Mental health

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by Sarah, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

Just wanted a rant really.Just back from the doctors about one of my sons who has suspected autism along with other mental health issues but trying to access help is so hard doctor was lovely and is trying her best to get us more help(I'm waiting on a phone call)but I just don't understand why children's mental health isn't a priority,apparently it's easier as an adult to get help .But surely if you can help them out now it will be better in the long run.
    There is definitely a rise in children with issues and I'm not surprised there's so much pressure on them.

2. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

My son had aspergers, it can be terribly difficult and very frustrating. Luckily he was able to attend the same secondary school as everybody else in his class did. So the affects on that side of his life were minimal. I share your frustration though. It was a real struggle just to get him into there
    You get smeg all help from the government or the nhs either. We had to do it all ourselves, despite working ourselves. I genuinely feel for you. There's a lot of misconceptions about mental health, sufferers aren't violent psychos nor are they necessarily likely to attack or harm you.

Sarah likes this.
  3. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

Fun fact: I was misdiagnosed with a form of autism as a kid that was then overturned as an adult. I think my mum just wanted me on meds to shut me up lol. And I refused to speak to the psychiatrist so they all just seemed to jump to conclusions. Adults can be so dumb sometimes.

Sarah likes this.
  4. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

Being a parent to child with mental health issues is so tough,you can't appreciate just how stressful and the amount it dominates your life so I can really relate to you Neil.
    Doctors rang back and need to get school to get a educational psychology report easier said than done as they don't have much funding or I need to pay for him to see someone privately which is so expensive and probably more than I can afford.

5. neilold

Yes it's ridiculously expensive, and I genuinely feel for u a great deal. I also no how heartbreaking it cam be wen u can't afford to give them all you want to. I'm always here if u wanna chat about it, or pm me. It can be exceptionally stressful and tiring to, looking after a child with mental health issues, and being constantly worried over them. Especially when you think about how they're going to cope with future life, and dealing with people and problems. I'm praying for you and sending my very best thoughts and wishes xx

Sarah likes this.
  6. neilold

Getting a report can be do difficult. Specially when they put cost over a child's well being, it's really quite sickening when u analyse it to any kind of degree . I would advise you to put your strongest case forward, lie if you have to a little bit, your childs future comes above morals in such matters

7. neilold

Unusual for you to get overturned as a adult nicki. V cruel also, you don't just grow out of autism, it's not like an headache. You have my sympathies , you really do. I sometimes get the idea, that it's only costs when it comes down to such things. Mind you having known people who have being seen by atos i'm not surprised. You could go in there as a head on a plate and they'd still say your fine

8. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

Thanks. I'm over it now. But thanks.

9. neilold

Glad you are, life can border on the sadistic at times. Especially when it's stressful enough anyway suffering with that kind of thing in the first place

10. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

Thanks I may well take you up on that offer Neil.
    I agree it's so frustrating being powerless to help.I've emailed the school and I know the teacher so fingers crossed I'll get somewhere.
    I think what's hardest is that we all have this perfect view of having children and that's not life is it.

11. neilold

No it's certainly not. Mrssage me any time the 2.4children thatched cottage fantasy is just that,a fantasy

Sarah likes this.
  12. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

Haha I know,but I'm sure it that would be boring anyway I love stress and crying;-)

13. neilold

Yes misery certainly loves company

Sarah likes this.
  14. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

Good saying!!