Moments you found funny that the audience didn't

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Someonewhobadlyneededapen, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Someonewhobadlyneededapen

Someonewhobadlyneededapen Skutter

Hi, I was going to call this topic 'Moments you laughed at that the studio audience didn't laugh at', but it wouldn't fit :lol:

What moments in Red Dwarf made you laugh, but were accompanied by no laughter from the studio audience? Two moments stick out for me:

1) In 'Psirens', when Kryten asks Lister how he is after waking from hypersleep, he says: 'Not good; I don't know who I am.' :-D

2) In 'Fathers & Suns', when they see a man outside the ship, Rimmer says: 'That's not a man - that's Lister!' :-D

I laughed at both of these. Anyone have any other moments they found funny, but the studio audience didn't laugh at?

Also, hello - it's my first post :-D

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Hi, So Frivolous. Why did it take you more than two years to make your first post?

That Rimmer line in Fathers and Suns that you mentioned is the one that immediately sprang to mind for me. It is meant to be funny, isn't it? It's strange because normally Red Dwarf audiences laugh at everything.

3. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Mind your own business, perhaps?

4. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

A lot of Back to Earth comes to mind for this.

5. Ant E

"This is all your fault" - Back in the Red Part three

6. Someonewhobadlyneededapen

Someonewhobadlyneededapen Skutter

Bluey - yes, I think when Doug wrote that line he was probably hoping for an audience laugh - unfortunately they didn't that time. It's definitely curious why they didn't.

Abe - I see what you did there. ;-)

Ant:-e - I can't actually remember that one. I'll have to do a re-watch! 8)

7. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Perhaps it was filmed on a pick-up or without a studio audience, and they just forgot to add in the laughter track in the edit?

8. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I was in the studio audience that night and the line was definitely performed Live. I recall smiling/laughing under my breath but was genuinely quite surprised that no one laughed out loud on that occasion. It even crossed my mind that I may have actually misheard the line as there wasn't even a titter, just a total wall of silence for some reason.

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

The way Cat says, "He's right. That was definitely the decent thing to do!" when Rimmer tells Lister at least he had the decency to read his diary behind his back.

10. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

"That's your excuse for everything, isn't it? Being dead."

Doesn't even get so much as a murmur from the audience, but I think it's a wonderful line.

11. Ant E

"Yep right we know you're dead Rimmer don't keep whinging on about it..."

"Sorry to be a bore"

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Why do you find that funny? I can't imagine that any normal person would laugh at that line.

13. Ant E

Why do I need to explain myself to you? Is the thread about justifying humour to BLUEY? Have you ever used the smiley icon once in your lengthy time on this forum? I think, given how rude, bossy and miserable you act round here you'd be the last person I'd explain "what tickles me" to!! :x

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm just curious as to what amuses you about the line "sorry to be a bore". I mean, it's not meant to be an amusing comment, is it? Or am I missing something?

Next post: Ant E mentions how hilarious he finds Rimmer's "Holly, give me access to the crew's confidential reports" line from Waiting For God.

15. Ant E

Because it's funny. It made me laugh. But congratulations, you've managed to yet again ruin another post and suck any form of enjoyment out of it. I shall no longer laugh next time I watch that scene. Just for your humourless, grumpy self!

:x

16. Ant E

Ps have you considered applying for Ray Peacock's job for series 13? You'd be a perfect candidate for an audience warm up guy. "Yeah, you can laugh but only when I find it funny. If not, stand up and justify yourself to me so I can ruin it for you"

17. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

18. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

:lol:

19. Ant E

I got more from Nikki so I win.

Is this your latest gimmick - interfering in my posts?

20. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

It's the fact that Rimmer is actually dead - arguably the gold standard of personal misfortune - but is being made to feel like a martyr for going on about it. It's the idea that you could be a "bore" for complaining about being dead.

Rimmer response is ironic. It has a flavour of... "Gosh, I am sorry. Was I bringing the mood down, by being dead? How self-centred of me! You don't want to hear about my minor personal setbacks," etc., etc..

There's also some mild humour in the tonal contrast between the thought of death, which is a very weighty topic, and the specific wording of "sorry to be a bore," which sounds petty.