model shots

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by onecelledcreature, Mar 14, 2009.

1. onecelledcreature

onecelledcreature Skutter

does anyone know if any of the shots of ships etc, (if any) will use models like in the earlier series?
    i know computer effects have come on a bit in the last ten years but they still don't match the great models that we used to see. series VIII's computer starbug doesn't really look great.

i suppose if there was a red dwarf model it would have to be new, want the only one blown up a while back?

2. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

I would suspect they will be CGI, cost and time a big factor. CGI models cheaper to produce and a lot faster to get in the edit.
    The original 8ft ship fell off a shelf and was later thrown away. The later ship which was used in Demons and Angels, as you say was blown up! We may not see external shots of the ship or even Starbug this time.

3. onecelledcreature

onecelledcreature Skutter

that's what i figured with it being called back to earth after all

4. IronMaid666

IronMaid666 Third Technician

their was a model of red dwarf that was in VIII & the remasters but it was never used. i woder if its still around. But it would all be done with CGI shots as the post production period is only 30ish days.

5. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

The original Dwarf model was used for shoots for (I think) series one and three. After which it fell of a shelf and was thrown out.

A new, smaller version was built for series five, shot, and then blown up for Demons & Angels.

A new model was built for the remastering project, based on a new 'long and thin' design. It still exists, as does the CGI version.

6. PaddyC84

PaddyC84 Second Technician

I never liked the long, thin version, it looked much better when it was the small, fat one and was a real model. The CGI version for VII and VIII didn't look all that good IMO. If we do see any model shots, I doubt they will be models as the CGI will look much cleaner and tie in with the HD of the show, a model shot will probably reveal the strings! :lol:

7. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

No clues as to if this still existing model was used for anything? :P

8. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

The existing model was shot for an unused closing title sequence for the remastered episodes, and later for a test shot for the RD movie.

I can't imagine what else you could be referring to...;-)

9. steven87gill

steven87gill Second Technician

I guess the only way using model shots would make financial sense in these (long overdue and wonderfully welcome) specials would be if

A: A filming model alredy existed

and

B: Only one model was needed since only one ship was in the story.

Computer photo scanning technology at the time of the remasters (and TV CGI in general) was fairly new,
    so the CGI Dwarf didn't do the actual model made justice, which looks .amazing.