london flats blaze

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Jun 14, 2017.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

Shocking to see. I though we had put an end to these instablaze flats of the sixties and seventies. The pics on tv reminded me of a seventies disaster movie.As someone who has lived in a tower block it certainly gives you pause for thought. Poor souls, godamn those responsible for this. I have friends in that area and I just hope they are okay.

thoughts?

Sarah likes this.
  2. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

I know it's so sad.

3. neilold

Yes, your heart goes out to them. What's most upsetting though is that this could very likely be easily avoidable. It's not like an unexpected natural disaster

4. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Really shocked to see this when I woke up this morning on the news. Looked out our window and could see the smoke cloud from that direction in the long distance :-(

5. neilold

Yep I have friend's who also can . We're supposed to be passed all this Lego block buildings that blaze and fall apart long ago. That's supposed to be in the past

6. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

It's not even that old a block in comparison (70's Iv'e heard) but yes this shouldn't be happening this day and age. Really surprised there's been no sprinkler system installed or something like that.

7. neilold

Dunno but looks like a gas leak . The cladding on the building was ablaze and spreading. That stuffs supposed to be inert and fireproof by law. Bet there's rule changes after all this. Poor souls

8. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Devastating :-( My heart goes out to those poor people and their friends and family. <3

It's concerning to hear claims that authorities continued to ignore fire safety concerns from local residents. Obviously we don't yet know the cause of this fire (and perhaps never will), but problems dating back to 2012 can be found documented on The Grenfell Action Group's blogsite, including concerns about the lack of access, and faulty wiring being found to have been the cause of a power surge incident in 2013.

Here's their article from 2016 (with some links dating back to 2013). It contains a few rather off-putting ad hominems and projections, but it seems that, at very least, warning signs were there. :/

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/

9. neilold

Me to. The trouble is we will see minor change s while it's occupying front pages, then it'll get quietly forgotten about, you watch, you see if it's just my cynicism or not, I bet you i am right

10. neilold

It's funny this mornings pics remind me of Britain in the early eighties, burn out tower blocks. i Was very heartened to see how the community had rallied round and were providing essentials. Food, water and bedding, it scenes like that that prove humanity Is not necesarrily as lost as most of us think.

Freeborn likes this.
  11. neilold

Pleasing to see

12. neilold

Theresa may did not speak to any of the residents when she visited. This is not only totally despicable, it is also extreme cowardice. There should also be an inquest, not an independent public enquiry. An inquest is coroner led an independent public enquiry is led by a judge, who's appointed by the people he/she is enquiring about. Plus there is a large legal difference between the two

13. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

Yeah, a private tour for May was deplorable. She should've faced the people she failed. Again. Hopefully the next GE in a few months will see her and her ilk off.

14. neilold

Yes it was a pathetic thing to do, even by politician standards, which is quite saying sonething.