Least favourite episode?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Keir_FTGL_Shiels, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Magnaminous_G

Magnaminous_G Skutter

I didn’t like “Blue” or “Terrorform.” I personally didn’t feel that they were up to the standards set by the great writing team in the other shows. Like many have said, I prefer the writing-driven episodes of the first few series. I love the entire show, of course, but I’m not quite as into the later series’ plot-driven episodes.

I can’t bring myself to hate “Cassandra--” as many do--because it’s the episode that got me into Red Dwarf. I caught it on an obscure T.V. station while channel flipping during my senior year of college (U.S.). And the rest is history… So, can’t bring myself to hate that, eh?

I agree with many in not liking the new Kochanski character played by Chloë Annett. I did, however, like the original Kryten and the episodes “Waiting for God” and “Duct Soup.” :-D

2. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

Duct Soup or Pete 2 out of series 7 and 8. Out of the first 6 series then probably Better than Life, its a good idea but its hard to fit into half an hour. (I am comparing it to the book though, and the book is brilliant.)

Edit - Changed my mind for first 6 series, Emohawk is my new worst.

3. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

My least fave has got to be Pete (Parts 1 and 2). I don't find it very funny. The characters and situation irritate me, and there's a smeggin' dinosaur for crying out loud!

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I actually liked the dinosaur gag. It went well with the sci-fi shenanigans taken to extremes with comedic effect that Red Dwarf does so well. (Previous examples being Legion, the curry monster, and the various timey wimey and gelf/simulant episodes. Or the existence of a humanoid cat for that matter.) They took the theory of birds being descended from dinosaurs and had fun with it. (I don't think the theory states that sparrows are descended from T-Rexs any more than we are descended from gorillas or chimpanzees, but it's a silly fun idea.)

And that bit when Bird-man meets the new Pete for the first time was very darkly funny. "Is that you Pete?" CHOMP!

I found the repetitive nature of the gags surrounding the dinosaur, (or rather Hollister's monologues) amusing at first, then rather tiresome though.

5. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Pete part II is IMO by far the worse episodes as it seemed to be a collection of all the shows worst moments all stuck together in a mess that felt to me really lowest common denominator. Honestly everything in it made me cringe be it the giant vindaloo plan, the jokes about how afterwards it had a diarrhea attack ontop of Captain Hollister, Rimmer's theory that T-rex's are grumpy because their arms are too short to masturbate, Kryten's pet penis, Pete's baby coming in on Hollister while having a massage and the list really does go on. This episode is really hard to forgive because it really had nothing going for it. Runner up would have to be Back in the Red part III which comes as a close second worst IMO.

6. p3r1d0t

p3r1d0t First Technician

:roll:
    i agree about WAITING FOR GOD im not very fond of it nor the following episodes
    -backwards
    -bodyswap
    -the last day
    -justice
    -meltdown
    -rimmerworld
    -beyond a joke
    -kritie tv

i dont hate them i just dont like them so dont think that im not a big fan of red dwarf. :? im the only fan of rd in baltimore so stop hatin

7. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Back to Earth. Truly horrible, extremely lazily written & appallingly unfunny.

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

nearly every episode of series 8, and maybe 1 or 2 episodes of series 7 and mixed feelings on BTE

9. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

There's not one episode of red dwarf I don't like. Which makes me a bigger fan than talkie.

10. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

No it doesn't

11. Diet_coke

Well, yes, it does.

12. p3r1d0t

p3r1d0t First Technician

Well, No , It doesnt [lets make an apocalypse by quoting the most quoted comment :twisted:

13. Diet_coke

Yes, it does.

14. Prince_Bonjella

Prince_Bonjella Skutter

So, what is it?

15. p3r1d0t

p3r1d0t First Technician

I LIED :crying: I ONLY HATE WAITING 4 GOD HONESTLY

16. p3r1d0t

p3r1d0t First Technician

FINE ill do it myself
    [p.s. Yes It Does]
    [p.p.s None of You Are a Fan Cuz U Argue About whos the bigger fan] :x 8) :twisted:

17. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

I always find Parallel Universe and Backwards very boring, and for the same reason: seeming complacency about the premise led to lazy writing. "Will Shakespeare" etc. - come on!

Meltdown seems like a good idea but the execution (pun intended) was bad. It's actually a really neat idea, if you ignore the disappointing episode that was made out of it.

Those are the only episodes from the first 5 series that I'm not keen on.

When we got to series 6, the quality went downhill for me. They're still good episodes, though, with the exception of Emohawk II which is just a re-heat of old ideas.

Series 7 has its qualities - there is something nice about Chloe Annett's "lost girl" thing; I always feel a great urge to protect and ravish her - but it doesn't feel like RD for me. And I don't find it funny, in the slightest. All of the episodes are disappointing, but if I had to choose a "worst episode", it'd be Tikka to Ride for the reasons described here.

Series 8 is, IMHO, almost universally abysmal. "Almost", because I have to confess to not minding Krytie TV - forgive me, but there are several jokes in it that made me laugh! As for the worst episode, well, what a choice. I'd say Pete: Part 1 because of the awful Birdman nonsense (even calling him "Birdman" because he's got a pet bird, for god's sake...) and those agonisingly unfunny scenes with the time wand.

Back to Earth I really didn't mind very much. Of course there were things about it which disappointed me; it didn't feel enough like "classic Dwarf" for me, with its techno soundtrack etc. But I didn't hate it and none of the 3 episodes strikes me as being worse than the other two.

As for an all-time worst episode, I think I'd have to nominate Pete: Part 1. That scene with the time wand, when the guy is going "we've got to moo... oo oo oo... oove" is just so tediously boring and cringemakingly bad, that I consider it a monument to the critical state RD was in by that point. I mean I already knew, but that scene just sums it all up: a brilliant sitcom that had totally lost its moorings, and was really just a walking corpse, helplessly defecating over its former glories.

18. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I don't remember this episode. What series was it?

19. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

He means Meltdown

20. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I know, I was being glib. ;-)