Let it snow?

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Oct 15, 2017.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

Another mild day. I'm sure it used to be a lot colder than this when I was a kid at this time of year. We also used to have what I called 'proper snow'. Snow that was a good foot thick, banked high and was ideal for jumping in up to ya waist and sledging. I've bin pondering it today, or d o I just remember it that way with rose tinted nostalgia? Was it always so mild, And I've just being influences by time,nostalgia, and too many Xmas cards?

Views

2. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

Well you'd have been a lot shorter back then I assume, Neil?

3. neilold

Well yes, but the snow, and how I believed it to be, would still have being the same

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I too seem to recall that there was much more snow back when I was younger. We seemed to get proper snow every winter. I remember once it snowing so much that it was about three feet deep in the local fields - or even deeper. Or is my memory just playing tricks on me? We don't seem to get really thick snow all that often now, and I don't think we got any other than a few specks of it last winter.

5. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

I remember it snowing in September once. I don't think this mild weather is too unusual, it's Autumn remember, clocks haven't even gone back yet. It usually gets coldest around January.

6. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

I live in the mid-south and we definitely have less snow than when we first moved here from Colorado. Less real cold weather too. Didn't have any snow that stuck last winter, it flurried a couple of times but not enough to even use the windshield wipers for. I have a five year old niece whos never played in it and thought you had to be on the north pole to see snow. The Ohio valley (where I reside currently)is sorta the boundary between north and south and I can remember walking across the Ohio river as a child due to the ice.

7. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Maybe it's global warming, @squeal mold. Please tell us your opinion on global warming.

8. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

FeeBee and BigOleDummy like this.
  9. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

It has snowed in the town I now live many years before I was born. Every winter I hope it gets cold enough to snow and that I get to see snow. As far as I am aware it has never snowed in my hometown.

10. neilold

Glad it's not just me. Perhaps it is too mild yet. Must be my mind playing tricks. The global warming point is an interesting one. Has it happened all too quick though to be global warming. Or is global warming taking effect a lot quicker and more raically than many predicted? Some say we're just in a global weather cycle that happens throughout the millennia, and nothing is actually that different

11. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I remember the days when there was so much of it, you looked like you had no legs... :eek:

BigOleDummy likes this.
  12. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

While there is some degree of a natural cycle, we should currently actually be getting colder if we were following said cycle. Even if we were supposed to be getting warmer right now, temperatures still shouldn't be rising as rapidly as they are, even at just tenths per year.

That said, out where I am we do still get some good snow. A couple years back my city was the snowiest city above 100000 people in the country, and currently is for this season (but it might not sit there for long). Every few years, we'll get some really good storms where they make everyone stay off the roads in a place where most people own four wheel drive vehicles. One year my dad and grandpa had to make a snow sled out of cardboard to move fiveish feet at a time.

13. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I'm not a fan of snow. Much of my work is outside, for a start. Also, I drive to work these days, and accidents while driving in snow are frequently far more expensive and inconvenient than accidents while walking in snow. I used to be such a winter person, favouring cooler weather, longer nights and snow to walk in. In the last few years I've become very much more a summer person, and snow can smeg off!