RDXI / RDXII More Episode suggestions

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Eddiebadassdavis, Mar 2, 2018.

Best season of 2016 or 2017

1. XI

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. XII

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Supply Officer

Well i came up with some new XIII
    Suggestions.

1. Frozentime
    Krytens machine goes wrong which
    Makes everything frozen in time.

2. Dad (this was about to be part of series I)
    Lister finds a letter from his two sons Jim
    And Bexley.

3. Dog's of space
    The Dwarfers find a dog race which has been watching them for yrs and the race is dying.

4. Shocky Horrors video show.
    Rimmer's light bee has been infected by a virus which creates a living horror only
    Rimmer can see.

5.Catnapped
    Cat has been catnapped by expernoids
    Which are planning to kill him. Because he stole 9 of 21's glass eye.

6. TBA

2. Cloud (Christmas)

Cloud (Christmas) Flight Co-Ordinator

1. Where are my Trousers
    Listers only pair of trousers get flushed into space and the gang tracks them down

2. Hitler is back
    Hitler appears again only this time he is trying to save Christmas

3. Last wine gum
    Cat eats the last Wine Gum on board Red Dwarf and everyone is really sad.

4. Petewave
    Sort of a mix between Pete Part 2 and Timewave

5. Lets Play
    Lister and Cat stars a video gaming Lets play Rednet channel. Rimmer tries starting a risk web show.

6. The Middle
    Lister gets warped back to around the time of Series 4 and uses the DNA machine to become Curry

3. Eddiebadassdavis

Thanks

4. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

There are a lot of these here. You should contribute some of your ideas, too.

5. neilold the red nosed reindeer

neilold the red nosed reindeer Flight Co-Ordinator

I like some of eddie's suggestions, they sound a lot better than most of the crap the actual writers knock out these days

6. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

That could actually turn into a really funny episode. My vote goes to Cloud for "The Last Wine Gum"

7. Nicoca-cola Truck

Nicoca-cola Truck Flight Co-Ordinator

Seconded. I laughed hard when I saw that suggestion.

Cloud (Christmas) likes this.
  8. Eddiebadassdavis

Thanks to @Cloud and everyone for the suggestion and opinions
    I will be making more suggestions soon.

Abe and Pembers in a Pear Tree like this.
  9. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

1. Leave me Alone! - Kochanski appears and tells Dave to PLEASE quit chasing her all over the Galaxy so she can finally have some peace. (the only Kochanski episode I want to see)

2. Heaven or Hell ? - The crew chance upon a race of GELF's who terraform uninhabited Planets and who make the best Curry Dave has ever had. The catch is said curries are actually their excrement. Can Dave put aside his disgust for the origin of it and live in bliss?

3. Back to Basic's - Cat decides to re-claim his heritage and live like his ancestors. Can the crew stand his litter box?

4. What a Guy - Now that Arnold is free from his "Fathers" disapproving gaze, he takes the AstroNav exam once again and PASSES. Now an Officer in his own right he surprises everyone and morph's into a less obnoxious Ace.

5. Earth 2 - The crew receive a message from "Earth". Its just like Dave remembers it down to every detail. Including another Dave! Yes, it was the missing nano-bots and they constructed it from Dave's memory. Will Dave stay anyway?

6. Holly Jolly Time - Finding a derelict mining ship of the same class as Red Dwarf, the crew download its A.I. Holly which is undamaged and sane due to being powered down for so long. After installing it Holly gets increasingly erratic due to them not wiping and formatting the Drive he's installed on and old senile Holly makes a triumphant return! (a joint Kryten/Holly episode)

10. Pembers in a Pear Tree

Pembers in a Pear Tree Console Officer

Two episodes about the crews excrement might be a bit samey.

11. BigOleDummy

Lol,yeah......... thought that as I re-read it before posting :redface: but hey..... Maybe the Gelfs just regurgitate it instead. In fact...... I think I like that better! ;-)

12. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Supply Officer

Would it be fun if - as a mini anniversary celebration - there'd be a seventh episode in the new series in the style of those American flashback episodes? Maybe the boys locked in a room on the Dwarf, waiting for the door to open for some reason and looking back on key moments in the show. It would be a fun way of celebrating the past and still getting extra new material ...

BigOleDummy likes this.
  13. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

I wouldn't mind something like a much shortened version of the 10th anniversary special (It'd have to be shortened since I can't imagine anyone OK-ing the budget for something like that these days), but I'd have to vote "No" to a flashback show. Those only seem to be done on US shows when the writers seem to be running out of ideas or are feeling a bit lazy and as a result usually feature very little actual new material, in any case if I wanted to watch key moments from the show I can just crack out the DVDs and do so without needing to be pointed in the direction by the characters stuck in a room saying things like "Remember when you left to be Ace and we had to replace you with Kochanski...?" before the fade to a early scene.

