Live Recordings

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE 2020 SPECIAL' started by ausbrai, Dec 11, 2019.

1. ausbrai

ausbrai Skutter

Hi gang.

My Dad and I are attending the filming of the special on Friday at Pinewood - I was hoping to ask advise from anyone that has attended recordings before about how early it's best to arrive?

I have never attended a filming before for any TV show and am not sure how it works, beyond first come, first served seating wise.

This is an absolute dream come true for my father and I. We bonded over Red Dwarf when I moved in aged seven (technically he's my step-father). It has been hugely important to us ever since.

Unbelievably lucky to have gotten this opportunity. Being there no matter what the view or anything else will be incredible and a big deal - but we're really not sure what to expect (in terms of logistics).

Any input would be very much appreciated!! Thank you.

2. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

You aren't there camping outside right now? Uh oh....

Asclepius likes this.
  3. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

Well, only the amount of tickets given out are max people that will get in so it is not first come first served type of thing. So if you have tickets and arrive on time your getting in. My advice is to get there at the time you are told to arrive ot a little bit before. If you arrive too late (past the entry time) then I don't think you ae allowed in.

In fact all the info you need will be with your email about the tickets so no need to even ask here to be honest.

4. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

I talk a bit about attending a live recording here. (towards the end)

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/forum/threads/pembers-the-interview.8444/

I arrived SUPER early, like 2 hours before but I only had a standby ticket so wanted to maximise my chance of getting in. If you have a ticket already, arriving an hour before should be fine. When I went it was filming for a 30 minute episode and took about 2.5 hours. They film it chronically and show pre-recorded content when and where it fits into the story.

As I said in the interview most scenes are filmed 2-3 times even if there are no smeg ups, to get different camera angles. At the beginning and in between scenes you will be entertained by a warm up act, a stand up comedian type, likely to be Ian Boldsworth, who played the cheerful ‘friend’ character in M-Corp.

Asclepius likes this.
  5. ausbrai

ausbrai Skutter

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. And thanks @Underdunn Turkey for the link. I guess if there was/is a waiting room once you get in, there isn't much point getting in the line super early to try and secure good seats! So that's also good to know!

Have seen people say that elsewhere too, people get in line super early only to then enter a holding pen with everyone else. Getting there an hour early feels sensible...

Cheers.

6. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

Is anyone from this forum attending?

7. sundayforsammy

Nope, not me, I have tried to get tickets for every series since the BTE and although got online early ready to press that button to apply at the earliest point possible i have never got any tickets. I think this time was a bit fairer with the apply and get put in the hat so to speak but again I got hee haw. I think I will be dead before I get anywhere near close to a ticket. Honestly I'm not bitter at all about it :sulk:, and I hope everyone going has a great time. :-)

Asclepius likes this.
  8. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

I’ve been to two! But I’m sure the fan club guys got tickets :roll:

9. Asclepius

So, how was the recording, @ausbrai?

10. sundayforsammy

Aye, This.

Was it good ? obviously you can't give any details about it but did you enjoy it.

11. ausbrai

ausbrai Skutter

It was fantastic. Loved every second. The crew were on top form and some of the gags were truly hilarious.

Yes they are very clear in asking people not to give any spoilers what-so-ever, which makes complete sense but as a life long fan I can say I really liked the concept of the special (and it had good fan sevice).

With regards to logistics and seating (which I started the thread about) there is little way to influence where you sit. I.e arriving early doesn't mean the best seats - likewise arriving closer to start doesn't mean worst seats. We arrived around an hour early (lots already there) and got extremely lucky having the best possible seats. They are VERY on it that no one takes photos anywhere once in Pinewood. And i saw security rushing over if anyone even tried outside in the original line. Everything was incredible well organised. Plenty of parking. Security going into holding pen. Soft drinks and snacks available but you could only take bottled water into the actual studio. There are plenty of toilets there at the holding area, but no opportunity to go when in the studio so you gotta keep that in mind.

You could tell they cared about the audience's experience. I know this is a small detail but for example, when seated before things got started they had a playlist of Red Dwarf classics playing. I've never heard the original recordings before. It went through the eras, from the opening of seasons 1&2 to Tongue Tied, to "Everyone needs good androids" Ace Rimmers Top Gunesc score (amazing how close it actually is in full), all the way to the Rimmer Experience classic in S7. They didn't need to do that, people we're excited enough, but it shows the care taken.

VT was very good, so those going to the next recording will be brought up to speed!

Once in a lifetime experience.

12. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Great post above and glad to hear how much you enjoyed it.

Well so far there have been no retweets from Doug on his twitter but all the fans who saw this first half of the special who have been retweeted by Richard Naylor - though you would expect them to be positive to be on the producer's account - have all enjoyed what they saw and heard. I don't know about any other set reports yet though I have not really searched but this sounds promising and hopeful that Doug can pull it off and create a long form RD that is much superior to BtE (though that 2009 special is just alright rather than being truly bad) with no real padding.

Oh well, onwards and upwards into the new year - or should I say new decade - for the 2nd date in January and merry Xmas to all of you.

Although that election business in the UK overshadowed this first date very slightly, I am really looking forward to the responses to the final date and hope they are equally positive. It's great after all these 31 - and soon to be 32 - years that Red Dwarf is still with us and very much alive and kicking.

Alexandra likes this.
  13. Asclepius

There's a set report on Ganymede & Titan. It sounds overall positive.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  14. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

Did anyones trousers accidentally fall down during the recordings does anyone know?

Nikki the Great likes this.
  15. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Or indeed deliberately

16. UltraDevotee

Sounds promising too though I hope the word "overall" does not mean there is some less convincing material included. Still hopefully that is not the case and I am just too overly concerned. Thanks for the link and I will have to have a look at it soon.

Asclepius likes this.
  17. Dave_B_Phillps

Dave_B_Phillps First Technician

Ha ha ha, yes very funny everybody! I'm afraid you have to get up a bit earlier in the morning to catch big D out!

Pembers likes this.
  18. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

There’s only one Big D around here pal.

19. UltraDevotee

Oh well, this is obviously the last date of audience recording today and let's hope it is high-end quality, long form Red Dwarf this time. After the excellent series 11 and 12, I have every faith and confidence it will be and hope this will not be the last ever RD filmed in front of an audience - or otherwise - session ever.

Obviously after tonight they will have to post-produce it all but it will be really exciting finding out when it will be shown on our screens this year (hopefully earlier if possible) and all the promotion too

Happy new year and btw, I have been quiet because I was on holiday over Christmas and Hogmanay (New Year) in the bonnie Scottish Highlands. We were in the East Highlands (Cairngorms) this time but we also went back to the west (Glenfinnan, Fort William, the start of the Isle of Skye road, the Nevis range (looked spectacular), Loch Garry and Loch Lochy) for a couple of days.

Anyway sorry for going off topic and happy new Red Dwarf year everyone and cannot wait to see the finished results!

20. Asclepius

Thanks for keeping us posted. Where are you now?
    To you too!