Misheard and Misunderstood

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Simonr1978, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Recently we've had Billy Casper wondering what Jaw-Ex Volleyball was and myself admitting to hearing Lister desperately trying to order a Stairmaster, I'll also add to this that for many years I genuinely couldn't make out what Danny John-Jules was saying when he says "you had to ask," in Quarantine.

Anyone else got any words, lines or exchanges that have stumped them in the past or maybe continue to do so?

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Kryten's "What a truly copacetic piece of machinery" in Meltdown baffled me for years.

I heard 'truly' as 'chormy', which is a word that doesn't exist. It also didn't help that I didn't have a clue what 'copacetic' means. In fact, I still don't.

"A chormy, copacetic piece of machinery" is still a pleasing phrase though.

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Nice idea! I have lots of these... if only I could think of them. I'll be back when they come to me.

4. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

How could we forget! Hilarious!

[​IMG]

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It really wasn't all that funny.

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Another one of mine that I've remembered, for ages (In all honesty it's only recently that I realised I'd got it wrong) I was convinced the computer in Justice said "Welcome to Testus world". Now I have to wonder why, I mean there's even a clue in the episode title...

7. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Well not to you but it was to me...obviously...:roll:

8. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

I can't remember from what episode it was but I think it was one of the Holly opening lines where he mentions the 'Berni Inn' I heard it as Ber-nean and always wondered what it meant and that was when the eps first aired. In the North of England we never had Berni Inn that I am aware off so it was just woosh over my head.

For anyone still not knowing, they were the Wimpy and MacDonalds type of thing of their time.

9. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

Actually, they were more like a Harvester, Brewers Fayre or Beefeater type place - chain restaurant/pubs.

10. Sammy Psycho

Heyhey, Jo I see what you mean after googling them but they were still the first sort of American fast food import style of place which has really turned into the Macdonalds formula of this age, a precursor of things to come so to speak . The American business model didn't really do pubs and food so I am assuming they are like food pubs we have now mixed with an American Dinner sort of crap ? Wetherspoons type of rubbish maybe. I have not heard of Harvester or brewers Farye and I am guessing they are the same as wetherspoons. :-)

BTW you must be too young to remember Berni Inn ?

11. Jo TORDFC

Course not! I'm 35 and they only disappeared in the early 90s :-)

They're not really "fast food" is what I mean, they were sit down restaurants, they all had the same look inside, but there was no American diner theming though - lots of wooden beams, cream walls... imagine a British country pub. The chain aspect related more to the look and the fact that the menus were the same everywhere - so yeah, I guess kind of similar to Wetherspoons... except less about the bar aspect and more about the food.

12. Jo TORDFC

13. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

For some reason the first comparison that always comes to my mind is Little Chef. I'm not sure I ever went to a Berni Inn though so I'm not sure it's the best comparison.

14. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

White hole

Cat) we better pray to God this works... Something something something man!

No idea what he is saying and too lazy to google it!

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Another I've remembered...In Polymorph when Lister is talking about Petersen, he says, "he was in sickbay for a week. What a weed." I used to think 'what a weed' was a repeat of 'for a week'. The transcribers at Nildram thought the same thing. Funnily enough, the 'what a weed' line is removed from the remastered version of the episode. I wonder why.

16. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I used to have a problem hearing what Cat yelled when he attacked Lister in the Drive Room, until I finally caught "Dog Attack!"

On a similar note, I had to re-watch the show with captions for the encyclopedia, and man, whoever did the captions should be sent to Siberia... wrong spellings, misheard dialog.... Once, during Kill Crazy's conversation with Kryten in Krytie TV, it read "Oy, Toy Boy"; The bonus features however, which had that same scene in it, corrected the insult as "Droid Boy". Crap like that happened on a nearly-constant basis.

17. Sammy Psycho

Wow that amazes me, I would have thought when the subtitles were done they would of at least had a real script to work from or maybe Doug or some appointed person in the know might have proof read the subs before committing them to DVD.

18. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

To be honest, Red Dwarf, song lyrics and adverts have one thing in common: I mishear a lot of things. :eek:ops:

19. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

It's cold outside,
    There's no kinder atmosphere.

I'm or a loan,
    Moral-less.

20. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Spare him his life from his warm sausages