There's enough criticism of Doug when he appears to be reusing old material as it is, imagine how bad it would be if there was a whole episode which consisted almost entirely of literally reusing old material!

Václav Claus likes this.
  14. BigOleDummy

Oh I don't know....... maybe an hour special of half old and half new might work. It would maybe interest newer fans in some of the old stuff (and get them to buy the DVD's ;-)) and still give older fans something new. I do agree with you @Simonr1978 about Doug getting enough grief as it is, but think about it ........... when XIII does come out I would bet money (and I'm no gambler) that unless XIV is already a "thing" that it will be the last. None of our Dwarfers are getting any younger and now you would be talking at LEAST 2 or more years down the road. Even they would probably a bit tired of it by then and ready to rest on their laurels a bit. The grief about repeating things would be a moot point by then.

DivineVarod likes this.
  15. DivineVarod

That's why I said a seventh episode, as a bonus to the usual 6. So instead of missing out on an episode there'd be an extra anniversary one.

16. Simonr1978

I know, which is why I specifically didn't mention missing out on an actual episode. I'm clearly biased because I really don't like flashback episodes. IMO they're the result of lazy or indifferent writing and often little more than a transparent attempt at padding the season when the writers can literally think of nothing original to put in.

I'd rather see something like a Crystal Maze special with the cast competing in character. Edit: Or Red Dwarf Taskmaster.

I don't think newer fans are going to be unaware of the DVDs to begin with, especially these days with the internet and whilst I appreciate that everyone's got to start their personal Red Dwarf journey I'd be surprised if many if at all of the Dave era fans haven't at least seen the old episodes if not bought them. US style flashback episodes in my experience also tend not to be half-and-half, it's usually a very brief "Yeah, remember that time when you..." followed by a minute or two clip then a "That was nothing, I remember when you..." followed by another clip. Actual new material of any substance tends to be very thin on the ground.

I believe the current crew have all said that they want to carry on doing it as long as it or they last. Whilst I appreciate that they're older too, it's not like this is the hectic pace of the early 1990s where they were churning out a series every at one stage. By the time of XIII and/or XIV (I'd take a guess that if the budget's available, they'd opt to do a double back-to-back again as it seemed to work last time) it will have been years since they last got into character. They had plenty of time to rest on their laurels in the hiatus after VIII and they all still jumped at the chance to come back.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  17. BigOleDummy

Yeah, you DO have a point there I concede.

Yes, it worked very well in fact. Imho of course. And I truly hope they do for multiple reasons, but everything I've found about it only mentions XIII .......... probably.

That's also true, but they all have other interests as well. And lets get morbid a minute Craig's 53 , Chris is 58, (Did you know there's an Admiral Chris Barrie? Australian Navy. Told you I liked trivia! :-D), Danny is 57 and Robert is 62. At some point in the near future one or more of them will either hang it up completely or be forced to for health reasons. If you add even one more delay of even a year or so that's even MORE likely.

While I am not a "huge" fan of the anthology type shows/episodes anything "extra" will be appreciated by me.

18. Simonr1978

Still none of them are terribly old. There was a British sitcom called Last of the Summer Wine which ran from the 1970s until 2010 and throughout the show's peak around the early 1990s they were around their 70s. At least one of them was nearly 90 when the show ended! Whilst I wouldn't necessarily want to see Red Dwarf: Geriatrics in Space, based of that we could potentially still have a few more decades of Red Dwarf ahead of us.

Didn't know about Admiral Barrie though, thanks for that. I'm sure Rimmer would be proud. Or jealous. Probably jealous.

19. BigOleDummy

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Well, you're much more optimistic than I am. I have seen a few episodes of Last of the Summer Wine, the few I've seen were quite funny.

20. DivineVarod

The thing is Last of the Summer Wine is a rather different series compared to Red Dwarf. It's not action packed, no audience, no special effects or long cold 18 hour filming days in warehouses or for the oldest cast member to dress up in a heavy suit with hot mask ...
    At the end of the filming of the last Dwarf series all cast members except Craig had been ill and Chris had collapsed and suffered a hernia. If the series continues (which I really want them too) they maybe should stay away from certain things. I'd rather have more dialogue than for the actors to exhaust themselves and fall ill ...

BigOleDummy likes this.