London Jets T-shirts

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sundayforsammy, Sep 22, 2012.

1. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I saw these at Amazon, I don't know if there official merch but they look good.

2. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

They're not official merch.

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Like Seb says. They are authentic reproductions though. I have the Mugs Murphy one and love it.

I have wondered aloud on here why, given the apparent demand, these shirts have never been officially produced. They are certainly a lot classier and retro geek-chic than the rather nerd-tastic official ones we've seen in the past.

I'd much rather express my love for the show with a subtle reference like this than I would with a massive picture of Craig Charles with the word "twat" emblazoned on it...but apparently I don't understand market forces and that. So there you go.

4. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Perhaps with all the new interest in RDX and all the advertising Dave is doing for the new series GNP might want to thing about some merchandise along these lines.

5. jaykhunter

jaykhunter Second Technician

Oh man I hoped you were lying about the "twat" t-shirt; the authentic tees are like kids-style from the 90s; absolutely awful stuff. They should be doing, as you mentioned, geek-referencing nice-looking t-shirts, like the ones you find on lastexittonowhere.com . I wanna wear a tee that lister would wear, not a fan's t-shirt! RD dropped the ball but there's always time to make it right.

6. bedfordfalls

Beware: link to horrible argument.

7. jaykhunter

jaykhunter Second Technician

Well this forum is the right place to talk about it and hopefully a rep from the forum might take hold. Startup tee companies like barbershopwindow do it, hopefully it could be done. I want a nice RD tee and I want to support the right people but if the 'right people' aren't bothered I'll have to go with the ones who do.

Are there any more RD subtle reference t-shirts available?

8. bedfordfalls

TDP Textiles seem to be the only officially licensed T-shirt vendor that this site links to and they apparently are still content to put out just the two designs: The Ace Rimmer "kipper" t-shirt and the equally subtle "twat it" design. I believe there was also a "better smeg than dead" design at one point...which presumably deliberately chose to invert Rimmer's classic line from Out of Time under the mistaken belief that Red Dwarf fans like to refer to themselves as "smeg". :roll:

The belief seems to be that as these designs have been the most popular sellers since the nineties, people don't want anything different in the way of Red Dwarf tees. This argument holds up about as well as a shop that has only ever sold apples saying that nobody wants bananas or oranges because apples have always been their best selling fruit!

Personally I wouldn't be seen dead in any of the official t-shirts. It's 2012 and people expect a bit more subtlety and sleekness of design than they did in the early nineties. Sci-fi is no longer a closeted hobby that consigns people to lurk in the dark corners of Forbidden Planet and subtle retro references have long since been where its at.

9. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I think you'll find those aren't in production these days. It's stock. From five years ago.

1) Better Dead Than Smeg appeared as a slogan on the back of a shirt, not as the main image. It didn't appear on later re-issues. This is a shirt basically not made since the mid-90s.
    2) The T-shirt was created before Series VI was made, so isn't a reference to Out Of Time at all.
    3) The slogan as used on that shirt refers to it being better to be the 'smeg' - the scum, the slime of the universe, i.e. the characters on the show - than dead.

That is not the argument. Wasn't the argument the first time you suggested it was, isn't the argument now.

"What Sci-Fi Is" declarations aside, I entirely agree that it would be great to get past the old 90s designs - which to my knowledge aren't in production now - and release some cooler, more inspired deigns more akin to Last Exit To Nowhere and the general current trend for more 'insider' references and niftier designs. London Jets, Mugs Murphy, JMC, etc. That'd be great to have. And more popular than reissuing the old designs.

I have always felt this to be the case. It's there in the old thread. As ever, the argument presented here isn't the argument that keeps these shirts from happening.

The case for such designs was made, repeatedly, in-house, during my time.

Despite my departure, I don't doubt it will continue to be.

10. bedfordfalls

I guess people had taste in the nineties after all.

11. blaggard

blaggard First Technician

I was going to ask - I quite like the idea of making my own Red Dwarf-referencing T-shirt (maybe through Cafepress as already mentioned - although I had a job interview at one of their subsidiaries and the guy who interviewed was a [naughty word]).

Would there be any copyrighting issues? Don't want a cease-and-desist dropping through my door, or anything.

12. blaggard

blaggard First Technician

Right. I'd imagine that they'd probably not care too much if I was to make a shirt with some obscure quote on it, but things would probably be different if I started selling them by the bucketload and making a profit myself. Regardless, I do like the idea of having one shirt that only I own.

13. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Makes sense to me. I know a guy who used to do exactly that (with his own designs) Although I'm not sure he used Cafepress specifically - and he only charged around £15 per shirt. He made little profit, but he did make a tiny bit of profit, which went towards funding his websites.

He now has the equipment to print them himself however (in his garage), and only charges around £10. He makes a bit more profit than he did initially too. The blank T-shirts he uses are "Fruit of the loom" or "port & Company". Both of which are surprisingly good quality considering their low prices when bought in slightly larger - but not massively large quantities.

Edit: Oh and from my (limited) experience, the quality of Cafepress T-shirts are actually pretty good. Mine seems to be anyway.

14. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Trouble is, if GNP do give their blessing for this kind of print on demand service, they can probably forget any larger company coming in at any point in the future and franchising the production of authentic Red Dwarf t-shirts.

Incidently, The Official Red Dwarf Fanclub has a Cafepress account... JUST HERE

15. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

About a decade ago, my gf at the time got me a Red Dwarf polo. It was great- black with the RD logo on the breast. Really simple and it looks really nice.