Misheard and Misunderstood

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Simonr1978, Mar 29, 2015.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Decided to work through the novels again last night, and learned something. I'd always presumed the name of one of Lister's friends was Tod Hunter, when in fact it's Todhunter, as in Christopher Todhunter.

I can't be the only one to have made this mistake, surely?

2. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I immediately understood it was 'todhunter' right from the first time I heard rimmer call him that. I think considering they are all calling each other by their second names its an obvious connection.

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

True, but they even pronounce it like it's two separate names... there's even a pause between 'Tod' and 'hunter'. When they say Peterson, it's said as one word, they don't say Peter Son.

4. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

While I knew it was Todhunter, I doesn't matter how you say it, it will always sound like two names unless you put an exaggerated unnatural pause between.

5. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Yep. You are not wrong...

6. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Eh? Do you mean unless you DON'T put an exaggerated unnatural pause between? Surely the longer the pause, the more like two names it will sound?

7. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

No, you're not the only one. For years I thought it was Tod Hunter too. And I agree that the way it's sometimes prenounced does sound like two names. Although what Fandango said makes total sense of course. But it went over my head at the time and stuck with me until about 6 years ago.

8. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Yep, I was in the Tod Hunter camp too, until I saw it written somewhere. Can't remember where though, maybe here???

9. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Er ! Yes, that's it. So I really meant, even if you say it without a pause/gap it still sounds like two names. :-)

10. Santa Paws

Santa Paws Flight Co-Ordinator

Yup - Tod Hunter. Not much of a pawse between the two names, but I heard it too.

11. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Thank God for that. At least Simulant can't roll around the floor laughing at me now :-D

12. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

It took me absolutely AGES to work out that Cat was saying "Take The Fifth" in Justice. It didn't make any sense to me at all, for all I could work out was that it started with "tay...."

13. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

If it's any consolation I too thought it was Tod Hunter although I'm not sure but I think I realised when I saw his name spelled out on the closing credits.

14. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

It is, but I can go one better. Watching Duct Soup now and at the scene in the ducts where Kochanski is telling Lister about 'her' Lister being gay. Lister then admits to not having many gay friends and Kochanski says he has, but he just didn't know it. When Lister asks for an example, she claims Todhunter was gay. Out of interest, I rewound the scene and enabled the subtitles and when she says her line, the words read "Well, I can only speak for my reality, but on our ship... Todd Hunter."