Man In The Rubber Mask new smeggier edition

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by besbvesdy, Jan 7, 2014.

1. besbvesdy

besbvesdy Third Technician

I'm enjoying reading this again but has anyone noticed a few chunks missing from the original edition? I remember there being a couple of bits, one about why Craig Charles suddenly starts saying "la" all the time (which I would still like explaining) and one where Robert muses that Kryten is better looking than him.

Did I make these up? Are they really gone from the new version?

Great read either way

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, the footnote explaining Charles' utterance of 'la' is there in my old copy of The Man in the Rubber Mask (chapter 5), but is missing from my updated copy, sadly. I wonder what the reason for its omission is.

I don't remember the other bit you mention though.

3. besbvesdy

besbvesdy Third Technician

so why does he end up saying 'la' all the time?

4. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Cos he's a scouser?

5. counting_sheep

counting_sheep First Technician

I've been wondering that as well. I don't have the original book but have been reading the updated one recently.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I should point out that Llewellyn doesn't know why. He just states that for reasons unknown Charles started saying it a lot during the recoding of series 4.

7. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Is it not just... because he's a Scouser, and it's a thing Scousers say?

8. ClareGC

ClareGC Catering Officer

"La" means "lad" in Scouse (In my family, it also means "luv"). It's what someone from Liverpool (who has a scouse dialect) might say instead of "Mate".

I read that as Robert just being silly when he said 'for reasons unknown', since it's an ordinary word for a Scouser to use - although Robert doesn't say how often Craig was saying it 8)

Perhaps Craig was spending more time around fellow Liverpudlians that series? Or possibly he'd been supressing his natural dialect before then, as people do to be more easily understood. Or, maybe he was just having some fun. :-D

9. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Thanks for the lesson Clare. You learn something new every day, they say :-). I haven't known many Scousers down the years so the use of 'la' passed me by :lol: