Might we see a new series (XIII & XIV) in 2018-19?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Chris D, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

It's early days, but Series XI seems to be somewhat well thought of. Of course Series XII is already finished which I expect we'll see broadcast in around a year's time.

If it continues in the same vein through to the end of Series XII, I can't imagine Dave not wanting to commission another series or two. If the experiment of writing and filming two series back to back was a success, could they do the same again?

If they do, we could see Series XIII start filming towards the end of 2017, with Series XIV starting at the beginning of 2018. They could then broadcast XIII at the end of 2018 and XIV at the end of 2019 -- maybe even for the cycle to start over again for XV and XVI!

2018 could well be an interesting year to have more Red Dwarf, what with it being its 30th anniversary. Very exciting.

Of course, everything I've said above is easy enough to say. It's Doug that would have the difficult job.

2. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Its at the point now where I'd be more surprised if there wasn't more Red Dwarf after series XII than if there was. It really doesn't feel like they've made all they ever will.

3. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I'm very confident there will be more; I just really don't want there to be a long wait again like there was between BTE and X and X and XI.

We're going to be so spoiled by XI this year and XII next year, that to wait several years after that will be difficult.

4. AJ Smeggnog

AJ Smeggnog Second Technician

Well I'm hoping something big is planned for the 30th anniversary. Series XIII in February 2018 to celebrate the occasion wouldn't be a bad thing.

That said, I'm pretty sure there'll be at least one more series of Red Dwarf after XII any way. I mean with two new series in the can, it really feels like the show is back, much more so than RDX (though I think RDX was promoted better).

5. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Third Technician

Series XIII ideas,
    Doug stated in SFX that "I got an idea for series XIII last week !"
    So he is defiantly making plans for another series, and we can only hope it's a double series again, mayby in 4k, 50 minute episodes.

6. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

I doubt Craig would have quit Corrie, a permanent job for him, just to commit to a few months of RD and leave himself out looking for new work. I'd say that XIII and maybe even XIV are gonna happen, filmed back to back and XIV could likely be the last. I doubt Robert is gonna want to have to go through what he does for Kryten much more in his life, he turned 60 this year.

7. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Yeah I figured from some of the interviews that the only real blockers are Danny and his filming Death in Paradise and more importantly Craig and Coronation Street.

Side note; as far as I understand it, Craig might be going back into the I'm A Celebrity jungle this year after he had to leave early two years ago when his brother suddenly passed away. Obviously he couldn't last year as he was in the middle of filming series XI presumably. If he still wants to do that, and they want to film XIII next year then this year is really his only opportunity.

It's encouraging to hear those rumours. If they produce next year in time for 2018 I can imagine Dave being all over the anniversary stuff. Though I guess anniversary stuff can be independent of any new episodes (if they just do maybe a special documentary / interviews). Exciting stuff :-D

8. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

I hope that if they have a big RD story for the 30th anniversary that it's not as poor as Doctor Who's "Dimensions in Time" done for their 30th.

9. FeeBeeBells

FeeBeeBells Deck Sergeant

Red Dwarf makes me feel old. I was only a couple of months old when it started airing XD I'm also hoping that they do something big for the 30th and great big and not silly big. I'll like to see them make a few more seasons back to back without long breaks in between. Was hoping that when X came out we'd see more right away but it didn't happen since its been a few years since X.