More Scary Monsters Super Creeps please

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by 2X4B-523P, Sep 29, 2017.

1. 2X4B-523P

2X4B-523P Third Technician

With Series XI & XII being filmed in one run more or less I'm hoping for more horror aspects like the Rimmer Monster, Cat's Fling with Polymorph and the unhinged Asclepius. Classic era included some chilling stuff from Rimmer's Kinky Alter ego and of course Mr Flibble, Season 3's Polymorph setting the trend of Big laughs and Big trouble in the little rouge one with the boys from the dwarf running for their lives scenario re-appearing through 5 and 6. Fingers crossed for more freaky creatures and 'leggit' moments in XII. Which of the monsters the crew have met made you the most freaked out, for me it has to be Crazy Rimmer from Quarantine, though the Rimmer Monster is a 12 change of underwear trip.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Wenceslas and Decembers like this.
  2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

For me, it's definitely the multiple-headed Rimmer monster which you mentioned in your post. It was pure nightmare fuel and is the scariest and most disturbing adversary we've seen in all twelve seasons so far. Even its voice was scary. It's just a shame it didn't get a proper death scene. Another one that I liked was the mutton vindaloo beast from DNA, which got the death that the Rimmer monster should have got. It wasn't as terrifying as the Rimmer monster, but it still looked bizarre. I also like the way it was accompanied by sitar music on the soundtrack, which was a nice little touch. I might be in a minority but I also have a fondness for the Low version of Lister in Demons and Angels and his bizarre laugh that sounds like a chainsaw starting up. Many (or most) probably find him annoying, but it was one of my all time favourite Craig Charles performances.

2X4B-523P likes this.
  3. 2X4B-523P

Yep, the Low Lister is much more unsettling than Cat's erm prehistoric semi-ape man and Kryten's mad bot, but goth Holly is rather striking

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I never liked Hattie as Holly, but I did like the extremely brief look we got at her Low version in Demons and Angels. I wish she'd got more than just one line.

2X4B-523P likes this.
  5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

He's referring to the Low Holly, who makes a mini appearance in Demons and Angels.
    [​IMG]

6. BadOleSantabot

BadOleSantabot Deck Sergeant

The Low Rimmer for me I guess. I'm tired to death of Polymorphs myself and feel the concept is overworked.I liked Legion for a villain also, the gestalt idea is ...... a little frightening to me, losing your identity in the whole. Lol, I liked the Simulants as monsters too, kind of a warning for mans hubris. Plus the ones in X 's "The Beginning" are funny as it comes. (the actors are GREAT in that episode)

2X4B-523P likes this.
  7. 2X4B-523P

I forgot to mention The unspeakable one. Rimmerworld again is an example of a run around, but character based and certainly creepy and out there (or in there ie. Rimmer's sick mind scape). 'Quick.. Grab the Bazookoids' did get a bit samey, the moments in Can of Worms, the multiple stand off/ Lister made Sociopath were great concepts and funny, but the atmosphere lacked due to Ed Bye's absence. The look of Red dwarf XI was much more in the season 4/5 aesthetic but just lacks an auteur feel, Why wasn't Ed Bye approached for Dave Red Dwarf? Did he fall out with Doug? As much as IMO Season 7 isn't all that bad, Season 8 really is...They did look good.

8. BadOleSantabot

BadOleSantabot Deck Sergeant

Lol, Rimmerworld sprang to my mind almost immediately when reading the title of this thread! Now THAT'S scary. And.... all those little Rimmers in "The Rimmer Experience" in Blue. (series 7) I LMAO everytime I see it, but they are the stuff of nightmares!

But as they aren't "monsters" per se I didn't include them in my initial post.

2X4B-523P likes this.
  9. 2X4B-523P

Re Scary Monsters and Super Creeps and Bowie, apart from the Red Dwarf theme homaging Loving the alien, are there any other David Bowie connections out there?

10. 2X4B-523P

The Mini Rimmers in Back To Earth are quite un-nerving too. ' Visitors sir'. Re Blade Runner was surprised the trailers for Red Dwarf 12 homaged Thor when BR 2049 is being released around RD return to Dave. Re threat in the narrative re-watching the Inquisitor am hoping the run for your life there goes reality returns. Ok, Can you tell I rate Season 5.

11. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I always found Caroline Carmen pretty creepy.

Well, there's the whole space thing for a start - probably the main reason I got into Bowie when I was younger! More specifically, Lister mentions Major Tom in BITR part 3.

Other than that, I suppose there's the Labyrinth connection, with both Danny John-Jules and Charles Augins being involved there. And didn't Duncan Jones's Moon recycle models that had been made for the RD movie? I'm sure I read that somewhere. Anyway, I guess that's getting a little tangential!

I always thought that 'Loving the Alien' was the inspiration for the RD theme, until I recently heard this Dionne Warwick song (listen from about 2:17, it's totally Red Dwarf-tastic!!)

I've also heard that rising five-note motif in other 60s songs, and since the theme was supposed to be a 60s pastiche maybe that was the actual inspiration rather than LTA? Or perhaps a bit of both.

Yule Sleigher and 2X4B-523P like this.
  12. 2X4B-523P

Trying to avoid a Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon....but Chris Barrie was Tomb Raider, so was Angela Jolie who married Brad Pitt, who had a minor part in True Romance, (Directed by Tony Scott who directed The Hunger with David Bowie) written by Quentin Tarantino Who in Kill Bill Vol. 2 homages Darryl Hannah's death scene in Blade Runner that inspired Red Dwarf featuring Chris Barrie. I think this might be another thread altogether.

13. 2X4B-523P

Back to Monsters in Red Dwarf, Most of the dark side of Rimmer and Lister has been discussed in either Terroforming planets or the novels, but apart from Kryten without guilt and a Tramp style Cat, I'd love to see either an evil Cat, more a stylish psycho than a ' demons & angels' thug or a harsh calculating Android Villain Kryten more in the style of Hal or the recent Alien Movies. But bring back the Curry Monster! or a Bhaji Beast and that's just for starers.

Decembers likes this.
  14. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

Doug has a habit of reusing elements such as the despair squid and polymorph. I'd like more like new creations, the Rimmer Monster as others have mentioned, that was one of my favourite episodes from the new series.

2X4B-523P likes this.
  15. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

Self-loathing from 'Terrorform' and the Rimmer monster from 'Officer Rimmer' we're both masterpieces of comedy horror. For my money, nothing gives me the heebies like The Inquisitor. Apart from being scary, his sheer invulnerability, his insistence that we justify our existence (I wouldn't know where to start), and his ability to erase one from reality altogether, make him about as scary as they come.

16. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Anyone else think the only thing preventing Cat from being a Lex Luthor style supervillain is the fact he is so utterly stupid?

I'd love an episode where they give Cat an IQ boost and his psychopathy becomes a serious threat to the crew, like he realises with his intellect he no longer depends on the crew and tries to 'remove' them. You could let Danny leave the wig for once as he embraces his evilness.

2X4B-523P likes this.
  17. Radio Pluto

Radio Pluto First Technician

18. 2X4B-523P

In 1996 My brother and I wrote a fan script called Catflap, involving Cat meeting two races of Cats, one race was really nerdy The Geek and the other only three of them were The Cool. One of The Cool we imagined played by Peter Wingarde aka Jason King who decided he was the coolest cat in the universe and had plans to wipe out not only the nerdy cats but everyone else in the universe. It also involved Kryten punching Lister ( Samsara? ) in a boxing match set up by Rimmer too. Your notion for an IQ boosted Cat is very cool.