May i please ask the producers..

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by IFW_2009, Jul 5, 2009.

1. IFW_2009

IFW_2009 Skutter

Well it seems that there was a lot of support for this mini-series. And maybe you're thinking of making more.

But can i PLEASE ask that you DO NOT make any more UNLESS Rob Grant is back on as a writer?

I dont want to ruin my memories of a great show any more by any more sub-standard writing

Thanks,

PS : A little more rehearseal time wouldnt go amiss either - the first episode of Back to earth seemed like a high school play production.

2. holsy1982

holsy1982 Third Technician

Unfortunately I think that it is unlikely that Rob is back on board, he seems to want to distance himself slightly these days, and fair play to him for that. This all said I don't think that should necessarily be an end to Red Dwarf. There are dozens of other talented writers who could be enticed onto the crew I am sure, in order to write funnier material.

As for rehearsal time, yeah they could do with some, but with budget and time restrictions, we may have to live with what we've got.

For me I'd love to see more Red Dwarf whoever is on the writing team. I just hope they use BTE to gain knowledge as to what works and what doesn't. I'd hope they go back to a slightly longer episode (28min) as I think 22 is just too short. I'd love them to get a studio audience back in, but thats probably a step to far.

3. Windfola

Windfola Third Technician

I doubt Rob will be coming back, no matter how much some people keep crying for it. Personally I'm happy with Doug's writing, but then his solo Dwarf book was my favourite of the lot, so...

If you don't want your memories ruined, don't watch. Simple as that! We can't all have everything our own way after all. Just remember, no matter what the subject is there will always be some people left unhappy, and we've all just got to face the fact that sometimes it will be us. I've had it happen to me before with other shows/movies, but I've always just left those who actually enjoyed it to do so in peace rather than rain on their parade.

They were pressed for time, true. It baffles me though when I read people saying that they weren't the best in the first episode, or that it took them a while to warm up. The shows weren't filmed in exact order you know, so it really doesn't make much sense to say that.

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Why do people think that Rob Grant is somehow the only person who can write Red Dwarf? What solo episode of Red Dwarf of his do we have to compare to Doug Naylor's own? Rob's RD book was, imo the worst of the four novels with a horribly contrived ending that made only the good look...well, better than poor.

Rob Grant's reputation grows with every episode of Red Dwarf he doesn't write but this is a falicy when there is no evidence to suggest he has any fresh ideas for the show or can write material as funny now as he may have been able to 15 years ago.

Personally I'm less concerned with rob coming back than I am with keeping Paul Alexander away from the show considering he couldn't even come up with gags he hadn't already supplied to Jasper Carrot!

5. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    Part of it is probably his non-RD novels which have gone down pretty well but mainly it is just that Rob and Doug produced much better work when they were together. They really complimented each other very well and the result was quite better than anything I have seen from them separately.

6. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

Doug's writing and directing were both excellent on BTE. Personally I'll be over the moon to see more Red Dwarf written and directed by whoever, but I think his writing with Ed Bye's directing is the best combination. Speaking of which, why didn't Ed direct BTE?

7. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

If you don't Red Dwarf without Rob Grant, no one is forcing you to watch the new episodes. I for one thought back to earth was awesome and hope to see more dwarf in the future regardless to who is writing it.

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think Doug wanted to have a go at directing himself. Besides, Ed Bye might have been busy with something else. He's still beavering away I think.

9. onephatsmegger

onephatsmegger Second Technician

I would much rather have a new Red Dwarf series without Rob involved, than nothing at all.

10. steff85

steff85 Second Technician

I think Doug is an actual god for doing what he has done.

11. Julia

Julia Catering Officer

i also think concidering age/budget/busy schedules/getting back into characture vibes,etc.... all this aside it was pretty good..i enjoyed it.
    At face value it may not be the best but hey as RD goes it was new.I never can stand taking a programe apart and wondering the how or whys or opps look thats wrong etc...your supposed to watch it to enjoy it..kinda like a book bury yourself into the act and imagine its real...or in RD case laugh lots at the impossibilty of it all!

12. Robbyuno

Robbyuno Third Technician

Why not just NOT WATCH IT if there are more made?

Never mind your memories...lots of other people would love to see more.

BTE wasn't a classic, but in amongst all the great original episodes, there was the odd duffer.

13. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I'd much rather have one of them still writing then neither of them. We all have treasured memories of this fantastic series mate.

14. onephatsmegger

onephatsmegger Second Technician

While Doug seems to get a lot of flak for his writing (why, I don't know), I think that there are episodes in VII and VIII that are just as funny as their predecessors. I'd hardly call his writing 'sub-standard'. After all, he wrote the more entertaining of the solo RD novels.

I agree with others on here - if you're not happy with the direction in which Doug is taking the show, then don't watch it. Simple as.

15. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

This could easily be the most ridiculous post the forum has had since the site opened!

As I often say, I URGE YOU to try and get your hands on Rob Grants SKY 1 (!!) tv series The Strangerers and compare it to BTE!!!

You will be begging Doug not to work with Rob ever again if you see it!!!!!!!!! But good luck trying to find a copy - it ran for one series and didn't make it on dvd because it was that naff!!!

Oh and by the way - the episodes Doug (and Rob in series 5) directed are way way waaaaaaay better than any of the other directors they used! Much more darker - love it!!! How RD should be.

16. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Yep, I agree