More show or opening titles?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KingR76, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

On Twitter.

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Why did Doug ask these questions? Displays a lack of confidence in his own ability/judgement?

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

To just get a feel of what the fans think, I'd imagine. Even if he is indecisive about this that doesn't mean he lacks confidence. People research things all the time before making a choice. This is just another form of that.

4. teeheehoddleha

teeheehoddleha Third Technician

Well said, Presuming Ed. The original poster also ignores the fact that the plot line of the very first episode of Only Fools revolves around the young Rodney trying to break free from his overbearing brother, yet realising that he cannot yet survive without him. A pretty domestic issue if you ask me, and one which reappeared throughout the life of the show. Only Fools almost always got the drama spot on; which is one of the reasons why the comedy works so well. We are not just seeing 2 dimensional characters spouting funny lines and firing insults at each other; we are invested in the family life of the Trotters and we laugh and cry with them.

Simulant37, I'm not quite sure where in the 50 minute episodes you are seeing rot (or even in the episodes beyond that, with the already mentioned exception of the final trilogy - which failed in no small way due to its lack of real drama or opportunity to invest in the characters). In my eyes, the 1989 series is Sullivan's masterpiece - the hilarity of the Propane filled dolls, or the infamous bar scene, perfectly balanced with moments of genuine drama, such as Del treating his own wounds after his beating at the hands of the Driscoll brothers, or the heartbreaking scene at the end of that same episode as he stands in the empty room after Rodney's wedding reception. (I would like to think the emotion I feel during that scene is stirred by David Jason's performance and not by the Simply Red track playing in the background).