Listers backup

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by mtullock, Jan 6, 2018.

1. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Was listers backup done in thanks for the memory? He says in that he was downloading everything he's ever learned and done....

2. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Lister's backup was done when he was 23, so when crew was alive. He propably deleted this from database, when he gave Rimmer memories to Lisa Yates.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I think the idea is meant to be Lister personality was put on Disc for if he ever had to become a hologramme.

Presumably they erased that recording from Thanks for the memory when they chose to erase their memories.

4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Lister's backup was done when he was 23, which means it was before he joined the JMC. Because he joined the JMC when he was 24 at the earliest.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

They obviously made a mistake with the ages as the whole point of having one’s mind copied was so that members of the crew (JMC employees) could be uploaded to a hologram later. So I’d assume it was done not too long (a few months at most) before Lister went into stasis. I’d have thought they would do the backups at least twice a year to accommodate for gained experiences and promotions, etc.

Concerning Rimmer, that means he should have no memory of his death, since the hologram would be taken from a backup that occurred before the incident with the accident. I wonder if Holly did the same thing that Kryten did to Lister, I.e fill in his memory from footage or if he just filled him in verbally after his hologram was activated, since the amount of time then (from Rimmer’s POV) was relatively small. Or maybe they can do backups from newly deceased brains if they act fast. Since everyone was dead aside from Lister and Frankenstein, I doubt that would be a priority, however.

6. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I suppose Lister just hasn't bothered because nobody's told him to. Also, maybe the ship can see imminent death and takes a scan right then, and that way the hologram comes back right where the person left off.

7. Smelkus

Smelkus Third Technician

But the crew were turned to dust when the radiation leak happened so even if they could copy from a recently dead brain there would be no brain to make a copy from

8. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Hello

9. Captain_Star

Captain_Star Third Technician

The hologram system could have updated Lister's back-up in Bodyswap & the system could have made an auto update of the crew when they were plugged into AR in Back in the Red. The Mechanoid M.I.L.F. ship could still have a copy of Lister's memory in either the ships computer or Lister's abandoned Mech body as well.

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I agree. I meant before the accident. I suspect Lister just didn’t bother or think to do it after that, hence returning to his 23 year old state.