More show or opening titles?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KingR76, Feb 27, 2012.

1. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

This from Doug:

"RDX - Given a choice between opening titles or an extrea 20 secs of show or more show and faster closing creds what would it be. Vote now."

"Next question: should most music links be versions and variations of Red Dwarf theme tune as in days of old?"

"Last question for tonight. Opening titles: Sombre (like S1 and S2) or montage of clips from the show like S3 - S8?"

Just now:

"Discovered today no money was put in the budget for music, apart from opening + closing credits. Me and a kazoo for action sequences then."

2. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I want opening credits! the episodes in VII without them always seemed weird.

3. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Its looking good and to be honest I think its really nice of Doug to actually allow us to have input like this :-) Talk about notching up viewer/Audience participiation up that little bit further, this reminds me of him telling us how he had to fight to get the Audience in :-)

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'd prefer opening credit and a shorter end sequence. I like the idea of having a prologue sequence before the credits though like they sometimes did in Series VII, (like the Stoke me a Clipper Ace Rimmer James Bond gag for example) but not for every episode. I've often thought the opening scene in The Inquisitor would have benefited from that.

5. ojgodsalve

ojgodsalve Skutter

The uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end
    I would prefer a longer series 1 style intro. It would be enjoyable to see some nice, extensive Red Dwarf model shots. I don't think that the musical links between scenes will be a problem, but I suppose I would like to hear some new little tunes.

6. ajrimmer2012

ajrimmer2012 Third Technician

I think all eight openings (I'm saying eight because I & II had the same opening) were/are perfect. And I agree with most of those who say that the clips in said opening are non-spoilers and keep us intrigued for what's to come in the future episodes.

Here's an idea - can't remember if I've put it up before - but I think there should be a message from each character to give a little story of something unrelated to the episode that had happened in that week ala like Holly mentioning that moon that looked like Marylin Monroe/ Felicity Kendell's bottom. For e.g: Lister (ep. 1), Rimmer (ep. 2) Kryten (ep. 3), The Cat (ep. 4), Lister AND Rimmer (ep. 5) and Kryten AND Lister for episode six.

I know it might be late to offer this suggestion for THIS series but - fingers crossed - hopefully, it could be used for Series 11/XI.

Other than that: ROLL ON AUTUMN 2012 - RED DWARF IS BACK WHERE IT BELONGS...ON TV!

7. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I don't want to lose the opening and end credits, I consider them an important part of the show. I think Episode 1 should start with the somber opening, similar to Series 1 and 2 opening. It would be a great way to introduce the new show and show off the new Red Dwarf model. From Episode 2 onwards they should move back to the faster, montage opening.

8. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Am I the only person who thinks the only thing stranger than Doug asking a question to which the only sensible answer is, 'more show,' is that the only answers we're getting say,'less show'?:?

9. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Series 3-8/BtE style intros please.

10. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

I think it really depends on the tone he wants to set for the show. I think there's an awful lot to be said for the S1/2 opening - it really was beautiful and a recreation using modern editing could be even better (the zoom out from Lister to the wide shot of the ship).

But it would open the show with the despairing tone of S1/2 - that sense that they're far off in deep space, in the middle of nowhere, with possibly nothing to live for. I don't know if that's the tone he wants for RDX.

11. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

I agree with this. The 1/2 opening suited the 1/2 style, the later ones suited the later series.

12. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

The closing credits need to be slow enough to read the names of the people who put their all into making the show.

These days it's 'squash the end credits and make them zoom past so fast they're blurred'.

13. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Who cares who the Best Boy was? I'd rather more content than a list of names of people I've never heard of.

14. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

That's actually probably a good side to the series being on Dave rather than BBC2 - no annoying BBC credit-squeezing guidelines...

15. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

The Best Boy may have a thing or two to say about that. :-)

16. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I think it's important to credit those who worked their socks off to bring us a new series of Red Dwarf. You might not have any interest in who is working behind the scenes, but I certainly do and I think they deserve their names being on the end credits. Without them there wouldn't be any new series of Red Dwarf.

That being said, however, I have no idea what a Best Boy does and I don't recall ever seeing that credit on an episode of Red Dwarf, but if he has helped to bring an episode of Red Dwarf to us then I'm happy for his name to be there.

17. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I think if it helps the story to have the credit at the beginning replaced with an intro as in some of S7 then yes def more show, but I doubt every episode would benefit so some with opening credits and some without.

Now where is that fence, I need a sit down.

18. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

I remember the Doctor Who credits were speeded up for series 4. I mean, so fast they were just blurred. At the end of one of the end credits there was a dedication to an actor who had died. But the dedication just followed the credits at the same speed. Crazy.

I remember RTD saying end credits now had to be a certain length for the Beeb. So it was either miss people out and have them readable or include everyone and up the speed so it's too hard to read. So they opted for the latter.

But, hopefully, Dave wont have the same guidelines :-)

19. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

:shock:......1 point for honesty. Minus 5 million points for not showing respect to the many hard working people it takes to create each show.

20. Old_Ironbutt

Old_Ironbutt Third Technician

Less show for added credits isn't favourable.
    Series 3 onwards style 'teaser clips' I preferred over Series 1/2 openings.