Least favourite episode?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Keir_FTGL_Shiels, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Damn how could I overlook that given how sarcastic I am......I must be loosing it

2. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

Of course, sorry about the error. I always think it's called Wax World, for some reason!

3. p3r1d0t

p3r1d0t First Technician

4. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I actually like Meltdown.

My least favourite has to be Back In The Red parts 2 and 3. And the reason I hate parts 2 and 3 so much is because Back In The Red part 1 is actually really good....dodgy CGI rat aside, that is.

5. lewis1992

lewis1992 Third Technician

Hate it when people attack episodes such as Duct Soup when they actually have more laughs than many other episodes. People just don't seem to like Series 7 in general because it's too "high tech" and "different", when really they need to learn to love the WHOLE show, not just bits that suit them. Appreciate CHANGE, people, it happens! :-)

Least favourite episode has got to be one of the earlier ones before the show got its great storylines and gags. Maybe Parallel Universe or Balance of Power. It's not easy though because ALL Red Dwarf episodes are amazing and I'd happily watch any of them right now.

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Well I'm not a huge fan of either series 7 or 8 and that isn't just because it's different, let's face it every series of Red Dwarf is different from the last with the exception of 1 and 2. 7 and 8 just weren't as good IMO as any of those which went before them.

Back OT. Since this is in the Series I-VIII section I'll assume that we're not supposed to pick either the US Pilot or BtE which would be my overall picks. Of the main series I'd have to go with Body Swap, I can't quite put my finger on why but even back when I had everything on VHS it was still the one I'd be more likely to fast forward through.

I don't have a problem with Duct Soup myself, it isn't the best but it isn't the worst by quite some margin IMO, similarly I'm a bit bewildered by the flak Meltdown seems to be getting as I thought that was one of the better episodes overall.

7. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

That is a false summation of people's objections to s7 and s8. I happen to agree that s7 was too hi-tech, and it was too different in tone, but those are not the principal reasons I dislike it. The principal reasons I dislike it are: I don't find it in the slightest bit funny, I think the characterisation is bad and clumsy, I think the characters are childish, I found it totally lacking in substance, and I loathe the over-bearing "film" look it had.

What's more, I think that disliking needless and destructive change is a perfectly sensible thing to do. When Marooned becomes Duct Soup, damn right I'm going to dislike the change.

Why should I like, let alone "love", things that don't suit me?!

8. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Everyone should be critical of things, even the shows we like because if weren't then there would be no need for quality control.

9. danam22315

danam22315 Second Technician

I only skimmed this thread, but I think Marooned was my least favorite. However, it did have one good line after Lister ate the dogfood:
    "Now I know why dogs lick their testicles. It's to get that taste out of their mouth."

I also agree that Duct Soup was smeg.

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That makes you the only person I've ever met who doesn't like Marooned.

11. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

You must be in a straight jacket if you think Marooned is worse than Tikka to Ride, Stoke Me a Clipper, Ouroboros, Duct Soup, Blue, Beyond a Joke, Epideme, Nanarchy, Back in the Red, Cassandra, Krytie TV, Pete, Only the Good and Back to Earth.

I know people do have their tastes, but this takes the biscuit! :P:P:P

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Amusing line, although I think the second sentence was superfluous. (It is very Lister though.)

While Marooned was not my favourite episode, (although it is arguably one of the funniest) I thought it was pretty good. It's also the second episode I ever saw. The first was The End, when it was first shown*, and I didn't like it back then, so didn't watch any more Red Dwarf until I happened across Marooneda good while later.

*Yes, I'm that old.

13. jaykhunter

jaykhunter Second Technician

I love RD and have watched every episode over and over, so the least favourites would be ones that have me grabbing the remote or stopping halfway through. So....
    "Balance of Power" (not the enjoyable bickering, just unpleasantness)
    "Kryten" (I don't like Ross' Kryten AT ALL)
    S7 obviously enough! - "Duct Soup", "Blue", "Epideme" . I can't stand having to deal with whiny Kryten and prissy whiny Kochanski, and no Rimmer (although I'm aware Rimmer pops up here and there in S7) - it's just depressing.

14. SkyMartino

SkyMartino Skutter

Duct Soup was actually only made into an episode because they didn't have enough money to make the much better sounding episode of Identity Within where the Cat is fatally ill, with only one cure: he has to have sex. They travel to a GELF village, where a female cat called Aura is being held prisoner for auction. Lister, Rimmer and Kryten have to save Aura and get her to fall in love with the Cat before he dies from being a virgin.

My least favourite episode probably is Only The Good because to me it dose not really make to much sense (should be revealed in x)and the plot wasn't the most gripping. I thought the other ending for it which can be found HERE was much better and they should have aired this instead.