first one without rimmer was a bad sign of things to come.

Although I hate duct soup as well, and most of beyond a joke.

wait I dont like Pete parts 1 and 2 either. I dislike them all equally. except beyond a joke, if we count ouroborus, duct soup, and pete as my joint disliked number one, beyond a joke is 2.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The only thing I disliked about Ouroboros was all that nonsense about Lister being his own father.

3. MyMindIsGoing

MyMindIsGoing First Technician

Location, Location is a TV show about houses.
    I know what you mean there. I had just done genetics at school when I first saw it. Lister cannot be his own father. What happened to Kochanski's genes? Even if absolutely none of them went towards making him, the new Lister would be a clone and not the same entity as old Lister.

But anyway, my personal least-favourite is Back In The Red, Part 3 - purely for the terribile Cat / Blue Midget dance sequence. Reasons; bad choreography (sorry, Charles), cheesey performance (sorry, Danny), and actually thinking a former cast member of Hollyoaks was in any way worthy of an appearence in Red Dwarf!! Although most is forgiven by the time Jeelo Edwards appears as the old Jamaican woman (RIP). A small blip in an otherwise average episode.

On another note; I'm shocked at the animosity towards David Ross's Kryten. I grew up with Bobby Llew in the role and was, admittedly, slightly anti Ross when I first saw the episode, but now I find him absolutely hilarious! And watching him almost make Chris Barrie corpse on several occasions throughout the episode is almost too funny to bear! "I, I, I, I.... think that's what I'm doing..." is IMHO one of the best line deliveries in the whole show.

4. MyMindIsGoing

Crap! I forgot to write my answer to the whole Cassandra conundrum!

I think if Cassandra can see exactly what is going to happen, and that she believes that nothing can be done to stop it, she will have seen her own attempt to punish Lister for causing her death. She may feel that this is a pointless act and knows that it won't work, but it's what she is definitely going to do, so there is no point in not bothering to do it because she knows that she absolutely is going to do it. After all, she has seen it.

My synapses have melted.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

A person gets 50% of each parents DNA right? He DOES get 50% of his mother (Kochanski's). And he gets 50% of his father genes, i.e. himself. The part he gets from himself only comes from him.

So theoretically it is genetically possible*, but it's so unlikely an outcome as to be almost the same thing.

I quite liked the gag though. It goes with Red Dwarf's history of taking a science fiction idea then taking it to a ridiculous extreme. (A humanoid evolved from cats in 3 million years? A moon terraformed from one's psyche? The list goes on.)

Considering his hankering after her it's a bit dodgy though. I guess you could get round it by saying their relationship is not that of mother and son, but even so, Jim and Bexley could have problems if they're not careful... ;-) I think maybe it's best to just see it as a joke for that story with no significance for the rest of the series. Except the end was actually quite touching, I thought. Like he is the last hope for humanity.

*Well, if time travel existed and it followed rules of predetermination.

6. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I'd argue she was used perfectly in Back to Earth.

Don't confuse running jokes with "recycled gags". A recycled gag would be the "batman suit" joke of series 7 and 8 recycled from Camille not the running jokes about Space Corp directives and Cat's escape plans that define series 6's style of humour.

As for unoriginal, I'd also question what was unorginal about Legion, Psirens, Gunmen or Out of Time. You can't justifiably acuse a sequel like Emohawk of being unorginal since sequels are meant to be a continuation of a previous story, so that only leaves Rimmerworld which, while bearing a slight similarity to Terrorform is hardly a carbon copy.

Because series 8's Mirror Universe was somehow a well thought out scientific concept? At least Timeslides made sense aside from its maguffin and was funny, unlike Only the Good.

Actually I think we do get an explanation with Lister's final monologue in ouroboros, he realises that everything has happened the way it has for a reason and that by him living on 3 million years in the future the human race can never be extinct. That's why he can never go back to his own time or any other time, because his 'plan' has now become a duty and ensuring the survival of the human species his quest.

7. MyMindIsGoing

You're absolutely right. I bow my head in shame! I totally forgot to factor in the fact that Lister would already be half Kochanski. Damn you all! Give me my ball! I'm going home!

8. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

There is no episode of Dwarf that I truly dislike. I love it all, really. Series VII probably gets the least viewings, however, and I'd say Duct Soup is probably the worst of the bunch. Not to say I hate it, just my least favourite. I'm actually among the fans who quite enjoyed Series VIII, too.

One that has always felt...odd...to me was DNA. It started so well, and it ended funny as well. But it just had this tremendous sag in the middle where Kryten became a human. His jokes fell flat(mechanoid peeping tom?) and he just seemed...well, creepy. As I said though--the beginning was brilliant. Aliens returning Glen Miller, the hidelously malformed skeleton falling through Rimmer, Lister being turned into a chicken. The only high point when Kryten was human was the double polaroid sketch, which was hilarious.

Bodyswap never quite sat well with me either. Just took Rimmer's insanity a bit too far, in my humble opinion. Again - still some great moments, however.

9. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

Bodyswap is probably my least favourite. It's still good of course, but Rimmer and Lister with each other's voices just creeped me out.

10. Darko

Darko Skutter

Meltdown for me but only because of the terrible production values. Most of the script is fine however the location shots are so cringe inducing that it's sometimes better to just listen to it with no picture.

11. CallMeAce

CallMeAce Third Technician

I may be one of few who think this, but i always thought Rimmerworld was always a bit of a weak storyline. I don't DISlike it as such, i just thought it wasn't really in keeping with the rest of the series. I may be way off the mark from the rest of you guys opinions, it's just personally one of my lesser favourites.
    Although in total, i have no 'least favourite' because i think every episode is good in it's own way.

12. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

Back in the Red part 2. First and only episode I didn't laugh at even once, couldn't even smile at or find any redeming feature and prayed nobody I knew was watching it :crying:

13. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I'm not particularly fond of pete (both parts) but its not the episode itself as such as it does have its funny moments. I just think spreading it over 2 parts did it no favours and it tends to go on abit especially Hollister's 'I love mint choc icecream' scene. And where do they get a cow from????

14. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Beyond a Joke, I don't know why as there are some funny parts in it. I've just never enjoyed it since the day it was broadcast.

15. ch

ch Catering Officer

Both parts of Pete, as it's more like a (not very good working) parody of Jurassic Park than Red Dwarf.

16. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I always felt that this was the exact thing they were going for...queue Lister backing slowly out of the room and the echoing laugh.

17. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

That's one of my favourites!!! I love the tank scene!!

18. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Meltdown, just stupid.

19. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Third Technician

The worst episode are the ones without Rimmer, the contrast between Rimmer and Lister is what makes Red Dwarf!
    I know they "needed" a female character in a way to work with the story for series 7 and 8 but Kochanski is too sensible to be a full time Dwarf character. The only thing shes ever said that has made me laugh was her reaction when she found out Rimmer doesn't get killed "oh, but Cassandra promised!"

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

What about the contrast between the fact she's actually competent and the others aren't so much? I thought that worked in a different way to the conflict between Lister and Rimmer (which granted is great!).